Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:22 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6

Default What's the most significant change you've made...

...since starting this weight loss journey? Be it in your diet and/or exercise.

For me:
Diet: Cutting the refined sugar out. No cake, cookies, white potatoes, white rice, white bread, etc. This has made a world of difference in the way I look and feel. I have more energy, my skin looks clearer, I'm sleeping better, my concentration has improved, my memory is sharper and my moods are more even. Sugar is the enemy, lol.

Exercise: Finally becoming a runner after years of thinking about it. I ran track in elementary school and was quite good. But after so many years of not running and getting older, I let a lot of negative thoughts stop me from trying it. Also, I never really liked to sweat (much) and that kept me from wanting to attempt it. After seeing some of the women in my neighborhood (some whom are older than me) stay in such great shape due to running, I decided I had to try it. I'm so glad I did because it's the only type of cardio that's reshaped me from head to toe, lol.

What about the rest of you Feathers?

Last edited by fitmom; 08-13-2011 at 09:32 PM.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #2  
Gaining control

S/C/G: 148/131/120

Height: 5'2

I wish I could say...but I havent noticed much. I have been doing this for two months. I am actually sleeping worse (this could be from several other factors tho), & my back hurts since starting to run again (pretty sure I need new shoes).

At first I noticed more energy, but since exercising more I am actually more drained (within the past week), I am thinking I need to up my calories.

When I dieted in the past (4 years ago) I noticed TONS of benefits, like the ones you stated above. I hope in time, it gets better.
mamamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 145/131.5/125

Height: 5'3"

Exercise & I cutting out a LOT of carbs. (I have had bread probably once in the last two months; used to eat sandwiches often.)
nikkinouille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 189/164/145

fitmom Do you not eat any refined sugar at all? Not even the occasional cookie or tablespoon of pb?
skinnyelle39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:40 AM   #5  

skinnyelle39: Not really. I used to consume large amounts of bread, pasta, rice, cookies, you name it. And paid dearly for it, lol. I really try and watch my sugar consumption now. Processed foods are something I almost never eat as well except for my weekly cheat meal.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 189/164/145

fitmom awesome and admirable as usual :0). Im really going to try to make a goal of cutting or limiting the processed stuff and refined sugars this week. I think it keeps me in a cravings cycle and thats why Im not losing the way I should be. I usually dont have much but I sneak in mini CLIF protein bars and 100-cal bags of popcorn daily. Sometimes I just feel like I NEED SOMETHING during the afternoon at work. What do you snack on? What about artificial sugar in coffee or anything else?

Last edited by skinnyelle39; 08-15-2011 at 09:54 AM.
skinnyelle39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #7  
Gaining control

Skinnynelle39 - I actually eat the CLIFF protein bars almost daily...either before or after my workout. I find them really easy, and I find if I am craving something sweet, they hit the spot. They also have carbs and since I eat so little carbs, they help me power through the day on my exercise days.

Refined sugars are hard to avoid, especially if you work. Its so hard to find things that are "packable" and won't spoil.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #8  

skinnyelle9: I don't use any sugar in coffee or tea. I rarely drink coffee b/c the caffeine makes me jittery. I drink regular black tea with skim milk and a lot of green tea. I'm not big on the artificial sweetners. I snack on cottage cheese with walnuts and blueberries. Baby carrots with hummus. Whole wheat toast with some natural p.b. Sliced apple with lowfat string cheese. I would say to start small. If you go full-throttle, you might end up giving up and that would defeat the purpose. I also drink a lot of water and that helps stave off the cravings too. Good luck and I know you can do it.

Last edited by fitmom; 08-15-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #9  
Gaining control

Fitmom - the way you eat, reminds me of Tosca Reno's cookbook. I just picked it up this weekend, I LOVE it. I made her apple banana bread last night, SO good. I use to eat this way regularly before I got together with my son's father and through getting comfortable/lazy, I stopped. Now I have been making more of an effort to eat this way (especially since my son was born), "clean eating."
Old 08-15-2011, 10:12 AM   #10  

mamamorgan: "Clean eating", that's exactly right. I feel soooo much better because I'm not eating all that processed food. My older son has jumped on the bandwagon and that makes me really happy. Is it easy? No but nothing great in life really ever is IMO. But it's so worth it when you look and feel so much better, at least that's how it is for me. Good luck to you too.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:52 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 114/107/105

I love this topic, fitmom!

I think the thing I changed most about my diet is really focusing on whole foods. It really helps me feel okay about consumption, and ends food guilt for me. Also, I think changing (or at least trying to change) my all or nothing thinking with food has really changed for the better. Instead of letting a slip up turn into a binge, I deal with the less severe uncomfortable feelings from a slip up, vs a very self loathing situation if it turns into a binge...

Exercise wise, I've started running, and I feel more fit than I've ever felt. I also have learned to do exercise for the fun of it, and for the health benefits--it isn't just a vehicle for burning calories anymore...which when it was, it felt like punishment!
paperdollme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 182/ticker/130 145 hlthy bmi

Height: 5'4"

I introduce protein in breakfast,lunch and dinner. Do not eat carbs after 2 p.m. 2 fruits daily, green tea after bf,lunch and dinner. Eat only 2 servings of carbs apart from fruit.
puneri is offline   Reply With Quote