Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 285/275.4/139

Height: 5'10

Default Low-fat cheese?

So many recipes call for low-fat cheese, but I don't actually see any that list on the package "low-fat". I've been informed that many cheeses are, but what should I look for to determine if it is low fat? For shredded cheese I've been using completely fat-free, but I would like to use low-fat shredded and slices when possible.
stacysreadytolose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Look for things like part skim, 1% or 2%, reduced fat, or light.

Or, just compare the grams of fat per serving on the labels... most cheeses have comparable serving sizes (1 ounce) so it's easy to compare.

Also, some cheeses are a lower in fat naturally... like goat cheese, which I think is great on a lot of the same foods as shredded cheese is (salads, pasta, chicken breasts, burritos/tacos, cooked veggies).
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 05:54 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I buy the ones that say "reduced fat" or "made with 2% milk". I prefer full fat cheddar though, I just eat less of it.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 05:46 AM   #4  
Beach Bum

Height: 5' 7"

I don't like the taste of reduced fat cheeses. I try to use strong flavored cheeses, like extra sharp cheddar, and use less. I have had a LF Feta that tasted good and goat cheese is always yummy.
SkinnyDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 09:23 AM   #5  
Lovin' Zumba!

Not sure if it is available nationwide, be I love Cabot's lowfat cheddars - they have both a 50% (4.5g fat/oz) and a 75% less fat version (2.5g fat/oz), and they both come in both brick or shredded versions. It's Vermont sharp cheddar, so it packs a flavor punch and a little goes a long way.

We recently toured one of their factories in Vermont, and the woman explained to us that all their cheeses are made starting first with skim milk (all the cream is separated off), and then they add back the portion of cream/fat they need for each product.

Check cabotcheese.com to see if it's available in your area, or to order online.
Cindy
BfL_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote