Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-08-2015, 08:42 AM   #1  

Default Oatmeal for breakfast

So I have been doing oatmeal for bfast almost every day. I often get those cups that are just add water, and they often have nuts, raisins, berries etc in them. I also like the low sugar ones, but the cups range from 160 to 280 calories and 7 to 17 g of sugar. I have read some say this is not good on a diet, but I honestly don't eat much sugar at all, so would it still hurt to have the oatmeal cups for breakfast? They are easy and keep me full. I sometimes have a hard boiled egg and some string cheese or turkey sausage instead. I used to have bagels or frozen breakfast sandwiches or waffles or too often, fast food, for breakfast, so I imagine oatmeal cups are an "OK" Exchange?
FatMomNoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:03 AM   #2  

I'm no nutritional expert, but this sounds pretty good to me. At least you're having this for breakfast and not at the end of the day when you won't use the sugar/carbs… Oats are so filling as well, I always have porridge in the winter and in summer I'm making smoothies with powdered oats in them and it keeps me full all morning.

Just listen to your body and see what it's telling you, but sounds pretty healthy to me!
unicorn22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #3  

Thanks. I am watching my gluten intake too, I had a hamburger over the weekend and the bun did me in so to speak, I was careful the next day and was OK. Oatmeal doesn't seem to bother me, or other things with more fiber and less gluten etc. Good point about morning vs end of day - yes end of day meal is meat and veggie heavy anyway.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:06 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 152/104/102

Height: 5'2"

I would try to limit breakfast sugar to under 10 grams if possible.
kristip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #5  
I Can Do This

S/C/G: S 270/C Ticker/MiniGoal#1 170

Height: 5' 5"

The oatmeal is a definite step up from prior breakfasts! Mine was often poptarts ;-(

Maybe give a shot at making your own. Regular rolled oats in the microwave takes 3 minutes. I keep frozen fruit on hand and always have raisins around. It takes probably a minute or so more than the cups. Whatever the Oatmeal in a Cup people are doing, I can pretty much replicate easily and a lot cheaper ;-)

During the winter we eat a lot of steel cut oats which I LOVE. I cook a big batch in the crockpot overnight. I keep it in the fridge and we dish out and microwave as necessary.

The rolled and steel cut allow me to use the amount and type of sweetener I prefer. Hubby tends to go with honey. I bounce between stevia, maple syrup or honey.
Vickie Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #6  

I personally would go with old fashion oats and add to it myself, like Vickie Chickie, but one step at a time. You have improved on your previous food choices. When you are ready for another change try doing what Vickie suggested.
Can I ask why you are watching your gluten? Do you have celiacs? To my understanding gluten is not something you can eat in small amounts and see the results, ether you eliminate it 100% or don't bother. I also understand it that it can take weeks to fully rid your system of gluten. If you actually have an intolerance it can work wonders, but don't just avoid gluten because its trendy.
GlamourGirl827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:56 AM   #7  
From Lazy to Light!

S/C/G: 215/Ticker/170

Height: 5'6"

You can always make your own so you have control over the amount of sugar that goes into them.

Instant Oatmeal Jars
LovelyLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 12:09 PM   #8  

Oh no I'm not avoiding gluten because it's trendy trust me. In starting this journey, my IBS symptoms were through the roof. Eliminating chemicals (ie fast food) high amounts of fats, diet soda (aspartame) and large amounts of gluten I have seen a huge shift. I know I certainly feel better and my diarrhea is finally in check for the most part. After I had the hamburger on Saturday it was absolutely awful.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:52 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 181/ticker/115

I think nowadays many people around here eats their oatmeal with cottage cheese (low calorie, high protein!) and frozen berries. The oatmeal itself is made from scratch with just oats, water and a pinch of salt. The salt is really important. I was shocked when I learned that everyone doesn't put it in their oatmeal.
pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:07 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW 233/SW 230/207/165

Height: 5'3"

I just nuked 1/2 C of rolled oats this morning (2 mins). I added Earth Balance dairy spread, a dash of 1% milk and sugar free maple syrup, although I'm sure you could use agave instead, if you are avoiding Splenda, etc.
katiam247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 12:56 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

To me, that doesn't seem like too much sugar. I think it really depends on how it makes you feel. My body does well on higher carb diets, while I know that wreaks havoc on other people. If you feel satisfied and healthy, then I wouldn't worry about it too much. But making your own oatmeal is also a great suggestion. I do this a lot with overnight oats. I mix everything together the night before and then eat it cold in the morning (or you can microwave it too of course). I generally put in 1/2 cup steel cut or old fashioned oats with 3/4 cup almond milk (I'm lactose intolerant so I use nondairy milk, but regular milk works just fine too, or you could use water), and a pinch of salt. That's the base I use, and then the rest changes depending on my flavor mood that night. Sometimes I put in PB2 powder with a teaspoon of sugar, or sometimes in the morning I'll add a chopped up apple and some honey, or sometimes berries or bananas with no extra sugar. Whatever you feel like, really, and it has always turned out great for me!
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:55 PM   #12  
Faking it 'til I feel it

S/C/G: 210/190/133

Height: 5'5"

Sorry if this is a daft question, but does anyone know if oatmeal is the same as what we Brits call porridge? I think it is....

I love it made with half milk/half water (saves some calories and still tastes creamy) and some cinnamon, served with stewed apples and a dollop of cold plain yoghurt.

Or in the summer Bircher oats - soak rolled oats in apple juice overnight, maybe with some cinnamon and raisins, then in the morning serve (no cooking) with grated apple mixed through and some plain yoghurt. This is great because there isn't much to do in the morning.
EnolaAlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:46 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatMomNoMore View Post
So I have been doing oatmeal for bfast almost every day. I often get those cups that are just add water, and they often have nuts, raisins, berries etc in them. I also like the low sugar ones, but the cups range from 160 to 280 calories and 7 to 17 g of sugar. I have read some say this is not good on a diet, but I honestly don't eat much sugar at all, so would it still hurt to have the oatmeal cups for breakfast? They are easy and keep me full. I sometimes have a hard boiled egg and some string cheese or turkey sausage instead. I used to have bagels or frozen breakfast sandwiches or waffles or too often, fast food, for breakfast, so I imagine oatmeal cups are an "OK" Exchange?
I was having tummy troubles from my zero carb diet & decided I needed to do what my dad used to do to get his "guts back in shape" (as he always said).. so I started eating oatmeal for breakfast about a week ago & I feel 100% better... I started out with old-fashioned rolled oats, but a couple of days ago I bought a box of steel-cut oats... love them!!!.. not as mushy, more texture than rolled... I sometimes add a little fruit or chopped pecans, but most of the time I just add a little almond milk & Stevia... after this experience, I don't think I could go back to zero carb, but I think I can still do low-carb, having oatmeal as my only carb... so far, that's working...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnolaAlone View Post
Sorry if this is a daft question, but does anyone know if oatmeal is the same as what we Brits call porridge? I think it is....

I love it made with half milk/half water (saves some calories and still tastes creamy) and some cinnamon, served with stewed apples and a dollop of cold plain yoghurt.

Or in the summer Bircher oats - soak rolled oats in apple juice overnight, maybe with some cinnamon and raisins, then in the morning serve (no cooking) with grated apple mixed through and some plain yoghurt. This is great because there isn't much to do in the morning.
Yes, American oatmeal = UK porridge... thanks for the suggestion of adding yogurt... & I love cinnamon, great idea!..
Aunt Sheshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 12:18 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatMomNoMore View Post
It actually depends a lot on your diet I would guess!
For example if you are doing low carb, oatmeal for breakfast would be a big no-no.

However, in the bigger scheme of things only you calorie intake and your calorie need matter.
Camilla76 is offline   Reply With Quote