Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:39 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 167/re-start:153/ticker/125

Height: 5'4

I finally bought new running shoes (went with some ASICS) and went on my first run with them (2 miles), and my feet feel SO much better.

I am thinking about running a 5k at the end of July, and am hoping to beat my previous 5k time (28.44 mins).
seize the day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #32  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by seize the day View Post
I finally bought new running shoes (went with some ASICS) and went on my first run with them (2 miles), and my feet feel SO much better.

I am thinking about running a 5k at the end of July, and am hoping to beat my previous 5k time (28.44 mins).
Hurray for the ASICS club! What style did you get?
(and great time, too btw!)
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #33  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

LOL, everyone I know run in Asics. Like, EVERYONE. All you here, my boyfriend, my running buddy, everyonnnnnneee.

But I hate them with passion every single time I put a pair on LOL

Just got back from a run in the rain, I was dreading it but in the end it felt great to have the bike path almost all to myself
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #34  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboMammoth View Post
LOL, everyone I know run in Asics. Like, EVERYONE. All you here, my boyfriend, my running buddy, everyonnnnnneee.

Just got back from a run in the rain, I was dreading it but in the end it felt great to have the bike path almost all to myself
I used to have Nike True Balance, but I guess I joined the Asics club, lol.

I like running in the rain, as long as it's not pouring. When it's too rainy, my clothes/shoes/hair get really floppy/heavy and I find it distracting.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #35  

S/C/G: crazy/working/calm

Height: 5'8"

Quote:

Awww, it seems like ASICS are either love 'em or hate 'em. I loved the feel from the moment I slipped 'em on.
Hurray for your rain run! Love that feeling. Do you wear different shoes for runnin' in the rain or do you just tough it out?

(and thanks for the welcome back, btw. made me feel special.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seize the day View Post
I used to have Nike True Balance, but I guess I joined the Asics club, lol.

I like running in the rain, as long as it's not pouring. When it's too rainy, my clothes/shoes/hair get really floppy/heavy and I find it distracting.
One has to be in the mood to run in the rain, I think. Sometimes I do it and I feel all committed and bad ***... but sometimes it is just distracting. Eh. Depends on the day.

~~~
So happy to be able to post in that I got in a run last night AND this morning. Short little baby runs (3mi and 2mi, respectively) but better than nothing and my WORD do they work wonders for my mood. I love the Bill Phillips quote: "Food is the most widely abused anti-anxiety drug in America, and exercise is the most potent and underutilized antidepressant." SO true!!!
Alexistrophic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #36  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexistrophic View Post
Awww, it seems like ASICS are either love 'em or hate 'em. I loved the feel from the moment I slipped 'em on.
Hurray for your rain run! Love that feeling. Do you wear different shoes for runnin' in the rain or do you just tough it out?

~~~
So happy to be able to post in that I got in a run last night AND this morning. Short little baby runs (3mi and 2mi, respectively) but better than nothing and my WORD do they work wonders for my mood. I love the Bill Phillips quote: "Food is the most widely abused anti-anxiety drug in America, and exercise is the most potent and underutilized antidepressant." SO true!!!
I run with the same running shoes, rain or not I don't really mind getting them wet, they dry pretty quickly And I've always had the attitude ''Meeeeh they gonna get dirty anyway!''

Good job on the runs!!
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:05 AM   #37  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexistrophic View Post

One has to be in the mood to run in the rain, I think. Sometimes I do it and I feel all committed and bad ***... but sometimes it is just distracting. Eh. Depends on the day.

~~~
I agree, running in the rain is def either fun or terrible based on my mood.

Great job on the runs! I really need to push myself to do runs everyday, I could use the mood booster!

Quote:
I run with the same running shoes, rain or not I don't really mind getting them wet, they dry pretty quickly And I've always had the attitude ''Meeeeh they gonna get dirty anyway!''

Good job on the runs!!
I need to adopt that attitude more often-- especially because it's supposed to rain tonight.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 159/158/135

Height: 5' 6.5"

So...has anyone reached their running goals? I was averaging 2 half marathons a year for about 4 years. Then the stress fracture happened and I was in a boot. Have completed 2 since the fracture but each time has been slower and the training more difficult. Want to sign up for a half for this spring but not feeling real motivated about training.
Gkm130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:11 AM   #39  
very small boned

S/C/G: 110/107/104

Height: 5'3"

I'd like to get into more crosstraining, walking, and yoga this year. I'm not doing any races... too broke.
girl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:31 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 137/134/~120

Height: 5' 5"

I'm trying to get back into running. I've never been a very impressive runner, but I used to run 3-5 miles a couple of times a week. Started going back to the gym recently, and right now I'm trying to work up to running 5 miles on the treadmill (it is WAY too cold to run outside right now--I'm so sick of this winter). I'm sad to say that I can't run much more than half a mile right now; I alternate a quarter mile of walking with a half mile of running to make up my 5 miles (so I end up running 3 and walking 2 in intervals if that makes sense).
LongColdWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:27 PM   #41  
very small boned

I see better results with intervals Long; Good for you for staying active in the cold!
Old 02-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #42  
Training for life!

S/C/G: 174/150/131

Height: 5'5"

Just saw this thread,had been posting on EXERCISE but it disappeared this month.
I have been running for 21/2 yrs a late bloomer started at 59.
Lately no running had back surgrey on 12/17 so have just been walking and have been allowed this week for the elliptical. Have been doing 40 min.
Miss my running.I have gained weight through my recovery,lack of exercise and buttoning my lips
devadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:01 PM   #43  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Ahhhh, my favorite topic! I struggle so much with eating well, but I LOVE to run.

GKM, do you read Runners World? They always have great ideas for switching up your training. I was running really well last year, and then got plantar fasciitis. Wasn't able to run for months. Now, I've got my mileage back but I'm so much slower! I'm running a 1/2 marathon in a few weeks and I know it will be way off my best time. But I reminded myself the other day that 3 years ago, I made great improvement in my time in just a few months of consistent training (which included one day of speed work each week). So now I'm trying to talk myself into doing speed work once a week. We'll see if that happens.

LongColdWinter, I think alternating walking and running is a great plan. Before you know it, those running intervals will overtake the walking intervals altogether. :-)

Devadiva, do your doctors think you'll be able to run again? Have they given you a timeline?

Girl81, I always vow to crosstrain but never do. I know it would be better for me, especially for injury prevention. Good for you for getting it done!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 03:38 AM   #44  
very small boned

Quote:
Originally Posted by devadiva View Post
Just saw this thread,had been posting on EXERCISE but it disappeared this month.
I have been running for 21/2 yrs a late bloomer started at 59.
Lately no running had back surgrey on 12/17 so have just been walking and have been allowed this week for the elliptical. Have been doing 40 min.
Miss my running.I have gained weight through my recovery,lack of exercise and buttoning my lips
I hope you feel better soon. I honestly think walking is the best cardio for weight loss. Too bad I'm addicted to the runner's high. lol. God bless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesame7lbs View Post
Ahhhh, my favorite topic! I struggle so much with eating well, but I LOVE to run.

Girl81, I always vow to crosstrain but never do. I know it would be better for me, especially for injury prevention. Good for you for getting it done!
I understand that; I'm finding I feel better with more raw foods right now. I think portion sizes are crucial as well.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:00 AM   #45  

S/C/G: 137/134/~120

Height: 5' 5"

I've been able to do better with my intervals--I'm running/walking 5 miles on the treadmill three times a week, and I'm up to running 3.75 miles of that--I walk a quarter mile, run a mile, etc. Got my time down to 54:02. Eventually I want to be running the whole 5 miles, and I hope to get my time down to 45.
LongColdWinter is offline   Reply With Quote