Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-16-2015, 09:49 PM   #1  

Exclamation foods that dont need a fridge??

Ok so i dont have a fridge, LOL i know we live off grid and dont ahve a fridge figured out yet. so im needing to lose 40-50 lbs and im needing food ideas that dont need a fridge or freezer. Maybe i should just do slimfast or something??
willowcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:29 AM   #2  
maintaining since 9/2013

If you can go to a store often, you can eat a lot of great fresh food without a fridge. Slimfast & diets like it require supplementation with real food too.
mars735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:15 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I'm amazed you don't have a fridge but have internet. Depending on where you are, yeah you might have to go to the market more often. And obviously you'd have to somehow ensure you don't have leftovers.

Counting calories are your friend. Things like peanut butter and almond butter don't have to be refrigerated.

You might have to look into cooking methods for your special situation. How to keep things so you can prevent bacteria in things you cook and the like.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 11:26 AM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

You can try doing less of what you are currently eating, for one, since you already have some sort of fridgeless eating plan going.

Maybe take a look at what you're currently eating and just make some judicious substitutions instead of trying to come up with a wholesale NEW eating style. Like fruit and oatmeal for breakfast instead of danishes (or whatever, since I don't know what you're eating).

Good luck to you!

Last edited by Mrs Snark; 01-17-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #5  

It sounds like a decent option might be to cut out dairy and meat products until you can get a suitable cooling system? (aka: go vegan for a bit!)

Most (if not all) root veggies and fruits are perfectly fine with being set at room temperature. In fact, I keep all of my fruit in a bowl on the kitchen table and just grab a handful of berries or what-have-you when I feel the need. You can substitute milk for almond, soy, rice, or coconut milk which can be kept at room temp. In most recipes, eggs can be substituted with ground flax seeds. All of your grains, beans, and legumes can be room room temp as well as some meat replacement items (Tofu if packaged in a sealed container might not need to be refrigerated until opened).

Another solution might depend on where you live. If it's winter with an average temperature of around/below freezing, you might be able to store your dairy/animal products in a cooler outside. If you do this, I'd suggest you buy a thermometer to put inside the cooler so you can keep tabs on your food. I'd also suggest looking up the items you plan to store to see what temp they're best preserved at and for how long. (After a google search: The inside of the cooler should be no warmer than 4C/40F in temperature.) I've stored cheese, milk, and cold cuts for around 4 days in a cooler several times with no issues on camping trips, but raw meat products might go bad quicker.

You'll still have to go to the store more often like everyone else is suggesting, but it might cut the trips down a bit.

Hope this helps!
BlackBoxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:55 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Most of the food I eat doesn't need a fridge.

Go canned. Canned fish, chicken, veggies, hummus. Keeps for ages. I also eat a lot of dried fruit (figs, dates, apricots). No fridge required. Keeps for years.

Last edited by IanG; 01-17-2015 at 06:56 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:45 PM   #7  

Im scarred to do to much canned as of what is in the cans themselves. Altho we have been adding more to the diet. Im able to go to town shopping once a week at most normally every second week. We live an hour out of town and its kidding, calving, and foaling season so someone always has to be on hand. We end up with alot of packaged foods witch are high in calories (chips and what have you). Right now we are in the freezing temps so i am able to keep some stuff in a cooler outside. If you dont mind milk with ice in it lol
Nelie we have internet but no phone LOL run off solor and generator. We have a propane fridge but it trys to kill us so its not an option. We are hoping to buy Solor eventually but thats $4000 i definitely dont have.
So trying to figure out how to get my weight back under control with the situation we have. I think alot of it is just i have to learn and relearn what can sit on the counter and what cant and how to store things better with out the fridge. Food ideas are a great help.
willowcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 10:37 AM   #8  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

I would suggest getting a dehydrator and making jerky out of different meats. Especially venison, if possible. You can also make dried fruit in a dehydrator.

I would suggest canned tuna (in water) with mustard instead of mayo. Its tasty and low cal. Plus, it doesn't need refrigerated if you eat it right away.

Any sort of root vegetable or squash will last for a while as long as its kept cool and out of sunlight. Squash is especially healthy and versatile. You can saute it with olive oil, bread with panko and bake it, or use spaghetti squash as pasta.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote