Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:41 PM   #16  
Hungry for Health! (-:

S/C/G: 141/108.8/BMI above 18.49

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamamia1 View Post
When I want to eat I try to focus on something else! I start to wash up, clean, read...in other words do anything to forget about food!! ths is the only thing that helps! oh and eat an apple too
Thanks, Mamamia. Turning your focus to something else is simple, and works surprisingly well! And there are, well, not to overstate the case, billions of other things to think about! Maybe I'm overstating a little, but the principle is true.

And I've heard that apples are great for a lot of things. Here's one I just saw on HuffPo:

One component of an apple's peel (which also has most of the fiber) is something called ursolic acid, which was linked to a lower risk of obesity in a recent study in mice. That's because it boosts calorie burn and increases muscle and brown fat, HuffPost UK reported.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_1855590.html

The article also says apples can:

lower cholesterol
keep you full
prevent breathing problems
fight colds
may fight cancer
decrease diabetes risk
may help memory and lower chances of developing Alzheimer's!

HungerWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:45 PM   #17  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Default Intermittent Fasting (IF)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenFZ09 View Post
I see what you are saying. If I could weigh less but was always hungry, I would choose to weigh more. There is a quality of life aspect, but I'm talking about being 105 vs 120 so this might not apply to people who think 120 is okay. I like being close to 100 lbs, but I'm not going to be hungry to get there.

If hunger works for you, go for it. As long as you can function and aren't getting sick.
Thanks, Jen. I love the way you stated that! And, as far as functioning and health, I am happy and energetic - especially since I've made it a point to take my vitamins more regularly, with some raw nuts - and I can't remember when I was last ill. Fasting is actually known to reduce inflammation, which is at the root of a lot of disease processes.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #18  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickilaughs View Post
I keep drinking water...and cooking. Today i'm sick so I'm not doing much of anything.
Hope you're feeling better now, Nicki. The water will surely help with that! It's also a great go-to for cutting those hunger pangs, for sure!
Old 02-18-2015, 06:50 PM   #19  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violette_R View Post
I took up cross stitch as a way to watch TV for a few hours without feeling like an unproductive sloth. But it turned out it's also really good at distracting me from evening snacking.
That's really good, Violette! And you get some beautiful artwork to show for it, also.

Do you say your name placing the emphasis on the first syllable or the last, if you don't mind my asking?
Old 02-18-2015, 09:46 PM   #20  
life is not a rehearsal

S/C/G: 62/60.5/50

Height: 5"4

Drink coffee (tea does not work, it makes you hungrier!)
Oneten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:40 PM   #21  
Mandy

S/C/G: 153/153/120

Height: 5'5'' or 165cm

Good question haha I do eat a lot during the day, but if I've just eaten or something and really need to avoid it, I'll:

- drink lots of water
- do my homework (boo)
- see if my friends want to go out
- read a book
- draw
- write
- blog
- walk the dog
- paint my nails

That's all I can think of for now, really!
wendybirdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #22  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Thumbs up

Thank you for the great ideas, Oneten and Wendy! I love that the idea - we can just "change our minds" about eating when we don't need to eat - is being reinforced!
Old 02-24-2015, 12:43 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 180/155/140

Height: 65 inches

If I find myself walking into the kitchen for a snack because I'm bored, I drink a glass of water instead. I leave a glass out on the kitchen table so I see it right when I walk in the room.

Sometimes, I remove myself from the situation. Since the kitchen is on the main floor, sometimes I go down to the basement with my son- our playroom is in the basement. Sometimes we pack up and go out- just to Barnes and Noble or Target or somewhere. But I have to make sure that I don't have any cash in my wallet. I won't put snacks on my credit or debit card, but I'm more tempted if I have cash.
crunchymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 01:57 PM   #24  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchymama View Post
If I find myself walking into the kitchen for a snack because I'm bored, I drink a glass of water instead. I leave a glass out on the kitchen table so I see it right when I walk in the room.

Sometimes, I remove myself from the situation. Since the kitchen is on the main floor, sometimes I go down to the basement with my son- our playroom is in the basement. Sometimes we pack up and go out- just to Barnes and Noble or Target or somewhere. But I have to make sure that I don't have any cash in my wallet. I won't put snacks on my credit or debit card, but I'm more tempted if I have cash.
Thank you, CrunchyMama! I have that same glass out in the kitchen. I force myself to drink a cup full of water after I wake up, and try to get more in during the day. It's not the most exciting or glamorous drink, but it does us so much good! Including helping us lose weight the next day, as everything moves along.

I love that you take yourself away from the food! And you're also moving, which burns, as I say to myself when I have to do chores I don't want to do, "Calories, calories, calories!"

Some reasons to drink water, from WebMD:

1. Drinking Water Helps Maintain the Balance of Body Fluids.

2. Water Can Help Control Calories.

3. Water Helps Energize Muscles.

4. Water Helps Keep Skin Looking Good.

5. Water Helps Your Kidneys.

6. Water Helps Maintain Normal Bowel Function

http://www.webmd.com/diet/6-reasons-...k-water?page=3
Old 02-26-2015, 11:18 PM   #25  
Suicide Wing Winner

S/C/G: 135/98/105

Height: 5'5"

Hot sauce

Horseradish

White vinegar

Whole grain mustard

All can sometimes work as appetite suppressants - with very little calories, if any. The Horseradish sauce works the best, the burn can become addicting... sort of.
Krazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:53 AM   #26  
Refreshed

Depending on the situation, I try to do the following:

Drink water
Read
Cook for the next meal
Clean
Exercise
Watch a movie
Durian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:18 AM   #27  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
Hot sauce

Horseradish

White vinegar

Whole grain mustard

All can sometimes work as appetite suppressants - with very little calories, if any. The Horseradish sauce works the best, the burn can become addicting... sort of.
I like all those things, and think they would taste good together.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #28  
Hungry for Health! (-:

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durian View Post
Depending on the situation, I try to do the following:

Drink water
Read
Cook for the next meal
Clean
Exercise
Watch a movie
Thank you, Durian. And I have one: Check this thread for good ideas like these! I think sometimes we forget that we have so many other options.