Old 01-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #1  
Cat

S/C/G: 198/T/135

Height: 5'9"

Default P90X Hybrid (including Insanity)

Hi all -

I am one week into starting my P90X hybrid rotation. Here's my plan...

P90X weights 3x a week plus a 'lighter' cardio added after weights (I'm incorporating P90X Cardio, Turbo Jam and Hip Hop Abs)

'Heavier' cardio 3x a week - this includes Insanity at least twice (I'm shooting for 3x) and a short ab workout (P90X Ab Shred, Turbo Jam Ab Jam and Hip Hop Abs)

Anyone else up for joining me in something similar? I know I'm taking on quite a challenge, but my goal is to lose 35 pounds and have 'bikini abs' by the beginning of May 2010!

Cat
catgeraghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #2  

Hi Cat! Today I started ChaLean Extreme (my second time through) and this time I am CLOSELY tracking the weight I lift (last time I was lazy about it) and writing down if I want to go heavier the next week. So my focus is on CLX but I'm also including Turbo Jam and Insanity. (I tried the Insanity program as my primary focus but I can't stick with it, so I'm aiming for 2 times a week for now). My goal is to LIFT HEAVIER!! I want to get STRONG!
We can both do this!
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #3  
Cat

Hi Tiffany -

Congrats on exceeding your goal. I can't wait to say that I've met my goal! I really liked CLX and am pretty sure I'll incorporate that into my hybrid once I'm done with this round of P90X. I really like Chalene - even if I don't want to workout I can pop in a Turbo Jam and within 5 minutes I'm ready to go.

I was very careful about tracking what I lifted, especially during the 2nd round, and it was a good litmus test. During the Push phase I was definitely lifting the heaviest. I also added a weighted vest during Push, primarily because my arms couldn't take heavier that 25 pound dumbbells in each hand, but my legs could lift more. That was the only phase where I needed it. I'm lifting much lighter in P90X mostly because the movements are faster and longer - my own body weight is often all I need to feel the burn.

I only ever did one complete week of Insanity. Physically I am able to complete the workouts, taking periodic rests, but mentally I just can't get into doing it 3 days a week. Shaun T is great and the workouts are short enough, but for some reason it is just too repetitive. I think after doing two rounds of CLX my body craves weight lifting - it's funny because before CLX I hated doing weights and I always went heavier on cardio.

Well, this was a ridiculously long response We can do it!!!

Cat
Old 01-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #4  
Cat

Today I tried Insanity Max Plyo Intervals for the first time - that was definitely a workout. I have to say that I liked the Max routine better than the ones that are designed for the first month. Granted it's longer and I took more breaks than I do with the first month's videos, but the exercises seemed more varied and the pacing was good.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #5  
Cat

I had hoped by now to have almost a second week of the hybrid rotation under my belt...but life happens! I came down with an awful case of the flu on Monday and am just now getting out of bed. I am very frustrated to have lost the momentum that I had generated, but I am going to push myself to start over again on Sunday.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #6  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

Hi
I did 150 days of p90x with kickboxing as my doubles... Meaning I did the classic rotation with a 1 hour Cardio Kickbox or a Cardio step kickbox everyday,I started Chalean X 1 and 1/2 weeks ago same thing I do no rest days and do a kickbox and an interval weight cardio equal [2 hours].So Iam IN
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #7  
Weight is Just a Number!

S/C/G: 217/174/141

I'm currently halfway through Insanity. I'm going to go ahead and finish up my 60 days, but after that I'm either going to start Chalean Extreme or do a P90X/Insanity hybrid. I think I'm just going to do 6 days a week, every other day doing either P90X resistance or Insanity cardio.

Orrrr, maybe a Chalean Extreme/Insanity hybrid, but I don't know how I would do that, because I have no idea bout Chalean Extreme.
kristyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #8  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Chaleans workots are short 35 to 45 min and 2 rest days only 1 ab day Now after p90x that leaves alot of time on my hands So I have been doing the kickboxing and adding abs and other cardio stuff {would do insanity if I had it!]
So in your thinking it over kristyjoy you may have more TIME with Chalean IDO MISS and LOVE p90x but it does EAT TIME!
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #9  
Weight is Just a Number!

S/C/G: 217/174/141

Quote:
Originally Posted by devadiva View Post
Chaleans workots are short 35 to 45 min and 2 rest days only 1 ab day Now after p90x that leaves alot of time on my hands So I have been doing the kickboxing and adding abs and other cardio stuff {would do insanity if I had it!]
So in your thinking it over kristyjoy you may have more TIME with Chalean IDO MISS and LOVE p90x but it does EAT TIME!
P90X workouts are SO LONG. I just honestly don't see the point of that. I get bored. I've gotten great results with Insanity so far, and the workouts are never over an hour.
kristyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/160/140

Height: 5'3

Congratulations to tiffany0809 and deva diva for meeting their goals!

I am currently getting back into the exercise routine doing the billy blanks bootcamp series (they've been collecting dust for at least 2 years). I like to roll with billy, but eventually I also want to roll with Shaun T. Insanity looks good and by the comments above, aren't long. Good luck to everyone!
misskitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 01:52 PM   #11  
Cat

Hi all -

devadiva - I totally hear you about 60 minutes for a P90X workout. When I was doing doubles with CLX it never seems quite as long. I've been working on making it part of my daily schedule which is helping. It also makes me look forward to the cardio days

kristyjoy - I'm not a fitness instructor, etc. but to me CLX and P90X weight videos don't seem fundamentally that different. CLX is shorter, but you are also working upper and lower body (for most of the workouts), with P90X you are only working on one muscle group. Tony Horton also tends to talk more than Chalene does so that takes up so more time. I do find that even though I may have burned more calories and/or worked out longer with P90X I'm not as spent after the weight videos as I was with CLX.

I'm still getting over the flu, but am looking forward to starting back on my rotation Sunday.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:51 PM   #12  
Cat

Feeling a bit better and back on the wagon! It felt good to workout today, even though I really didn't want to.

I did P90X Chest & Back and Hip Hop Abs Fat Burning Cardio. Not sure that I'm going to be the biggest HHAbs fan - I like Turbo Jam better, but I'll try out the other videos and wait until tomorrow to see if my abs are sore.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #13  

Tonight is Burn circuit 2 for me and I'd like to do Insanity Pure Cardio afterwards. I really need to kick up the Insanity workouts, I've been slacking!!
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 04:55 PM   #14  
Cat

Did Insanity Max Cardio Conditioning last night - difficult, but it felt good. Tonight is P90X Arms and a Turbo Jam.

Tiffany - I understand about not really wanting to do the Insanity. I find it is hard for me to get up for it mentally, but once I'm in it I feel strong and am always happy I did it.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:57 AM   #15  
Cat

Tonight was P90X Shoulders and Arms and TJ Fat Blaster. I was able to up my weights on many of the exercise, which was great...especially since I'm only in week 2. I didn't see growth this fast with CLX - I wonder if it's because I'm starting out in better shape or if it's 60 minutes versus 30/40. Next week I'm going to try and tackle pull-ups (with a chair, of course)!!