Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-20-2007, 11:58 AM   #1  

Default Diet Soda vs Regular Soda

I know that I should not drink soda at all, but I love it...and the caffeine of course!

I have noticed that whenever I drink regular soda instead of diet soda my cravings for sugar decrease and I eat less. I recently bought small 8 ounce cans of Coke, and I have been allowing myself one can per day. I have been drinking these instead of diet coke...which I drank a whole lot more of! I am figuring the 100 calories per can into my calorie intake. I am only aiming for 1-2 lbs per week of weight loss, and that has been my average so far.

It has just been so strange because I would always crave ice cream or other sweets, and for the past week, these cravings have literally stopped! I have heard that artificial sweeteners can make a person crave sugar for hours after consuming the sweetener, and I think that I believe it now!

Has anyone else had similar issues with diet soda?
starzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 232/ticker/130

Height: 5f 6in

we stopped buying pop months ago.... the only time we drink it is eating out... and even then we usally get water.

but the last time we went to the chinese resturant i ordered a Diet Coke.... i didnt drink the whole thing, i really wanted water after i got started..but anyway as we were paying our bill they always give out fortune cookies....

now i just ate a ton of stir fry, veggies and chicken... my stomach hurt i ate so much..... but when i got to the car i couldnt help myself i had to eat a fortune cookie! WHY?.... i mean i have went for a long time and not wanted cookies!

I blame the pop!
lendingheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #3  
Skinny cow in the making!

S/C/G: 193/149/126

Height: 5'4

My parents never gave me regular drinks-we ALWAYS had diet drinks. Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi, Diet lemonade, Diet Irn Bru....

Because they never bought the regular stuff, I cannot drink regular fizzy drinks. It makes me feel physically ill because they are so sugary! I can taste the difference in seconds.

So, if you like fizzy drinks, can you not wean yourself onto diet drinks to save you 100 cals a day?
You might find by slowly introducing diet drinks whilst slowly taking away reguar drinks these cravings that the diet drinks make you have may go away?
Jadeybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I can't tolerate sugared sodas. They taste like syrup to me, and even a mouthful makes me thirstier. I had a friend who loved regular pepsi and would drink more than a two liter bottle every day. I suggested she try buying some diet pepsi and mixing it in with the regular soda. Gradually increasing the proportion of diet to regular until she was drinking just the diet.
It worked really well for her.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:24 AM   #5  
Token Vulcan

I like the diet sodas better, too. I just prefer the taste. I was drinking about 2-3 cans a day. Now I do about 1 a day, sometimes 2, sometimes none. I can't say that I've noticed any difference in terms of cravings or ease of weight loss or any physical conditions. But sweets are not my big cravings, salts are and always have been. I don't know which schools of thought to believe about diet sodas. I've just toned down but not eliminated my intake.
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 11:32 AM   #6  

Most of the diet sweetener "scary stuff" is actually easily proved to be misinformation and distortions of the truth (check out any myth busting website). Not that some people can be sensitive or have side effects or reactions to anything.

I've heard that diet sodas can increase your sweet cravings, but I also do not crave sweets often (except TOM) and when I do, fruit or the diet soda is enough for me. I don't care for salty foods (I actually tend towards low blood levels of sodium because of a mild blood pressure pill and my dislike of salt). I've actually been told by my doctor to increase my salt intake a little.

I do notice that if I eat salty food with a diet soda, I'm more likely to eat much more than I intended, and I was thinking maybe this is true for food in general. Now, I try not to drink anything but water (or for breakfast, milk) with meals, and drink the diet sodas between meals. Seems to be working for me!
Old 07-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #7  
I DO have a BellyButton!

S/C/G: 321/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9''

I don't really believe that you will crave sweets after drinking diet soda. Sounds like something that's in your head.

I've been drinking diet soda my whole life and I'm glad it's available to me. However, I have been drinking less since adding crystal light (not full-strength) or sugar free Kool-Aid to my water....I've been craving more water lately.

I actually go for the sweeter diet sodas that make it like a dessert to me and I love them. My favorites are Faygo because they're caffine free. I like Diet Grape, Diet Orange (mixed with a protein shake for a creamcicle flavor), Cherry Cola and I LOVE Fresca. Those are my sodas of choice.

I don't really eat dessert, so it's nice to have soda around.
BabyBrownEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:14 PM   #8  
~~Maintainer!~~

S/C/G: 346/186/186

Height: 5' 9"

I started drinking diet sodas more than 25 years ago, so I hate the taste of regular soda. However, when I decided to start losing weight, I decided to ditch the caffeine from diet sodas also. For a while I bought caffeine free diet drinks, then I slowly started drinking water for almost all meals. For me, it was more the problem with soda being so entwined with so many other bad food habits - too much fast food, too much fatty foods, too many low nutritional value, carby things. I don't think I physically craved due to the artificial sweeteners, but I think that psychologically, I associated diet drinks with my old eating habits.

I occasionally have a diet drink while eating out, but usually I just order water. I find that water actually relieves my thirst better than a diet soda.
jtammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 03:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 235/150.5/145

Height: 5'5"

I used to drink 2-3 cans of diet pop during the day and in the evenings after supper I would crave something sweet...especially ice cream. I quit drinking the diet stuff after my brother-in-law told me that the artificial sweetner causes your metabolism to slow down (whether or not its true I don't know). I allow myself to have 1 regular can of pop a day and haven't had the after supper cravings.
dream710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:27 PM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I definitely crave sweets MUCH more with artificial sweeteners than with sugar.

Its like my body revs up for the sugar hit and when it doesnt come it goes into crave mode.

I dont like regular pop, but I dont use artificial sweeteners anywhere else and limit diet pop.

I say if it satisfies your craving to have 100 cal of regular pop, why not. Drinking calories just have to be limited
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:34 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Am I the only person in the world whose sweet tooth can be satisfied by a can of diet coke? They also make me feel quite full--all that carbonation, no doubt. I don't drink much soda--one or two a week, max--but I quite like a nice, cold, refreshing calorie-free treat once in a while.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 11:39 AM   #12  
I'm a LOSER, baby!

I like the Cherry flavored Coke Zero.
hidingtazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 10:32 PM   #13  
Token Vulcan

Coincidentally, check out this article that just came out about a study on diet sodas. Basically, it says diet soda drinkers have the same risk of heart disease as regular soda drinkers but it's inconclusive inasmuch as, they say, diet soda drinkers tend to have less healthy eating preferences/patterns overall (i.e., they're overweight) so other factors may contribute to the risk of heart disease.

http://news.aol.com/health/story/_a/...23213409990001
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:15 AM   #14  

A similar study found that people who drank decaffeinated coffee had a HIGHER rate of heart disease, than those who drank regular coffee. Duh, people with heart disease are more likely to be drinking decaffeinated coffee (And diet soda for that matter). People who are in great health (or think they are) are less likely to be drinking decaffeinated coffee (and possilby diet soda).
Old 07-26-2007, 02:12 PM   #15  

I think if drinking a small can of regular soda helps keep your cravings in line, go for it! I stick to diet soda myself however, and don't find that I crave foods anymore than usual. Ever since my coworker sent me the wakeuppeople website, I've been drinking Diet Pepsi Max, which tastes exactly like regular soda, but has extra caffeine, which I desperately need late afternoon. If you think it's the non-diety taste of regular soda that's helping, maybe you could try that too, and see if it has the same effect.
VelVeeta is offline   Reply With Quote