Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 10-26-2012, 02:07 PM   #46  
Joe

S/C/G: 405/249.5/281.5/220

Height: 6' 0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfinca View Post
I weigh out an ounce or so and call it a day.

My husband on the other hand will never know moderation with nuts.

I do believe they are a healthy food and and an oz or 1 1/2 oz. is enough to keep me satisfied and can be worked into my daily calorie count.
I find it hard to eat them in moderation too. Sometimes I can, sometimes I eat too much. Lately I have been substituting almonds for my protein bar at night when I don't really have a sweet tooth, but want something savory. With my bar, I know I won't eat too much -- because I won't open another one. Without the portion control, I am prone to eating too many. Perhaps I will try dividing up the bag of almonds into 1 oz portions and place them in snack size zip-locks.
joefla70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #47  

Height: 5'10

it's easy to eat a lot of nuts, yea. What I do is grab 4-5 almonds when I am about to go outside. I don't have any desire to eat more because my mind goes elsewhere and even if I do, I am in the car already!
brethan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #48  
shwerk

S/C/G: 274/158/145

Height: 5'7"

oh maaan, agreed. cashews are a trigger food for me.
gagalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:10 PM   #49  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefla70 View Post
I find it hard to eat them in moderation too. Sometimes I can, sometimes I eat too much. Lately I have been substituting almonds for my protein bar at night when I don't really have a sweet tooth, but want something savory. With my bar, I know I won't eat too much -- because I won't open another one. Without the portion control, I am prone to eating too many. Perhaps I will try dividing up the bag of almonds into 1 oz portions and place them in snack size zip-locks.
Pre-portioning them is an excellent strategy, so long as you don't each a bunch while doling them out in baggies (I know I would ).
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #50  

Height: 5'8.5"

I should clarify... I do eat nuts often BUT I limit my portions and usually mix them into things rather than eat them alone. For example, a few mixed nuts stirred into Greek vanilla yogurt and fresh fruit makes a great lunch. And lately I have been mixing a few into brown rice, with Chipotle sauce, for lunch. It would definitely be easy to get carried away with them if I allowed myself, but I don't.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #51  
Fat Fierce Femme

S/C/G: 265/258/220

Height: 5'8"

give me nuts, or give me death.
i actually just put a few walnuts on my greek yogurt. full of omega 3's and not salty at all. yummerz.
proseandpassion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 07:53 PM   #52  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I eat 1 oz of almonds almost daily. I buy a 1 pound bag, weigh them into 1 0z portions and pack them in my lunch for an afternoon snalong with a piece of fruit. BUT they have to be unsalted! I have no portion control with salted ones and they just don't seem to satisfy me.
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #53  
Hi, I'm Lauren! :)

S/C/G: SW:209 / CW:184/ GW:~160

Height: 5'4

I have just discovered cinnamon roasted almonds; HALLELUJAH! They are mucho delicious. I put them in some vanilla yogurt, like someone on here suggested, and paired it with a sliced up apple, and omg it was so good! Almost like apple pie with ice cream. XD
mimsyborogoves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #54  
Designing my new physique

S/C/G: 316

Height: 5'7.5

I so agree. I can abuse them hwever I do have about 7 walnuts daily in my oats.
avalonmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #55  
Less of a Better Me

I eat nuts every day. They are my main snack. Mostly I eat pistachios that have shells on. Having to remove shells makes them last longer and I eat one at a time (instead of a handful). Yes, they are high calories but I find that a serving (basically 1/2 cup of pistachios with shells on or 1/4 c of nuts like almonds is a great healthy snack
Koshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:42 AM   #56  
GO.FRUIT.YOURSELF

S/C/G: 255/155/110 Fruitarian

Height: 5"2

Nuts are pure fat and once they are cooked they are toxic.

Even for people who eat fully raw diets like myself nuts are way to much calories from fat.
Melissamixedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #57  
the muse of memory

Roasting nuts does NOT make them toxic. In some cases, roasting nuts increases the antioxidant levels in the nuts. Many people who eat fully raw diets clearly rely in great part on nuts.

Yes, peanuts can be susceptible to a fungus that produces a toxin, but peanuts in the US are disease-resistant varieties and moreover peanuts are SCREENED for levels of the toxin and taken out of the production stream if they have higher than a fairly low amount.

I don't eat many nuts because they are a big trigger food for me, and it is so, so easy for me to eat too many. Also I want higher volume/lower calorie foods generally. But I appreciate nut products that are packaged in single serving sizes and do indulge in those sometimes. Because: delicious. Healthy fats. Protein.

Quote:
Pre-portioning them is an excellent strategy, so long as you don't each a bunch while doling them out in baggies (I know I would ).
Me too. I've found several stores that have preportioned almonds in 100 calorie packs. Some are roasted and plain, others dusted in cocoa. My local grocery store also now offers single-serving packages of pistachios, my favorite nuts, about 150 calories. The packages are often on sale for $1 each.

Last edited by mnemosyne; 11-20-2012 at 12:15 PM.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:30 AM   #58  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemosyne View Post

Me too. I've found several stores that have preportioned almonds in 100 calorie packs. Some are roasted and plain, others dusted in cocoa. My local grocery store also now offers single-serving packages of pistachios, my favorite nuts, about 150 calories. The packages are often on sale for $1 each.
I love those small packs. A bit more expensive, but certainly convenient. If I'm hungry a 100 cal pack of almonds is enough to keep me full for a while and came in handy when I—for reasons unknown to me—went black friday shopping at midnight. I always get hungry late at night, but I always ignore that and go to sleep and just eat in the morning...which I couldn't do if I had to go shopping instead. I always keep pistachios and almonds in my bag and that small pack of almonds kept me going!!

Something else might have been less calories, but it wouldn't have filled me up for as long as those almonds did. Thank you, healthy fats!
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #59  

I have to measure out a serving or two because ill literally eat the entire can...
chaitea115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #60  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnemosyne View Post
Me too. I've found several stores that have preportioned almonds in 100 calorie packs. Some are roasted and plain, others dusted in cocoa.
One caution about the cocoa coated ones... some of them are also coated in sugar. I love the Blue Diamond dark choc ones but don't eat them because of the sugar and Stevia (I avoid fake sugars). This is from the Blue Diamond site regarding these almonds.

"Our Dark Chocolate Oven-Roasted Almonds are made with real cocoa and loaded with rich chocolate flavor, blended with just the right amount of sugar and naturally no-calorie stevia extract."

They also contain corn products, which almost certainly means GMO

"almonds, sugar, cocoa powder (processed with alkali), corn maltodextrin, natural flavor (dark chocolate), sea salt and rebiana (stevia extract)."

Maltodextrin is basically an artificial sweetener made from starch (usually corn starch in the US)

Not discouraging people from eating these if you want; just noting that things are not always what they seem so good idea to check the labels and know what you are getting.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote