Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 08-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Default Trader Joe

I have heard people rave about Fage, the Greek yougurt that Trader Joe's carries. I got some plain, non-fat and it was really good. The texture is very smooth and creamy. I agree with the "ravers".

I also got something called Kefir. It is a 1% cultured milk product and is a bit thicker than buttermilk and tastes like yogurt. I am using it as a base for creamy salad dressing. I have added a sprinkle of ranch dressing mix and I have added a few blue cheese crumbles. It is not bad at all. I don't like purchased salad dressings, as a rule, because they taste "chemical-y" to me, hence my search for other substitutes.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:18 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Gail - that's great because Kefir is a wonder food. Look it up online and you will see that it has numerous health benefits! I love it too!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:50 PM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

If you like Fage, you should try Trader Joe's own brand of Greek yogurt. I like their nonfat variety better than Fage (and I'm not the only one--my local paper did a taste test and the Trader Joe's brand came out on top with their tasting panel too). And it's cheaper than Fage.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:21 PM   #4  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

I love Trader Joe's! I buy the plain unsweetened non fat greek yogurt and use it in place of sour cream!
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

I have tried the low-fat TJs brand and liked it. Now I need to try the FF. I think I have tried the 2% and FF of the Fage. I can only eat so much at once, so I kind of try different things on different TJ pilgrimages. We are over 100 miles from the nearest TJs.

Well, how do you like that? Kefir is good for me!

I also bought some chocolate - 71%, I think in a green wrapper. I just could never sit down and eat a whole bar of it - I eat it one square at a time(24 cal). The first time in my life it has taken me two weeks to eat a candy bar. I have also grated it over different things. One of those little squares makes a heck of a lot of chocolate dust when you do it on a microplane grater.
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote