Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 01-24-2007, 06:27 PM   #16  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

This is a great website. http://heateatreview.com/

They review frozen meals. So far they seem pretty much on with what I would think and a good source for new stuff to try. Also, some of the reviews are hilarious

Excited about trying the seeds of change meals based on the reviews. I had just ordered some and now I feel happy I did (I grocery shop online and my other brands werent available)

Last edited by ennay; 01-24-2007 at 06:37 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 06:32 PM   #17  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
Excited about trying the seeds of change meals based on the reviews.
I've never seen these, are they new?

And how do you grocery shop online?
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:27 PM   #18  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

My local organic foods store has online shopping. You shop. They fill the order. You pickup. With 2 little ones not having to get out of the car is soooooo worth the $5 surcharge. I would do the $10 charge for home delivery, but they dont do my area.

Plus - even though its a tad more expensive - I think I save money and certainly calories because there is no instore impulse buying

Seeds of Change the company has been around for awhile, I've never tried their frozen dinners before. Organic whole grainy type people they are.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:26 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 126/114/115

Height: 5'3"

I'm in the minority here, but I like the Smart Ones Bistro meals. They're a bit more expensive, but they now come with a whole serving of veggies. How can you mess up frozen veggies? I have a freezer filled with these since I live alone. I like Healthy Choice, Smart Ones Bistro, and Lean Cuisine spa meals. I get my weekly serving of salmon by eating the Lean Cuisine Spa salmon and basil. I also eat the Healthy Choice fish entree. I think I can eat these because I don't make salisbury steak, pot roast, or roast beef, so the frozen meals don't taste bad. They remind me of my elementary school cafeteria food in a way.

The best part, is they are filling, nutritious, and very low cal!! I stayed away from them because I didn't think that processed food was that healthy, but my M.D. gave me the green light and said that the frozen prepared meals are made better today than before.
MicheleKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 06:32 PM   #20  

Also, I'd stay away from the http://heateatreview.com/ site. The postings are funny, but negative. Anyone trying to cut calories by eating these meals might be turned off by some of the reviews. Of course, sweet and sour chicken prepared by Healthy Choice at around 200 calories with a side of frozen veggies isn't going to taste as good as Chinese Take out from China Star carry-out, but it's not as expensive or as filled with fat and extra calories.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:26 PM   #21  
Jessica

S/C/G: 190/190/160

Height: 5'5"

Here lately I have liked the Healthy Choice pepperoni pizzas. I thought it looked a bit small and not satisfying, but surprisingly it was very satisfying with like 24 grams of protein and only 370 calories and 4.5 grams of fat. Try it!
jessdawg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:45 PM   #22  
Token Vulcan

I've been eating a lot of the Lean Cuisine and Smart Ones this month. I like the Lean Cuisines better and I mostly prefer chicken and turkey dishes...and I consider Salisbury Steak the most disgusting thing to ever pass my lips from any frozen food company...I've yet to taste one that I liked, whether it's Smart Ones or Swanson. I bought a couple of Healthy Choice meals this week and had the Chicken with Barbecue Sauce tonight (also has rice, veggies and an apple-cranberry desert). It was pretty good. I'd definitely buy that one again.
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:18 PM   #23  
Recovering Shopaholic

S/C/G: See tickers for latest!

I really like Lean Cuisines best for frozen foods. My faves are:

Roasted turkey w/ stuffing and cinnamon apples
Steak and Cheddar Panini (YUM!!)
Chicken, spinach and mushroom Panini
Roasted Garlic Chicken brick oven pizza (I love this one, but agree that the BBQ one is not very good!)
Sesame Chicken Stiry Fry w/ Edamame (Spa line)
Garlic Chicken w/ creamed spinach

Oh and the list goes on and on ...

I also LOVE Boca Chik'n Spicy patties - like a fake version of Wendy's spicy chicken!

Kelly
HandbagAficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #24  
Recovering Shopaholic

S/C/G: See tickers for latest!

PS - I think a lot of the spa line is really healthier for you (whole grains and what not) and yummy!
HandbagAficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:27 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 189/176/135

Height: 5' 6"

I really like though its expensive through Schwans is the roasted veggie pizza...I call it my cracker pizza...Its actually really good. Even weirder is I usually throw on a ton of fresh sprouts (I do those myself) fold the pizza and eat...YUMMMM

Lately I'm on a green giant simply steam veggie kick.....SO yummy by itself...though I JUST had some and maybe my taste is changing or a bad batch, very salty today!!
Justme33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 09:56 PM   #26  

Something else that's great about these frozen meals, is that they really satisfy a craving, at least for me, for a particular food item. Maybe I have a craving for Chinese food, and if I can eat something sweet and sour with some water chestnuts and snap peas, well, my craving is satisfied for the week! If I have a craving for something cheesy, I can eat the brocolli potato cheddar meal and satisfy that craving. These work for me for the amount of time I don't have with work. And I like looking at the box and seeing that most are under 300 and sometimes 200 calories. If I add a fresh salad or a sweet potato as a side, some of the skimpier entrees are more filling.

Am I the only person who eats one of these once a day? I know my co-workers live off these during lunch hour, too. How about you?

P.S.-I guess I've never had real salisbury steak, and that's how I can handle the frozen kind. I would agree that usually turkey and chicken entrees taste best.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:05 PM   #27  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I guess I must've had a bad experience with commercial frozen meals when I was a child because I can't do it Although I was on Jenny Craig for a while and I suffered through that but still. My last commercial frozen meal was probably 8 years ago.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:20 PM   #28  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

I'm picky about my meals. I don't like cooked veggies except brocoli. And I only eat corn and peas in soups. Green beans are okay and so are lima beans. And I HATE fish. Just cannot stand it anymore. Sooo....I'm limited on what I can eat since I want to eat healthy and I'm limiting myself.
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 12:08 AM   #29  
Token Vulcan

Quote:
Something else that's great about these frozen meals, is that they really satisfy a craving, at least for me, for a particular food item.
I'm like that with the snacking. Instead of potato chips, I've been substituting lower-calorie, takes-longer-to-eat pretzels for my salt cravings. And I've been trying the 100-calorie packs of Chips Ahoy, Cheez-Its, etc. because I love the "life size" real versions of them but it won't help me to munch my way through the regular ones. So I have the little preset portion baggie.

Quote:
Am I the only person who eats one of these once a day? I know my co-workers live off these during lunch hour, too. How about you?
I only eat one, too.

Quote:
P.S.-I guess I've never had real salisbury steak, and that's how I can handle the frozen kind. I would agree that usually turkey and chicken entrees taste best.
It tastes kind of bland and so mushy to me and I'm not much a fan of mushy meat, lol.

I hate fish, too. I don't eat any seafood at all. Up until some point in my 20s the only fish I would eat was tuna fish. But then I turned away from that, too. My mom loves shrimp and I tell her they look like fat worms on a plate to me. You can imagine what I think a lobster looks like!
trekkiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:55 PM   #30  
Free-thinker

Height: 5'9"

A way to fix salt cravings is sweet potato chips! I found some at the local Kroger store in the health food section. They are made from sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes. I know they may still be a little unhealthy, but in moderation I'm sure they are better than regular chips.
BlessedBe is offline   Reply With Quote