Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW242/CW207/GW150

Height: 5'3

Default Fruits-too much sugar and carbs?

A friend and coworker of mine has began a bootcamp that gave them a meal plan. She recently told me that she was told she isn't allowed to eat fruit, unless she chooses to on her cheat days, because it has too much sugar and carbs. I have heard a lot of people saying fruits do not have a lot of sugars because they are natural sugars and people saying to try not to eat fruits?
tinamariefitforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Low carb people eat very little, if any fruit. I've incorporated fruit into my diet from Day 1.

If you are following a low/lowered carb diet, there are fruits that tend to have less sugar such as berries and melons.

Fruit is full of antioxidants and phytonutrients. Antioxidants are important for long term health. Also, fruit has a variety of nutrients such as vitamin C. It also helps many stay away from other sweet treats by eating fruit. I just think that you need to not overdo it and eat it in moderation.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Fruits are natural sugar which some people find stalls their weight loss, keeps them craving more high carbohydrate foods, or stimulates their appetite. How they affect you is really all trial and error.

After years of no fruit, I added one serving per day for the past few months with no problems.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #4  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I eat quite a bit of fruit, as much as I want actually. If I were you, I wouldn't cut out fruit unless you establish that YOU have a problem with it.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/195/150

Height: 5'3"

I actually tend to lose a bit more weight when I'm eating a lot of fruit, so I guess it depends on the person.
Melarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:43 PM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

This is another one of these very individual things and you just need to see what works for you. Fruits (most of them) are fine for me, but I still limit them as some are caloric without filling me up - like mangos and bananas and peaches. I will eat blueberries and apples though as they either have little calories (blueberries) or are very filling (fiber in apples).

And I eat lowish carb... But not a specific diet, just one that works for me... And that is what I have figured out - for me.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #7  
it's always something

I don't limit fruit because it's a great source of antioxidants, fiber, etc. The sweetness of fresh fruit satisfies me, so I don't crave added sugars. The general guidelines are to limit 'added sugars', not those that occur naturally in fruits and other foods. I eat fruit a few times a day, and try to get a range of colors for more nutritional punch.

I prefer my fruit naked and pure. I think the only time fruit can become a problem is if it's in cobbler or pie
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #8  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Yes, fruit has fairly high carb counts and it varies wildly depending on the item. So if your plan aims to limit carbs it follows that, at least for the weight loss portion of your plan, fruit will be limited as well. But this is something that individual tolerance dictates - I am very low carb and still eat the occasional serving of berries (quite low in sugar for fruit) and others can transition back all the way to pineapple and mango, some of the most sugar laden and starchy fruits. It just depends on the person and plan.

But your coworker is correct.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote