Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-14-2009, 10:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Default salad vinegars - suggestions

I was reading the gourmet thread and some people said they like special vinegars for use on salads. The last few months I gave up regular bottled salad dressing and have been making my own with the Good Seasonings packets and using the light recipe version they suggest (less olive oil - more water).

I've tried a couple of vinegars from the supermarket, one a red wine pomegranate and another is a pear vinegar. Neither of these tasted "good" by themselves, but mixed with the oil and seasonings they are really good. Some of you said you get good inexpensive vinegars in Marshalls, what kind should I look for? I'm looking at some online and they say they are for marinades and soups- are some better on salads? Do you add any herbs or mixes to the vinegar to make it taste better? TIA.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:42 PM   #2  
it's always something

I use straight balsamic. You may have to try a few to find one you like. The older the balsamic, the sweeter and thicker it because so it tastes much better. But the older they get, the more expensive they get too A good fig balsamic isn't expensive, and they can be incredibly delicious in a salad
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Thanks.. I'm hoping to go to Marshalls this weekend and I'll see if they have anything out. I've tried the grocery store balsamic and that doesn't taste good by itself either.

Some places online have garlic or fruit flavored vinegars, are these good on salads or other vegetables? Or are they meant to just be used in stews and marinades?
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 08:37 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I love Bragg's Apple cider vinegar. It tastes much better than other brands of apple cider vinegar. I mix it with other dressings to lower fat.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:11 AM   #5  

I would use a garlic- or fruit-flavored dressing on a salad, for sure! A common salad is romaine lettuce or spinach, chicken, and strawberries, served with a raspberry vinaigrette dressing.

I usually make my own vinegar-oil dressings, using balsamic or wine vinegar. Other vinegars to try are rice wine vinegar and rice vinegar (maybe in the International/Asian food part of the grocery store). I tend to use balsamic vinegar the most. I use Bragg's apple-cider vinegar, too!
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:38 PM   #6  
herself

S/C/G: 190/121/110

Height: 5'3

Default making life sweeter

Vinegar as it is tastes a little too plain to me, so I like to add a touch of sweetener to it. Makes the salad yummier. In my opinion a salad should taste like something, otherwise it is boring to eat. Just need to remember to not overdo the sweetener part...

I usually mix my own salad dressing for each salad I make. Just add things together in a tiny cup. That way you get it just right for your salad and current mood, just as fluidy as you want it, and you know exactly what is in it. I wouldn't buy any salad dressing from the store...
Also, using the tiny cup, you know how much of it you are making/eating at the time. The 2 or 5 kcals it adds to the salad is a small cost for making you want to eat it, and enjoy it.

here are my simple favourites for dressing:
vinegar+sweetener
lemon/lime juice+sweetener
mustard+milk+vinegar+sweetener
curry+youghurt(+milk)+chutney or somethign else fruity
hot chili sauce+milk+sweetener
MadScientress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:48 PM   #7  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I like seasoned rice vinegar. And lemon juice too. I've gotten used to not adding oil to my salad, sometimes I still do, though. But I only use good extra-virgin olive oil.

Georgia
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 420/190/190

Height: 6 ft

I've found I REALLY like malted vinegar in a vinaigrette. You know the stuff they serve with fish and chips. I add fresh garlic, Dijon mustard and lemon basil into mine as well. It's refreshing with just the right about of zing.
in need of solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #9  

I am also a fan of malt vinegar. It is inexpensive and has lots of flavor. I don't spend money on vinegars with added flavors because I can add those easily to the dressing like herbs and garlic.
tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

My favorites are raspberry vinegar, balsamic, and white wine. I don't use them straight, but they are my faves to make dressings with. The raspberry is especially good mixed with walnut oil.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote