Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 11-08-2014, 06:54 PM   #1  
Do you even lift, bro?

S/C/G: 125/109/110

Height: 5'3''

Default When friends/family/partner comment about your weight...what do /you/ do?

I'm trying to reach 110 (I'm 116-ish now) and a few weeks ago, my guy told me that he likes me at a heavier weight. Anyone else ever been in this situation?

Q: When trying to reach a goal weight, do you take into consideration opinions of your significant other/friends/family?

Last edited by Aidanqm; 11-08-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Aidanqm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:50 AM   #2  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/107/104

Height: 5'3"

All the time. I listen for the wisdom of the Still Small Voice before trusting the comments of the fallen world.
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:36 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 296/273/190

Height: 5'10

Ay ay ay.

Well, my husband had an issue with my weight that spurred me into losing weight, but I think that's a different issue because I wasn't feeling comfortable in my own skin, and I agreed with him that my weight is a problem.

I think you need to pick the weight that makes you feel the best. Yes, his opinion matters, but it doesn't take precedence over your health. So decide what feels the most healthy for you. Then take both your mental and emotional preferences into account together, once health is accounted for.

I'm by no means a style or clothing aficionado, but I think there are ways to use clothing to bring out your curves more. Find out what it is in particular that he likes (is it fuller cheeks? hips? torso?) and see if there's a way clothing or makeup can help, if you like. Or you can work out to tone yourself in certain areas. I'm not saying I think it's necessary, just that those are options if you're open to them (or indifferent).

Are you losing weight purely for aesthetic reasons? Or for health? I guess that's an important thing to think about. It looks like you're probably in or close to a healthy range?

EDIT: Forgot to answer your question:

I don't take my family's or friends' advice into consideration at all with the exception of my husband, because it has gotten me into trouble before, so I'm sticking to my own guns. I'm also very stubborn. But my husband is a very reasonable, thoughtful, caring, and considerate person who has my health in mind and loves me unconditionally, and he doesn't give advice and opinions all the time based on his most recent personal experiences. So I listen to my husband, and I respect what he has to say. I think as long as your husband has your health in mind (and actually, that might be why he "likes" you better with more weight, because he sees that as healthier?), then it's worth listening to him or showing him why you think your goal weight is a healthy and realistic target for you.

Last edited by faiora; 11-09-2014 at 06:42 AM.
faiora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

I can completely relate. My fiance has been complaining about my weight loss for the last 15 or so lbs. Just about every time he sees me he makes me promise I'm not going to lose any more weight or get any "skinnier". He prefers a more curvy figure so I use clothing to accentuate my curves and seek out clothing to wear around him that makes me appear bigger in the hips actually.
My family too and friends as well have bugged me about not losing any more. So I have completely stopped talking about diet, weight loss, exercise etc to anyone irl. Which was really hard at first, but its caused people to back off a lot.
I thought about stopping at where my fiance wanted me to stop, but I was not comfortable at that weight. So I continue to work on losing because at the end of the day I have to live in this body and what's most comfortable for me is what I should do, not rely on the arbitrary aesthetics others want to force on me.
Good luck!
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #5  
Nutritionally Obsessed

S/C/G: 130/118/under 120

Height: 5'5"

My husband likes thin girls. When I met him, I was at a bad place mentally. Both of my parents were sick and dying. I don't know what I weighed, must have been in the teens. I gained some weight (was 130 lbs), lost some weight (got down to 119 lbs two summer's ago). I have a hard time staying near 120lbs. It's an obsession.

He doesn't bother me about anything except "don't get fat." You people are lucky if your husbands take you for who you are. His saying is, "well, I know you won't get fat." So, staying thin is a 24/7 obsession. He's thin. I don't mind if guys have weight on them. He's much more into his muscles than I am.

It's hard when part of your worth depends on your appearance.

Last edited by JenFZ09; 12-06-2014 at 07:13 AM.
JenFZ09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:15 PM   #6  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

When I was about 30 lbs lighter than I am now, my friends/family freaked out. Most of them told me to stop losing RIGHT NOW, and wouldn't stop talking about it. At the time, I was barely in the healthy range.

My point is that a lot of times friends and family don't know what's healthy or comfortable for you. So no, I try hard not to take their opinion into account. I also never bring up weight, food, dieting, or anything. Not that that helps sometimes.

However, for an SO, depending on how he or she presented it (like in a kind, open, discussion sort of way and not as an order/ultimatum), I might take that into account. But if you feel more comfortable or healthier at a lower weight (and 110 is completely healthy for people your height in general), I would talk to him about that. Tell him how great it makes you feel, and hopefully when you feel great, he'll feel great too.

But my first priority with my health and weight is myself. It has to be. No one else lives in my body, and so they can't know what feels best for me. I would never tell someone I loved to fix their weight so that I'll like them better; it just doesn't matter to me, whereas MY weight does matter to me. But that's just my opinion.

It's a bit of a tricky situation. Can you talk to your SO openly about it?
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:42 PM   #7  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

I am definitely not the best person to ask having separated from his wife for five months now.

Saying that, what is the absolute worst approach is to be defensive and angry about it. Don't do that. That really did not turn out well for me.

Agreeing but ignoring was a little bit better.

But end result...still bad.

So good luck.

Last edited by IanG; 12-06-2014 at 06:52 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:53 PM   #8  

Height: 5'2"

I always try to listen to the opinions of others about my actions but in the final analysis, weight is my business.

My plan going into the new year is not to talk about it so much to others. Diet message boards are fine, but I am going to shut up about it to family and friends as it doesn't help them or me.
Sage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:58 AM   #9  
Goal is health

S/C/G: 238.8/176.1/163

Height: 5'8"

Keep doing what you are doing. I try to not let others effect me. My husband wouldn't make a comment either way. He loves me the way I am.
DrivenByAmbition is offline   Reply With Quote