Old 07-24-2007, 05:31 AM   #1  

Height: 5'5

Default So many to choose from! A little help?

Gosh. There are so many different fitness videos out there. I'm pretty sure most of them work because I mean your moving around, your sweating.. Your working out. I just don't know which one or ones I should go for.

Does anyone have anything to say about any of the fitness videos?
Why you like them?
Why you just can't stand it?

Your input will be MCUH APPRECIATED and VERY HELPFUL!
broken wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:01 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I have a tai chi video that I really like. Tai Chi 6 Forms, 6 Easy Lessons. For most people, even overweight and obese, this would not be very challenging though. I have arthritis, fibromyalgia, and am morbidly obese. Aerobic exercise on land is nearly impossible, and very painful. I do pretty well in warm water though, so I go to a warm water therapy pool as often as I can.

When I was stronger, I had several videos. Richard Simmons' tapes come to mind, and while I loved the music and the moves, his voice became extremely annoying over time. In fact, that's pretty much my problem with a lot of exercise videos, once I'm familiar with them, the instructions become monotonous, even annoying. It would be great if you could keep the music (or even change it) yet turn off the voiceover. I've often thought of turning the volume off, and playing my own music.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:19 AM   #3  
No more excuses!

S/C/G: 141 / 136 / 120

Height: 5"3

hey girl!

The ONLY fitness video that I love and have STUCK to is Turbo Jam! I bought it a year ago and STILL do it. It makes me feel so powerful and makes me sweat SO MUCH, so I know that it is effecting my body! I tried Tai Bo but it is WAY too rough for me.
I LOVE the hostess of Turbo Jam, Chalene Johnson, because she is so down-to-earth and great at motivating you without being annoying!
the music in the videos are fantastic, too---really pumps you up!

the only thing I don't like about it is that my lazy butt sometimes can't do the entire 60 min workouts (some of them are 60 min, not all)! haha but that's MY fault! there is no other "bad" reason for turbo jam.
I fully recommend it, 100%!!!

ps: you can message me for any questions about it!

leda
TurboLeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 140/127/115

Height: 5'4"

I'm also a huge Turbo Jam fan. I found it to be the most fun and effective, the only TJ routine I don't like is Turbo Sculpt, but it is important. I'm also a fan of Denise Austin espcially her dance, kickboxing and personal training dvds.
ButterflyDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 12:50 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

Thanks for posting this - I'm really overwhelmed with all the choices too!

I've got Pilates for Dummies and mixed feelings about it. I like that I can turn the music off and use my own, but still have the instructor's voice going. I find the instructor a little annoying, but I think that's just from having had the DVD for so long that I'm sick of her! I like that there is a beginner and intermediate workout, and that most of the exercises have modifications to make them easier/harder. I like that they are each about 30mins long, so I can always squeeze it into my day. I don't like that it's just the (very thin, very fit) instructor, with no other demonstrators - I struggle with some of the moves because of my fat getting in the way, and I'd like to see some mods for that!

Right now I'm debating between WATP, TurboJam, and TaeBo. Each one has SO many people rooting for it, but very few *negative* reviews, which isn't helping me decide which is right for me!
practiceliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:15 PM   #6  

X

Last edited by elmuyloco5; 03-26-2008 at 02:26 PM.
elmuyloco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:28 PM   #7  
Wife, Mom and Teacher

S/C/G: 223~211~150

Height: 5'3"

I am a HUGE WATP fan! The main reason is I'm a klutz and her steps are so basic that I can do them without tripping over myself! She has everything from 1 mile to 5 miles workouts, plus several for toning and strength. Some say they find her too perky, but I find her enthusiasm contagious!

Good luck finding what works for you!

Michele
Michele L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:34 PM   #8  
What's this button do?

S/C/G: 323/282/150

Height: 5'6"

Collage Video is the major fitness video retailer. They have a thorough ratings system with which you can narrow down your choices. I can't say I've ever gone wrong picking a "staff favorite" that also fit the type and intensity I was looking for.

Video Fitness is another wonderful resource for video reviews.

So, think about what you're looking for in a workout video -
  • Aerobics? Strength Training? A mix? If so, do you want them blended, in intervals, or separate segments?
  • How long do you want the video to be?
  • High impact or low impact?
  • How fit are you? Do you want a lower intensity workout or do you need a higher intensity?
  • Do you want dancy aerobics or athletic aerobics?
  • Simple or complex choreography?
  • Do you want to use special equipment such as resistance bands, boxes, broomsticks, exercise ball?

You might like a variety of styles, but still, once you have a rough idea of your answers to the above questions, and you look through Collage's "staff favorites," it will be pretty narrowed down for you.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:02 AM   #9  

Height: 5'5

Thank you everyone for your replies. They have all been so helpful. I was thinking of Turbojam a while back after I went to the club with my friend for her 18th birthday and danced my booty off. I loved it and it was such a work out. I was sweating, my legs were all tingly and my thighs were sore. I was like wow, I should go to the club every weekend I'd be in shape in no time. Haha.

I'll check out that site Luminous, it might help me find the perfect one for me and give me even more ideas of what I might like.

By the way.. what is WATP?
broken wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:01 AM   #10  
Wife, Mom and Teacher

S/C/G: 223~211~150

Height: 5'3"

WATP= Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds
Michele L is offline   Reply With Quote