Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:54 AM   #31  

S/C/G: SW:171 CW:see ticker GW 120

Height: 5'1

I make it up as i go along.im ready to cry I'm at 135 today but yesterday I was 132 but I did have hibachi for dinner.not sure what I'm doing wrong.I need to figure it out and soon I have an event coming up in November and I wanna be 125.Im doing 3 days with trainer plus one day at gym.Im really trying to eat nothing but chicken and veggies.
skittlesfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:35 AM   #32  
flyin purple people eater

S/C/G: sz 20/22 --> sz 10/12 --> sz 8

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbysmall View Post
That sounds like a wonderful moment to experience!

As for the yoga...
I have heard of it and seen it, but never tried it myself. I actually show the Frontiers "Worried sick" video routinely at work and it has a feature on Kundalini Yoga, meditation and the Relaxation response.

Actually meditation and yoga, or any mindfulness based practice DOES help weight loss, and there have been lots of studies on it. Stress throws your hormones/adrenals and metabolism out of balance, so making time to relax daily helps accelerate weight loss.
Thanks!

I tried to kick my sugar addiction in the past but it wasn't until I started meditating daily that I found the grit inside myself to shake it off permanently. I definitely agree that meditation helps with weight loss, neurosis and addiction. It's powerful. One of the many reasons why I'm training to be a yoga & meditation teacher!
Raisin5Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:55 AM   #33  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisin5Cookies View Post
I tried to kick my sugar addiction in the past but it wasn't until I started meditating daily that I found the grit inside myself to shake it off permanently.
So interesting! I have never been very good at meditating - too much monkey mind! - but I want to get back into *trying* to make it a regular practice. There are just so many benefits.

I am still pretty off track. I think I have lingering fatigue from being sick and I haven't gone grocery shopping, planned any meals or figured out how to get to the gym or even go on a walk. It's exhausting just thinking about it.

Yesterday was a disaster. Dusting myself off. Hopefully I can get things back on track today
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #34  

Monkey mind is so true! What I love about Kundalini meditation is that it involves mudras and mantras so it keeps my monkey mind busy!
Old 10-14-2015, 08:02 PM   #35  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Monkey mind is so true! What I love about Kundalini meditation is that it involves mudras and mantras so it keeps my monkey mind busy!
I like to meditate daily, but haven't been as consistent as I would like to be lately. My style is breathe in, one, breathe out, two, breathe in, three, breathe out, four, up to ten, then start again. It's supposed to keep monkey mind at bay, but I often don't make it to "two" before I'm distracted, lol.
HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 181/ticker/115

Another former sugar addict here as well! What helped me was a change in psych meds from SSRI to SNRI. Cut my cravings to a fraction of what they were in a matter of days, but obviously not something that can be recommended to others. :P I think there was something massively wrong with my brain when it comes to pleasure - not only did my cravings abate, but exercise makes me feel good most of the time. I guess it's a dopamine thing, that was messed up before?

Losing has become so hard for me! Before I could easily lose 8 pounds a month, or 6, but now I'm fighting every pound tooth and nail. On the plus side, every lost pound shows too. But heck, I'm only 8 measly pounds away from being in healthy weight - and about 12 from my former "skinny weight" - and I'm getting so inpatient! Was losing hope already but thanks to you chatters I'm thinking it's possible again.
pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:47 PM   #37  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeon View Post
Another former sugar addict here as well! What helped me was a change in psych meds from SSRI to SNRI. Cut my cravings to a fraction of what they were in a matter of days, but obviously not something that can be recommended to others. :P I think there was something massively wrong with my brain when it comes to pleasure - not only did my cravings abate, but exercise makes me feel good most of the time. I guess it's a dopamine thing, that was messed up before?

Losing has become so hard for me! Before I could easily lose 8 pounds a month, or 6, but now I'm fighting every pound tooth and nail. On the plus side, every lost pound shows too. But heck, I'm only 8 measly pounds away from being in healthy weight - and about 12 from my former "skinny weight" - and I'm getting so inpatient! Was losing hope already but thanks to you chatters I'm thinking it's possible again.
Seems my pounds are not coming off without a lot of kicking and screaming. They actually seem to be going up a little, whereas before it was more consistently the other way. It's because I'm not willing to eat as little as I used to. I'm trying to eat earlier so I'll have a better weigh in the next day, at least, but that only works if the calories out are more than the calories in.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:10 PM   #38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungerWerks View Post
Seems my pounds are not coming off without a lot of kicking and screaming. They actually seem to be going up a little, whereas before it was more consistently the other way. It's because I'm not willing to eat as little as I used to. I'm trying to eat earlier so I'll have a better weigh in the next day, at least, but that only works if the calories out are more than the calories in.
Yeah, calories in, calories out, can't really get around that. :P
Old 10-25-2015, 05:30 PM   #39  

So, I guess it doesn't officially "count" yet, but I bought some size 12 jeans from a charity shop yesterday and I can button them up! Haha. Muffin top ahoy, unfortunately, so they are not wearable out of doors yet, but STILL. This is exciting news. I've been in size 12 tops for a few weeks now, so it's fun to be inching towards the same size on the bottom half.

Went to a christening today and managed to stay on-plan during the party. There was only fresh fruit & veggie sticks that were available for me to eat, pretty much, but I did have some coleslaw and the innards of a slice of quiche and actually got full faster than I expected. Back to normalcy (and food of my own choosing) tomorrow!
Old 10-26-2015, 06:37 AM   #40  

That's so cool Raisin! It feels so amazing to be down a size. Really makes the loss a concrete thing.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:47 AM   #41  

I've been upping my veggies. I've been eating veggies on every meal all the time (somehow I've gotten hooked to that one - I don't feel like I've eaten unless there has been something fresh & colourful on my plate) but I'm adding more now and tilting the balance more to the fresh veggie direction. Also having a spoonful of ground flax seeds a day (just mixed in water). The added fiber is really working, I had some trouble before because I was eating so little compared to what I used to that my bowel went into a strike.

Should have more things like boiled beans and green tea too. I've just been lazy in the kitchen. That is so silly, it is the "kitchen habits" I think that is the root of health and well-being.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:30 PM   #42  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Thumbs up

Quote:
So, I guess it doesn't officially "count" yet, but I bought some size 12 jeans from a charity shop yesterday and I can button them up! Haha. Muffin top ahoy, unfortunately, so they are not wearable out of doors yet, but STILL. This is exciting news. I've been in size 12 tops for a few weeks now, so it's fun to be inching towards the same size on the bottom half.

Went to a christening today and managed to stay on-plan during the party. There was only fresh fruit & veggie sticks that were available for me to eat, pretty much, but I did have some coleslaw and the innards of a slice of quiche and actually got full faster than I expected. Back to normalcy (and food of my own choosing) tomorrow!
Congrats on the new pants! I love going to Goodwill to get clothes as I transition from one size to another. Then they can be recycled as the new sizes are needed!
Old 10-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #43  

Thanks, Hunger and pigeon.

I think I was on a plateau earlier in the month, but I've had a little "whoosh" as it's called (I believe?) and had lots of compliments on my appearance and stuff too. Even my husband has FINALLY noticed. I about fell over, haha!

I drink a LOT of herbal tea, pigeon - mostly redbush/rooibos, but also the different varieties of Yogi Tea. I can't stand fruit teas at all though!

Today I ate vegetables in many different forms - roasted, soup and salad. I definitely hit my five - a - day for sure.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:58 AM   #44  
ending 7+ years of yoyo

S/C/G: (body fat) >34.5%/?/<25%

Height: 5' 6", small frame, "obese" body fat

Hi feathers! You all seem to be doing so well! (At least the ones who are posting). Me, not so great. I got off track with an illness earlier in the month and haven't been able to get back on - the carb cravings are back with a vengeance.

The good news is that I started tracking everything again (I stopped in early September for some reason!). I discovered that what I consider a pretty bad binge-y day (white bread, chocolate, pasta) was "only" around 2000 calories. I was surprised by that. Some people maintain on that.

But 250g carb

THIS is weird/interesting: Apparently my horrible binge-y day (to me) is almost EXACTLY the macros average of the Standard American Diet (2000 cal - 50% carb / 35% fat / 15% protein). Ick. I feel like crap.

All right, I don't have a point. Just felt like being accountable rather than disappearing. I am supposedly back on track today ... we'll see.

Thanks for being my inspiration, feathers!

PS - I have been maintaining for most of October around 135 pounds - so all my hard work of the summer is definitely not lost!

Last edited by EmmaD; 10-29-2015 at 10:00 AM. Reason: PS
EmmaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:53 AM   #45  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaD View Post
Hi feathers! You all seem to be doing so well! (At least the ones who are posting). Me, not so great. I got off track with an illness earlier in the month and haven't been able to get back on - the carb cravings are back with a vengeance.

The good news is that I started tracking everything again (I stopped in early September for some reason!). I discovered that what I consider a pretty bad binge-y day (white bread, chocolate, pasta) was "only" around 2000 calories. I was surprised by that. Some people maintain on that.

But 250g carb

THIS is weird/interesting: Apparently my horrible binge-y day (to me) is almost EXACTLY the macros average of the Standard American Diet (2000 cal - 50% carb / 35% fat / 15% protein). Ick. I feel like crap.

All right, I don't have a point. Just felt like being accountable rather than disappearing. I am supposedly back on track today ... we'll see.

Thanks for being my inspiration, feathers!

PS - I have been maintaining for most of October around 135 pounds - so all my hard work of the summer is definitely not lost!
135 at 5'6" is really great! Lots of people would LOVE to be that.