Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 190/157/120-150

Height: 5'5"

Default Cold, cold, cold!

I know that when I was losing weight, if I got stressed or didn't get enough sleep, my weight would plateau for a couple days and then bounce down once the situation was resolved.

I weigh less than I ever have in my entire life (since 9th grade 170 seemed to be my setpoint) and I have been cold all winter. I've developed Reynauds syndrome, where your fingers turn white and are numb for an hour and rubbing won't wake them up. My hands ache constantly, but now that I think about it, it's that ache that you get when you're chilled to the bone. I went to my GP who sent me to a neurologist, and between both of them they did enough bloodwork to eliminate causes such as MS and RA.

But now that I think about it, I'm wondering if I even have Reynauds. Quite frankly, I'm just cold. Yesterday I made it a point to not let myself get cold. I used the electric blanket all night rather than turning it off around midnight. I wore more layers of clothes and every time I washed my hands I made sure I used warm water. And you know what, it was the first day in a long time where my fingers didn't get numb. It always happens when I get up from where I'm sitting or if I change clothes.

I haven't lost an ounce since October and I've had terrible troubles with just wanting to eat all the time. Yesterday I stayed on plan almost effortlessly just like I did last summer when I was losing weight. I'm wondering if, for me, being cold is just as detrimental to weight loss as being stressed or not getting enough sleep. Could that be possible?

And how do you featherweights stay warm in the winter? Jeans and a long-sleeve shirt have always been sufficient for me, but not this winter. The thermostat is set on 68 like it always is in the wintertime. I drink tea, but that doesn't always seem to help.

I know I've been a lot less active during the winter because I'm always huddled up on the couch with a blanket trying to keep warm. My steps on my pedometer (aside from exercise) have averaged 2000 per day where during the warmer part of the year they were 5000+ per day.

I just feel like being cold all the time has put my body in lock-down status and I'm just trying to survive. Have I lost my mind?
pageta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: varied over 130/122/110

Height: 5'2

well, i have no conclusive evidence...but being cold definitely makes me hungry. and i know the colder you are the more you will at least want to eat because...your body wants to raise its temps and food does that and fat will help keep you warm. in fact...ever notice how freaking FREEZING it is in restaurants ALL THE TIME? i think that's why.

but..yeah in combination with the fact that i have stress from school, and probably seasonal affective disorder..the winter kills me when it comes to food, energy, and mood overall.

keeping warm is a good idea. and maybe even getting in some sunlight helps. if it's a really sunny day, even if it's cold i take a short walk because it really helps warm me up. and i love when i get out of school and walk through the cold and find my car sitting in the sun, it's so warm inside!
inteventionn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 145/143/137

Height: 6 ft.

I can empathize. I have ALWAYS been cold in the winter for as long as I can remember. In high school, I would come home from sports practice after school and sit next to the heater while I did my homework. I'm the same way now.

Also, I have Reynaulds (it runs in my family) and it is THE WORST! Sometimes I'll be sitting in class and my fingers will just go numb, and there's nothing I can do to get feeling back! My boyfriend calls them ghost fingers because they are completely white. It's particularly annoying when my iPhone touch screen won't register my fingers because they're too cold

My only advice is bundle up! I got one of those long down jackets years ago from Jcrew, and it is a godsend in the winter. It might not be the chicest, but it is WARM!
letsgorunning is offline   Reply With Quote