Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 11-30-2007, 09:18 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I used them and they were good, either plain, or with a squirt of butter spray.

Intrigued to know more about plastics. I know you shouldn't microwave in styrofoam, but is it all plastics, or certain kinds? I have the little baby gerber bowls that I cook stuff in for my kids - they are not recyclable, so are those bad too? Should we not m'wave in tupperware or those glad containers? What's bad plastic and what isn't for microwaving? I learned a new trick about steaming in a glass bowl. I guess I've been living under a rock (or the golden arches!!)
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 09:39 AM   #17  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportmom View Post
I used them and they were good, either plain, or with a squirt of butter spray.

Intrigued to know more about plastics. I know you shouldn't microwave in styrofoam, but is it all plastics, or certain kinds? I have the little baby gerber bowls that I cook stuff in for my kids - they are not recyclable, so are those bad too? Should we not m'wave in tupperware or those glad containers? What's bad plastic and what isn't for microwaving? I learned a new trick about steaming in a glass bowl. I guess I've been living under a rock (or the golden arches!!)
I dunno, I've been microwaving with plastic for years and I'm still alive, so...

If one thing don't kill me, something else will. I know that's not a very positive attitude on this subject, but really, I have no idea what plastics are "good" and which are "bad" and which ones will send me to an early grave.

LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 03:37 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 212/190'ish/125

Height: 5' 2"

It's been proven that all plastics degrade over time when exposed to heat. That includes dishwashers and microwaves.

It's also been proven that certain plastics, when exposed to heat, become estrogen reactive and cause breast cancer. Unfortunately, plastic manufacturers are not required to label WHICH plastics become estrogen reactive.

I'm in the process of getting rid of ALL the plastics in my kitchen simply because I do wash them over and over again. I just don't want to take any chances. I'll store everything in glass from now on.
ggmugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:34 PM   #19  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

I avoid the problem by not heating anything in plastic. I do have Tupperware and use it frequently, but once I take it out of the fridge I always put it into something glass before heating it.

Yes, I know there are a million other things that might kill me, but it's not hard to switch to glass, and it's a little step to just be one little thing that won't hurt me. If I take enough little steps, I'll be healthier. And isn't that the motto of most people losing weight? Sure, one serving of potato chips isn't a big deal, but combine that with one serving of ice cream, one serving of cake, one serving of cookies...
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:15 PM   #20  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I sent my evaluation back to them. I stated what all of the concerns here were. Their website says that this is a newer plastic that was approved by the government and that it doesn't degrade with heat. Since it is new, how do they know?

I remarked that a big concern here was that the pastic can't be recycled.

I was finishing my report and answering the questions when boobalah noticed that it was made in China. I went back to the comments section and requested that they start making it in America. I remarked that I realize that the labor costs are much cheaper in China, but in light of all the scares we've had for over a years now, starting with the pet food a year ago, that they should consider taking their manufacturing out of China.

Thanks for all your input. I did take the comments to heart and include them in my evaluation.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote