Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Favorite Halloween Candy and low-cal replacements or ideas

Well, Halloween is coming up, and it is my favorite holiday for two reasons: I can dress really skanky if I feel like it and I love popcorn balls and caramel apples.

So two questions:

What's your favorite Halloween candy ever?

How can you make a low-cal version of that candy and/or give suggestion of great low-cal Halloween appropriate treats.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #2  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I don't do Halloween candy anymore. I order small toys from the Oriental Trading Company and hand those out. Last year I handed out dinosaur eggs and they were a big hit (one kid even came back for more for his friends--he called them "tight," which I think is a good thing ).

They're the ultimate no-calorie treat! It was great last year to not have a big bowl of candy that I had to try to avoid all night, not too mention trying to hand out candy at a rate that isn't too fast (so I don't run out) but isn't to slow (so there aren't a lot of leftovers). Everyone got one egg (and a few other trinkets that I'd ordered). If I ended up with a lot leftover, I could save them for this year. Plastic doesn't go bad.

I realize it sounds like you are looking for treats for a party, but the Oriental Trading Company still might have toys and novelties that would work as party favors.

Hmmmm, my favorite Halloween candy ever. That's a tough one because I love candy. But I think maybe whoppers, whatchamacallit bars, or those chocolate bars with raisins (the name escapes me at the moment). Oh, and butterfingers. And Reeses peanut butter cups. And Nestle crunch bars. See, I can't pick just one. This is why I'm handing out toys instead of candy!
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 10:24 PM   #3  
Yogasaurus

S/C/G: 180/120/115

Height: 5' 5"

Wow, Barbara, what an awesome idea! I just went to the Oriental Trading Company website and ordered a whole mess of mini Halloween Rubber Duckies, and Glow In The Dark jewelry for the Trick-or-Treaters. Now, I can hand out super-cool toys and avoid the whole candy bars in the house nightmare! 'Cause, those Peanutbutter Cups just whisper my name all night long, you know. The stinkers.
-Circebee
Circebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 03:58 AM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circebee View Post
'Cause, those Peanutbutter Cups just whisper my name all night long, you know. The stinkers.
-Circebee
Oh man, they're terrible about that! You just can't shut them up!
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #5  
No description available.

That's a great idea, Barbara.

Last year I pledged to not eat any Halloween candy on Halloween and that helped a lot. Cause even though they are small, one turns into 2 and then 3 and so on.

For me it is better to stick with zero than fight to stick to just a little.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:55 PM   #6  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

I love the oriental trading idea. I just received an email from them!! Yes, those candies are devilishly good, aren't they?? I find myself raiding the kids bags. not good.
kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:49 AM   #7  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/107/104

Height: 5'3"

Candy corn pumpkins are the devil. lol
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:44 AM   #8  
Bringin' sexy back!!

S/C/G: 222.6/181.6/155

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueToBlue View Post
Oh man, they're terrible about that! You just can't shut them up!
YES. Those peanut butter cups drive me insane. Its like a drug. What a good idea about the toys. My problem is we do halloween at my moms house, the kids come back with butt loads of candy I have to admit, I am really nervous about it.
crazy4weightloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:45 AM   #9  
Bringin' sexy back!!

S/C/G: 222.6/181.6/155

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl81 View Post
Candy corn pumpkins are the devil. lol
Oh yes. the autumn mix with the pumpkins, haystacks and bats Listen to me, ugh I have issues
crazy4weightloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 129/see ticker/110

Height: 5'1"

Corn candy is my favorite. Haven't had any in ages.
Taurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #11  

Height: 5'9"

Butterfingers and Caramilks! Yikes.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:21 AM   #12  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

My family thinks I'm sick-but I love those peanut butter taffy things with the little center of PB in them. I think they're called PB kisses. They're wrapped in orange or black waxed paper.
No one else likes them , so I get to eat them all

This could get expensive, but my kids have gotten money before-like a quarter. So, it would depend on how many kids came around as to how expensive that could get. You could get alot of repeat customers -lol.
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:29 AM   #13  
beachin'

S/C/G: 240/125/130

Height: 5'8

We live in a pretty remote neighborhood and don't really get that many out of neighborhood trick-or-treaters. Last year we gave a little goodie bag that I sewed out of fabric. Filled them with little tokens and toys from the dollar store and a few small pieces of candy. In one bag, we included a 5 dollar bill. We only get about 15 trick or treaters, and we know all of them personally so it wasn't too big of a deal. If we didn't know the trick or treater, I would probably remove the 5 dollar bag from the bunch. I like hearing which child opened it and how excited they were.

I absolutely love Halloween. I want to go all out with the decorating this year.

DS and I are planning some Halloween crafts that we can do together.
zeffryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #14  
99 lbs. Gone!

If you love caramel apples, those fat-free caramel apple dips in the individual containers (or larger containers if you're disciplined with portion control) along with some apple slices are great!

I eat chocolate everyday, so Halloween doesn't bother me. And I stopped handing out candy years ago (no one comes to my place).
ToutDeSuite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

PB cups sent me seriously off-track last Easter. After I got back on-plan I didn't eat any until about a month ago. At that point I added one .55 oz cup (80 cals) per day as a treat (I also eat a square of dark choc -- 66 cals).

I am hoping that by allowing them in my diet on a regular basis I can tame the holiday beast.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote