Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 06-28-2011, 02:47 PM   #1  

Default Don't bother reading if you've not been called "too skinny

EEek! It happened again and I want to know if this has happened to you as a featherweight.

Last Labor Day, as I posted once before somewhere, I accidentally lost 6 lbs. I don't have 6 lbs to lose. I'm 5'10" and normal weight is 125-129. It took me two weeks, but I gained it back.

When I went thru my divorce, same thing but I expected that.

So this weekend, I mowed my lawn, kayaked, boated, etc. I ran 4.5 miles yesterday. blah blah blah - all normal stuff for me.

This morning, my skin felt, I don't know, "loose". So I hopped on the scale, something I rarely do, and to my horror, I was 119 lbs.

How the heck did I lose like 6 lbs??? So today, I packed extra protein shakes and had three breakfasts (well, ok, the last one was technically lunch). Hopefully, no one says anything to me and I gain it back soon. I hate it when people tell me I'm too skinny, but this time even I think I am.

Does this ever happen to you? Looking back, I guess I didn't eat much for that amount of activity, and I did suffer an upset stomach, but seriously, 6 lbs? I just think that's weird.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #2  

Height: 5'8

Well if you had an upset stomach, it might just be dehydration? Especially if you were so active at the same time. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm a big believer in a happy weight. If you eat healthily, when you're hungry then you'll go back up to your happy weight soon enough!

Ah I have got the too skinny comments a few times, but I guess the difference between you and me is I know I'm not so I take it as a compliment
claire0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 130/120/115

Height: 5'2"

I definitely second the possibility that the upset stomach might have done it for you...whether it comes out the front or the back that's a lot of fluid going with it! I had an off day (where it was coming out the back, not the front :P) late last week. I hopped on the scale in the morning at 126 lbs, a few hours later my butt was glued to the toilet and around noon I stepped on again (because everyone knows you should weigh after you BM, haha) and I was 124...AND I'd eaten both breakfast and lunch and drank a couple glasses of water in that time!

I've had people call me 'too skinny' but that's because I'm skinny-fat. If they saw me naked they'd sing a different tune!
mimi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 137/115/107

Yes, I used to get "you're too skinny" a lot. I know how frustrating that can be. Sounds like you're doing all you can to correct it. Just try not to gain too fast.

You brought up a point that I've wondered about before. Can protein shakes make you gain weight? I know you need protein so you don't lose muscle, and I assume that's why you're filling your diet with them?... or is it b/c they make you gain fat? Sorry to get off your topic!
skinny fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #5  

Height: 5'8

skinnyfast My brother does that with protein shakes, just to add calories. He drinks them as snacks. He reckons it helps him add muscle weight (obv he does weights too)
claire0412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #6  

I drink protein shakes as weight gainers but not to gain fat. The ones I drink are specially formulated for people who regularly weight train. The nutrients in there are supposed to aid in muscle weight gain, not fat weight gain.

But I suppose if I drank the extra calories without burning off the energy like they're intended to be used like, then the extra calories would be stored as fat.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #7  

And yeah, I kind of think it was the poop thing. My lips have been real dry, too.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #8  

Thanks Claire! My husband used to drink them too, for the exact same reason, but do you know how they work as a meal replacement? I drink 1 as my lunch (Orgain) and always wonder if the extra protein is slowing my weight loss. But as far as I can tell, it's got some stuff in it that's great for my vegetarian diet. And they're a super appetite suppressant. Just wonder about the extra peotein...
Old 06-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #9  

Thanks!! Hope you're feeling better!
Old 06-28-2011, 04:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 147/see ticker/115

Height: 5'3"

I went on a crazy long run in too-high heat and humidity about a month ago. I didn't hydrate as much as I should have, and the next day I'd dropped two pounds. VERY easily put back on through just proper hydration, though, but I could actually tell a little too much scrawniness especially in my upper body that day.
kat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:38 PM   #11  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Gaining weight is fun and easy. If you think you're too skinny, just add more fat/calories to your diet, and cut back on exercise.

Oh...and yeah...I get all kinds of comments about my weight (being too thin/tiny/etc.) Doesn't really bother me. That said...I am aware that it is summer and being a runner and really not having much of an appetite when it's hot and muggy, that I could easily drop more weight and lose muscle (which is really what I am guarding like the fort knox). With that in mind, I HAVE CUT BACK on my running.

Bottom line...either eat more, keep exercise same, or eat same, lower exercise frequency and/or intensity. But somethings gotta give...you can't keep creating a deficit and expect not to lose muscle. At your current height/weight, it would seem impossible that you are carrying excess fat, so keep in mind that losing muscle, means having to eat less just to maintain....not good.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by joyfulloser; 06-28-2011 at 05:39 PM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #12  

Yeah, Joyfull, that's just it. I know I've lost muscle.

I estimate I ate close to 3000 calories yesterday. Problem was, due to work and committments, I also ran 4 miles, lifted light wts, and played 24 games of tennis.

Oh well. Today is a recovery day. I already had Trix cereal for breakfast and will eat a banana before meetings today. I'm planning a lunch date, a nice home cooked meal and I'm baking cookies. By week's end, I should be back on track.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 147/see ticker/115

Height: 5'3"

24 games of tennis?!?! WOW!
kat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:23 AM   #14  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Oh WOW!! Hmmm...sounds like your a personal trainer. In that case, I can see your dilema. You may just want to up your calories on during those crazy work days. One thing though...I'd keep my calories as HIGH in PROTEIN as I could tolerate. I enjoy foods like Pumpkin Pie (add a little protein powder to it), muffins, etc...as well as some delishous take out food (Jamaican, Thai, Indian, Chinese, Ethiopian). With delishous foods like those, it makes it easy to get in 4-5K calories/day!

Seriously...if I were working as hard as you...I'd totally be a baskin robbins everyday in this hot summer heat!

Anyways...have fun gaining weight (so wish that were my problem)
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #15  

I have had that happen to me. Gee, these skinny comments drive me nuts. The only thing I can say is try to eat more often, perhaps five mini meals rather than three large ones. It helps. Also, try adding healthy fats to your meals like avocado in salads, also adding olive oil to a salad (two parts vinegar, one part olive oil) and some cheese. OR you could just go on a fast food craze one week will do it!
Its so easy to gain weight, its a good thing you realised you needed it so you don't loose anymore and end up with health issues.
usam is offline   Reply With Quote