Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-05-2013, 06:17 PM   #1  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

Default Veggie "meats"

I ventured into Publix today for some things to make a recipe with that included meatless burger patties, better known as a veggie burger! I got the Morningstar kind, and I also picked up some maple-flavored meatless sausage patties because I've been really craving maple sausage, but not the calories!

My question is, do these veggie meat-substitutes count as a serving of vegetables? If so, that's great; I found a nomalicious way of eating vegetables!

But anyway, what do y'all think of these things? And what of the vegetarian meats do you like/prefer/recommend? I explored these a lot when I attempted to be a vegetarian in high school, but now I just think they'd be great lower-calorie/healthier substitutes for some of my favorite meat dishes.
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:15 PM   #2  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I used to practically live on Amy's frozen stuff when I was in college... But Morningstar has some good stuff as well... and if you dress up a Boca Burger it can be pretty good... and if you come across stuff from Gardein their veggie "faux meats" are pretty good as well and are pretty passable in stir-frys and things like that...

And although some of the veggie burgers might have some actual vegetables in them they are all pretty much based on soy, or beans, maybe wheat gluten, or nuts, or maybe sunflower seeds... So probably not a whole serving of veggies in there... But who knows I'm sure there probably is a "veggie" burger out there that is actually all veg...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

There are some veggie burgers that are grain based, bean based, veggie based or nut/seed based. If you want some that are more veggie based, I'd look into Dr. praegers or California style veggie burgers.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #4  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

Sadly most of these things are soy based. If you're trying out this kind of thing, I love Morningstar's Spicy Black Bean Burgers, Buffalo Chik Wings, and the Italian Style Chik Patty. Best of all, they're microwavable.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #5  
Patience & Tenacity

S/C/G: 386/T/154

I pretty sure they are counted as a protein and not a vegetable.

I love veggie burgers. There is a newer brand to me and they make huge veggie burger called Grillin Life. I also use the crumbles to make taco meat.

That maple-flavored sausage pattie really hits the spot. I also love morningstar's corn dogs, but they are harder and harder to find.

Any fake chicken and i buy Quorn brand.
FrecklesTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

MorningStar Grillers Prime are my favorite of their veggie burgers...they taste more like a real burger to me.
GordonGirl16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I'm not vegetarian, buy I love the veggie patties. I always count them as protein or grain, depending on the ingredients and nutrition label. Occasionally, you'll find a brand that lists exchange values for dieters and diabetics (or you can find the exchange values by searching online, just type the product name into your search engine along with the words: diabetic exchanges).

The highest veggie content I ever remember seeing was 1/4 serving (and it may have been for two patties).

Morningstar Farms Asian Veggie patties are awesome. They taste like eggroll filling, so I buy them when I'm craving eggrolls.

I just looked uo the food exchanges and each patty counts as one carbohydrate (no veggie).

Last edited by kaplods; 05-26-2013 at 04:06 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #8  
under construction

Height: 5'6

i guess it depends on the meat sub most are soy based ...

i am attempting this vegetarianism again .... and there are alot of vegetarian meat substitutes in indian/middle eastern cooking while its a little unconventional it does taste yummy

you can make your own falafel and shape it out like a burger patty that is mostly chick peas based but you can sneak a few pieces of veggies in there i pan fry mine so i dont have to dunk them in oil

we also make something called pakoras ( think spiced vegetable tempura ) you can use any vegs you like in pretty much any cut you like dip it into the batter and then pan fry it ,

i like lightly battered thinly cut slices of eggplant with pesto sauce roma tomatoes and garlic rolls .... the batter and eggplant texture is kinda meaty
modifyeddoll87 is offline   Reply With Quote