Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 05-05-2008, 09:12 AM   #1  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Jarred Tomato Sauce

I'm looking for a jarred tomato sauce that it is a little lower calorie (mostly lower sugar) than the average. If it tastes like Spaghettios that's a plus! Ha Ha Any suggestions? What kind do you buy?
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:58 AM   #2  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I buy some in a can as a base. I cant remember if it is Hunts or Delmonte, but it says, "no sugar added" on the can. Then i add a BUNCH of sauted veggies to it. (The kids never know there are veggies in that speghetti sauce).
But it is great, i think it is only about 50 cals for a cup.
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:23 AM   #3  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

Thanks for the suggestion!

I just went to the grocery store and had a great find. I spent a good 20 minutes in the red sauce aisle looking at all the nutrition info on the backs of the jars and I ended up with Classico Fire Roasted Tomato and Garlic. It has no sugar added and less calories and fat than pretty much every other one (Even the Ragu Light No Sugar Added). I just opened it up and dunked my finger for a taste and it's REALLY good! Very fresh tasting and has lots of herbs and stuff so it's not at all bland. YUM!
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #4  
Chuggin' along...

I buy Newman's Own marinara, or a few other of the Newman's Own varieties that have 70~80 cal for a half cup serving, and are relatively low in sugar. I've also tried Bertolli varieties - I think it's called Fire roasted red pepper, or sweet red pepper, or something like that. 60 cal and 4g sugar for 1/2 cup, and delicious! I wait until the store has BOGO sales and stock up.
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #5  
Observer of Phenomena

Height: 5' 4"

Whole Foods brand roasted vegetable pasta sauce is only 25 calories per half cup. BUT - although I love it, my bf hates it, so it's obviously not a clear crowd pleaser.
3Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:31 PM   #6  
it's always something

I buy canned crushed tomatoes by Muir Glen, that are fire roasted and chunky. Then I add mushrooms or whatever. I prefer the taste of plain tomatoes, as long as they are good quality, but sometimes I mix in a little basil or other seasonings.

For a jarred pasta sauce, my absolute favorite is Lucini brand. They aren't as easy to find, and cost a bit more, but really make a special meal
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 02:35 PM   #7  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I love the Classico brand too! Some of the flavors have sugar added so you have to check the label. I love the Tomato & Basil. I have tried the Fire Roasted Tomato & Garlic also. I used to use the Hunt's NSA one but it was rather bland and I like the jarred kind if I don't use the whole container since it's easier to store in the fridge. It is way more expensive though. I can get the Hunt's on sale for $.79 sometimes.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote