Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-22-2007, 06:51 PM   #46  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I first ordered the gel--I got three bottles and am just about done with the last bottle. I have one thing of the powder but haven't mixed it up yet. I agree, it weighs a lot less so shipping is a bit less. I mean the gel is mostly water--who needs to pay shipping on water? Besides, if you have the powder, you can mix it to the needed consistency. The gel works great in sour cream, but it is too runny for cream cheese. The instructions on the powder are really easy to mix to different consistencies. All you need is a blender or an immersion blender to use the powder.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:52 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 184/see ticker/130

Height: 5 ft.

HI,
I just found this post. On the z trim. How has it been doing for all of you?
This stuff sounds to good to be true. I need it !

Are you still using it?

Has it been worth the money?

Have you noticed your weight dropping faster?

Theresa
littlered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:51 AM   #48  
it's always something

Theresa, I don't think using ztrim will help you lose weight faster (not noticeably anyway), unless you normally cook a lot of high fat foods and use this to reduce it somewhat.

I think it's a small tool in a bigger plan. It can be useful, but just how useful depends on your current diet habits.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:58 AM   #49  

I agree, Z-Trim is not helping me lose weight any faster. It is cutting the fat and calories of certain foods that I enjoy (sour cream, salad dressing, butter, cream cheese) without compromising the taste. I believe it is worth the money, I only wish I could buy it in the store rather than having to pay for shipping.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:17 AM   #50  

S/C/G: 172/169/140

Height: 5'6"

Thumbs up Z-Trim Brownies

Anyone still experimenting? I got my powder this weekend and experimented by making these. Note: I do not claim these are low-cal -- I just wanted a "let's see if this stuff works" recipe. My family scarfed them down. They were delicious, gooey and moist. I'm interested in experimenting with completely replacing fat in a recipe, and using egg white + Tbsp Ztrim to replace egg. (In baking recipes.)

Best Cocoa Brownies

serving size
Makes 16 large or 25 smaller brownies.

Ingredients
6 tablespoons Z-Trim
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cold large eggs
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour

Special equipment: An 8-inch square baking pan
preparation
Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 325°F. Line the bottom and sides of the baking pan with parchment paper or foil, leaving an overhang on two opposite sides.

Combine the butter, Z-trim, sugar, cocoa, and salt in a medium bowl. Mix with a fork or spoon until mixture is smooth.

Stir in the vanilla with a wooden spoon. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring vigorously after each one. When the batter looks thick, shiny, and well blended, add the flour and stir until you cannot see it any longer, then beat vigorously for 40 strokes with the wooden spoon or a rubber spatula. Spread evenly in the lined pan.

Bake until a toothpick plunged into the center emerges slightly moist with batter, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool completely on a rack.

Lift up the ends of the parchment or foil liner, and transfer the brownies to a cutting board. Cut into 16 or 25 squares.
CalypsoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:57 AM   #51  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Did anybody ever try the 'mix with peanut butter' idea?
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:44 PM   #52  

I'd like to know how you measure your powder. I got a container of the powder and attempted to make the 4% gel and it was soooooo watery. So I added more powder and then when it looked right (like what I"m used to from the pre-made gel bottle) I added it to my sour cream for a dip and we could all tell the difference (we can never tell the difference with the pre-made stuff). So I was wondering how you measure it (heaping tablespoon perhaps?). The dry stuff is so fluffy that it is hard to measure (IMO).
Thanks!!
Old 04-24-2007, 12:29 AM   #53  

So far, I've been doing 4 level Tbsp to 1 cup water. But that's for baking. I figured it was close to the consistency of melted butter.

When I try blending it with things like softened butter or cream cheese, I'm going to make it thicker.

BTW, I made the brownies again today. Did one tbsp butter, the rest of the "fat" was the Z-Trim. Still terrific.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:59 PM   #54  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I'm almost done with my first gel jar. I think I'm going to break into the powder. I'm very interested in getting the consistancy right.

Caly, have you considered swapping the eggs for Egg Beaters or something like that? I'm thinking of trying your recipe and swapping most of the butter with Ztrim, swapping the eggs with Egg Beaters and going one step further and swapping the sugar with Splenda. Hmmm.

Oh, it worked great with the peanut butter. However, I used chunky PB. Now that I've had a major diverticulitis attack, I'm back to creamy and I notice a bit of a difference with it.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:01 PM   #55  

oh, mare, have you heard of the PB2? Powdered PB--I've heard wonderful things about it (and lower in fat).
Old 04-25-2007, 05:46 PM   #56  

Default Playing with Z Trim

I haven't tried subbing eggbeaters yet, but that's a good idea.

Made bran muffins with it yesterday, subbing Z trim for all of the shortening in the original recipe (1 cup). Left eggs in as regular. (Am taking it all a step at a time so I'll know who the culprit is if it doesn't work). Delicious and my kids couldn't tell a difference at all. I don't think I could, either.

Regarding side effects: it's a little disingenous for them to say there are no side effects. It's fiber! But even after eating copious amounts in my experimenting, it's just had an um, "natural" effect. Nothing like diarrhea or anything. Just keeps ya healthy!

One of the good side effects: I really think that the fiber in it acts the way regular fiber does, in terms of making you feel full and slowing sugar absorption. The brownies have a lot of sugar in them, but whereas I would normally "crash" and have cravings, none. No crash, no cravings. Felt full for a long time.

So, I'm a believer. Give me a week, and I'll report on any effects to my waistline ...
Old 04-25-2007, 06:20 PM   #57  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

We'll be waiting with bait on our breath.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:27 PM   #58  
Proud US Navy Wife

Hi all

After reading this and considering, I decided to order this stuff and give it a try. Just one bottle of the gel.. cautious much me? Anyway I tried it in 2 ways tonight, without reading any directions... first added it in equal amounts to some full-fat sour cream that I had left, since I planned on making tacos (made with turkey instead of beef) for dinner. The S.C. seemed to me to be a little more creamy than normal but that's it.

The second thing was salad dressing. I got a bottle of Hidden Valley Ranch and mixed it with an equal amout of Z-Trim. Now here's the odd part.. I can't tell if there is a difference? It's been so long since Ive had it (normally have low-fat), and Im still getting over a cold and my taste buds are off, I think. Heck, their off normally anyway. And I saw on the booklet (which I read AFTER the fact) that it says to add 4 tablespoons to a 16 oz bottle of dressing... I mixed it equal of an 8 oz bottle. I think it's ok, but Im having a cookout next weekend and am nervous to use that... how do you guys mix it with dressing, and does anyone usually notice?

Thanks!
FaeReverie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:50 AM   #59  

I can't tell any difference at all when I mix my ZTrim with salad dressing (I do half and half and also my family can't tell the difference). I did notice the extra creaminess of the sour cream, though (but that's not a bad thing!). I've made cookies with it, substituting it for half the butter. All I noticed there was the cookies seemed a little more cake-like than cookie-like.
Old 04-28-2007, 04:13 PM   #60  

Default Cupcakes and deviled eggs

Experimenting continues ...

Deviled eggs: subbed 1/2 Z trim for mayo. Can't tell a difference; got scarfed down at a church function.

Cupcakes: Okay, I am WAY impressed. I had some Betty Crocker Devil's Food cake mix. I made cupcakes, subbing Z trim for ALL the butter. Also, it called for 3 eggs. I did three egg whites and a heaping Tbsp of of Ztrim. And the water it called for. So, other than the fat that was in the mix itself, fat-free.

Can't tell a difference in taste, except the cupcakes seem even lighter in texture. For cupcakes, a good effect!