Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 06-16-2007, 12:24 PM   #1  
restarted

S/C/G: 233/229/175

Height: 5'7"

Default cooking fish!

Greetings all!

These days I live in a place where fish is easy to find and always fresh, but I am originally from the mid-west and didn't grow up eating a lot of fish. I love fish, but don't really know how to cook it. I have cooked up fillets on a G. Forman grill (but I hate cleaning that thing!), and I have broiled it in the oven. I would like to make fish my main meat source, but I need a little more variety in my life.
How do you all cook fish? And what is the best way to grill fish? And what are the best fish to grill? I just keep imagining it flaking through the grate or sticking to aluminum foil.
Any thoughts, suggestions, personal experiences, or web-sites you can share??
THANK YOU!
Coffee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #2  
Brendansmum

S/C/G: 214/195/135

I've never had a problem grilling with aluminum foil. If your worried you could get the new non stick foil Reynolds has out. You could also do a fish and veggie bag and throw it on the grill. Throw some zuchinni, onions and maybe some cherry tomatoes in some foil with the fish. I personally love orange roughy. I don't like salmon unless it's from a can and squashed into patties . Any white fish works for me and I love scallops which are very easy to do as well, if you like those you could do them on the grill as well. I like my fish pretty basic, maybe someone else will have some good recipes for you.
Brendansmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

"Meatier" firm fish is usually best for grilling (salmon, halibut, tilapia, mahi mahi, etc.) If you are worried about it flaking through the grill you can buy a grate to go on the grill that has smaller holes (made for veggies and fish.)

Foil packets are great for fish! You can throw them on the grill or into a hot oven. I usually put in the fish, seasoning of choice, veggies, & a bit of liquid to help keep it moist (lime/lemon juice, white wine, vinegar, even water.) It's a great way to use up what you have because you can put almost anything in the packet (except raw potatoes~they have a longer cooking time than fish.)
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 02:06 PM   #4  
restarted

S/C/G: 233/229/175

Thanks Ladies!!!
Coffee Luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:58 PM   #5  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenor77 View Post
Foil packets are great for fish! You can throw them on the grill or into a hot oven. I usually put in the fish, seasoning of choice, veggies, & a bit of liquid to help keep it moist (lime/lemon juice, white wine, vinegar, even water.) It's a great way to use up what you have because you can put almost anything in the packet (except raw potatoes~they have a longer cooking time than fish.)
Ooooo, great idea, thanks! I love fish and eat it quite often, but usually I just steam it in my steamer or bake it in a baking dish. But I'll have to try the foil packets.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:17 AM   #6  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I like fish broiled or grilled and topped with salsa, guacamole, or chutney. Super easy and there are endless variations you can try (regular salsa, fruit salsas, all sorts of chutneys--you can make them yourself or buy them bottled).

You can make a great marinade for fish out of 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1 tbsp white wine or cider vinegar, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1 tsp ground ginger, and 1 tsp minced garlic. The recipe suggests marinating catfish. You then cut the catfish into strips, thread the strips onto skewers and grill them. It is fantastic this way, but you could use the marinade with all sorts of fish.

Another easy way to prepare fish is to make a coating for it out of 2 tbsp cornmeal, 1.5 tsp seasoned salt, 1.5 tsp dried oregano, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, .5 tsp ground red pepper, .5 tsp chili powder, .5 tsp cumin, .25 tsp ground pepper. Mix all this together and throw it in a plastic bag with the fish. Shake the fish around in the bag until it is coated, the broil or grill the fish.

A great sauce for fish (or chicken for that mattter) can be made from 4 sliced green onions, 3 garlic cloves, 2 cups peas (frozen is fine), 1 cup fat-free chicken broth, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 cup fat free half and half, and 1 tbsp fresh dill. Saute the onions and garlic in a non-stick pan with cooking spray for about a minute. Add remaining ingredients except dill and cook until peas are thawed/tender (about 5 minutes). Run the whole thing through a food processor. At this point, you can strain it through a fine mesh sieve if you want and discard the solids but I never bother with this step. Stir in the fresh dill and serve over cooked fish or chicken. If unstrained, the sauce makes 4 very generous servings at about 80 calories per serving.

Also, here are a couple of other recipes that are a little different. They call for halibut, but I'm sure you could use another white fish or even salmon in them.

Halibut with Blueberry-Pepper Sauce
- 24 oz halibut
- 1 cup blueberries, divided
- 1 tsp snipped fresh sage
- 1/2 tsp finely ground pepper
- 1 cup garlic croutons, crushed
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh sage
- 1 tsp finely shredded orange or lemon peel
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp orange or lemon juice

Mash 3/4 cup blueberries and stir in 1 tsp sage, 1/2 tsp pepper, and remaining whole berries.

In another bowl, combine croutons, 1/4 cup sage, orange peel, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Stir in orange juice until lightly moistened.

Grill or broil fish. After fish is about halfway cooked, flip it over. Top with crouton mixture, pressing the mixture onto the fish.

Serve with blueberry-pepper mixture.

Makes 4 servings and about 320 calories per serving.

Halibut Stew with Fennel and Lemon
- 1 lb halibut, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp capers
- grated zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 lb diced sweet potatoes (or yukon golds)
- 18 oz diced fennel (about 3.5 cups) (or 1 8 oz package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed)
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup pitted green olives (optional)

Saute garlic, capers, and lemon zest until just fragrant. Add salt, pepper, wine, chicken broth, and potatoes. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes are just tender (about ten minutes). Add fennel and fish and cook until fish is opaque in center. Add lemon juice, parsley, and olives (if desired)

Makes 4 servings at about 315 calories per serving (without olives).

Oven-Poached Halibut Provencale
- 3 garlic cloves
- 10 oz diced fennel (about 2 cups)
- 9 oz diced onion (about 1.5 cups)
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 15 oz diced tomato (about 4 cups)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 16 oz halibut
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp herbs de Provence
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped kalamata olives (optional)

Saute garlic, fennel, onion, and 1/2 tsp salt in olive oil over medium-high heat until lightly browned. Stir in diced tomato and cook for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat and stir in fresh basil and parsley.

Spoon half tomato mixture into 13 x 9 inch baking dish. Place halibut fillets over mixture. Pour wine into dish and sprinkle fillets with 1/4 tsp salt. Spoon remaining tomato mixture over fish. Bake at 450 for 15 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.

Preheat broiler. Combine breadcrumbs, olives (if using), herbs de Provence, pepper, and remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Sprinkle mixture over fillets and broil for 5 minutes or until lightly browned.

Makes 4 servings at about 255 calories per serving (without the olives). It will be soupy; if you want it less soupy, cut back on the the tomatoes.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote