Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 04-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Default Why would candy hurt my teeth more than sweet pastries?

I have a bunch of "almost" cavities the dentist doesn't want to do anything about, but for the past few years it's made me HATE candy. I can't even touch the stuff anymore. I don't even LIKE candy anymore; to me it tastes AWFUL. WAY too sweet.
So what is the difference between say.... candy and cake? Is the sugar in candy more condensed than in cake? Because I LOVE cake and have no problems eating it... but it seems like the sugar content is just as high. Even ice cream doesn't cause me a problem at all. And despite having a terrible reaction to chocolate bars, hot chocolate, chocolate pudding, and chocolate milk don't bother me at all.
I think I only have pastries like brownies make my teeth hurt, but they seem to have less flour. The more floury pastries I have NO issues with at all. I have a mild issue with glazed donuts and donuts with chocolate frosting sometimes, but regular donuts sweet from the inside in the flour throughout cause no issue.
So what is the difference between candy and all these other sugar-filled treats that would cause my teeth to react VERY strongly to it and not really react to anything else? Gummies and chocolate bars.... my teeth hurt just THINKING about it! It's just... the sugar content seems just as high in both candy and pastries, but candy is so overpowering to me and pastries and pudding and ice cream aren't. What is the difference?

Last edited by megwini; 04-23-2009 at 05:03 PM.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

there's more stuff in cake- milk, flour, eggs that can be acting as a buffer. candy is more sugar and might be hitting your teeth more directly. I read carbs and white flour products in general effect your teeth just as much as sugar though.

It's probably best to avoid them all anyway, for your teeth sake, the more sugar the faster the cavities will rot. I know it's not what you asked...but I read some places that very small cavities can remineralize (not sure how true it is, but it's worth a shot). Using toothpaste with calcium can help them.. Arm & Hammer has an Age Defying one that seems pretty good.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote