Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 09-08-2007, 02:07 PM   #1  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

Default What Kind Of Apples?

I enjoy apples, granny smith are my favorite, but I also like red delicious. But I'm wary of trying new kinds of apples because I don't know what they are like and I don't like sweet, soft apples like McIntosh. Can anyone give any suggestions of crisp, tart apples? or crisp semi-sweet?
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:37 PM   #2  
Meg

My absolute favorite apples are Cameo, but they can be hard to find. They're tart and very crispy. I'm spoiled now and have a hard time enjoying other varieties when I can't find my Cameos. I'd say my second choice are Fujis.

How do you eat your apples? My favorite way is sliced thin with a (carefully measured) tablespoon of natural peanut butter.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:39 PM   #3  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

I usually just eat them plain, I like them cold so always keep them in the fridge. Occasionally I'll add a little peanut butter or extra sharp cheddar cheese.
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I hate mushy apples. I don't even like Red Delicious because of the bitter skin. A good guideline I've found, is that if the tiny label says it's australian, give it a try. My favorites are Honeycrisp (expensive and hard to find), Cameo, Pink Lady, Braeburn, Royal Gala (if it says just Gayla, it sometimes is a gamble), Fuji, Cripps Pink, Jonagold (better than both of it's parents the jonathan and the golden delicious).

Also, if you google "apple varieties" you can find websites that picture and describe the apple varieties and when they are in season.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #5  
Nicole

S/C/G: 261/226/140

Braeburns are my favourite as well. I also love Pacific Rose, although I'm not sure how widely available that is outside of NZ - it's a very new hybrid which has only been sold for the last couple of years...
nicolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:20 PM   #6  

Ah, Pacific Rose, this was the one I was asking my husband to help me remember when I made my original list. Oh, and I should have mentioned New Zealand as well as Australia. When it comes to pretty yellow/red, crisp, sweet tart apples New Zealand and Australia are tops!
Old 09-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #7  

Oh, and the Pacific Rose are at least available in the Midwestern US, as I've bought them in Illinois and Wisconsin. Soooo good, especially refrigerated before eating (but not so long that they asorb fridge odors). Mmmm, now I want apples.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 155/145/130

Height: 5'7

Default Honeycrisp!!!

You said it yourself! Crisp. The very best apple in the world, in the UNIVERSE, developed at my very own alma mater, the U of Mn......best to grow yourself, as I do, but I think they are pretty widely available.....later......they need some cool fall weather to get the best flavor...Honeycrisp has actually been rated the best tasting apple in lots of publications.......if you can find them in a few weeks, you will be pleased...they store very well in the frigde....I have an extra fridge and can store the ones I grow for a few months......good luck!
maryblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:39 PM   #9  

Last year, at our local farmer's market, locally grown Honeycrisps were being sold for $3.00 a pound. "There is no way, I'm paying $3 a lb for apples," I thought, and then I saw them selling in a local grocery store for $6 a pound. So, of course I bought a couple at the next farmer's market, and instantly felt deep pangs of love/regret. I was RUINED for all other apples.

OK, I got over the lovesickness, when honeycrisp season was over, so I could once again enjoy other crisp, juicy sweet/tart apples. Still, I can't wait for them to show up again at the farmers market. I'll cringe at the price, of course. but I'll pay it. They really are that good!
Old 09-08-2007, 03:51 PM   #10  
Accepting who she is

S/C/G: 173/see ticker/138

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryblu View Post
You said it yourself! Crisp. The very best apple in the world, in the UNIVERSE, developed at my very own alma mater, the U of Mn......best to grow yourself, as I do, but I think they are pretty widely available.....later......they need some cool fall weather to get the best flavor...Honeycrisp has actually been rated the best tasting apple in lots of publications.......if you can find them in a few weeks, you will be pleased...they store very well in the frigde....I have an extra fridge and can store the ones I grow for a few months......good luck!

Road trip to Maryblu's!!

I have not had a honeycrisp, though I love apples. I will be on the hunt for these this fall. However, if I am just wandering around the regular supermarket, I go with medium to small galas (too large can be too mushy) or Fujis.

9 years ago, I had a golden delicious that knocked my socks off. Crisp, sweet, incredibly good. I have not had ANY apple as good since. In fact, I had my sister take some to her 1st grade class for their apple tasting activity. It was the only year that a yellow ever won. She said they all just gushed about it.
onthetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:30 PM   #11  
Pending Email Confirmation

Honey Crisp and Pink Lady- I don't like mushy or grainy apples either.
lizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:33 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I love Galas. Sweet and crisp and hardly ever mealy. I was at the farmer's market this morning and saw some Honeycrisps. If I had known they are so highly recommended, I'd have bought some to go with my Galas.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 07:11 PM   #13  
Getting there...

S/C/G: 195.6/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

When I lived in England, I liked Cox's pippins. But you can't get them here in Canada

I like Granny Smiths, but DH doesn't, so we usually buy galas. I eat them plain usually, but if I'm treating myself, I have a small piece of extra-sharp cheddar with them. I think that's a UK thing too - my dad always ate cheese with his apple pie.

Jax

Last edited by jaxjob; 09-08-2007 at 07:12 PM.
jaxjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:27 PM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I love Golden Delicious apples. Mcintosh as well and I just discovered a new one - Ginger gold. Firm, crisp and slightly sweet, and a good size, not too big, not too small - yummy.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:35 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

We have an orchard nearby that grows the best Golden Delicious I've ever had. When they're not in season, though, my next favorite is Gala apples. Macoun is a good crisp apple, too. I'm eager to try the Honeycrisp, I'll have to keep an eye out for them. I like them chilled, with a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote