Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 138/135/119

Height: 5'5

Default Ladies! - Kobes Steakhouse?!

Hi feathers!!

So we go to Kobe's steakhouse every birthday/anniversary in our family. My sister's 25th birthday is coming up and my mom just told me we are going to Kobes this saturday. Any of you who have been to Kobes or some sort of Japanese steakhouse know this is DANGER for a diet. What do I do?!

I plan on passing on the noodles and rice and just eating the soup, salad, chicken and veggies. The problem is, the dressings they cook all of this with! Ive estimated below:

Calories: 910 Fat: 22 Carbs: 120 Sugar: 92 Protein: 58

Does this seem like a reasonable estimate for the soup, salad, chicken, and veggies?! Please let me know what you think. I need to somehow plan this in my diet and account for it on paper!!!

Thanks!!!!!
Dianne042425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 129/108/108

Height: 5' 3 1/2"

Don't forget to account for all the sodium. Your weight will probably jump on the scale temporarily. If you see that happen, remember that it is just water weight from salt.

When I go to Japanese steakhouses I skip everything but the main course, and that includes skipping the soup and salad. (In my experience, the salad at such places is largely just iceberg lettuce and dressing, anyway.) I get brown rice and eat just a regular portion of that, too. I focus on the meat and veggies, choosing chicken and shrimp, lower-calorie, healthier options. And, since the sauce always comes on the side, I use that sparingly as well. That's not hard for me because I'm not really a sauce person. I like the natural flavor of foods. But I will occasionally dip my fork in the sauce and then spear the meat to get a little added flavor without the calories.

Does this place actually cook your meat in the sauce? As I say, where I have gone they never do that. They use some butter, of course, but that is all.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 10-13-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Petite Powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #3  

Yes Petite, they cook EVERYTHING in the sweet teryaki sauce. They cook the veggies, meat, rice, noodles, EVERYTHING in it! Thats what shoots the calories, sugar, and carbs up - the sauce. The salad isnt that bad because its just a small portion of lettuce and ginger dressing. The soup is miso soup so I dont think that is that bad. The chicken and veggies are obviously good but the sauce KILLS it. Its the best I can do without completley refusing everything!! ahhhhhhhh
Old 10-13-2010, 05:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 136/118/115

Height: 5'4

Chelsey, I would suggest either.... watching what you eat that day before dinner.. just eat a nice salad with a bunch of veggies for lunch, maybe a few egg whites for breakfast.. then you wont go over even with your dinner.. orrrrrr ASK the chef to prepare yours without sauce then you can use it to dip if needed on the side.. they usually will personalize just like they will cook your meat the way you want. Don't be afraid to ask! Most places will be more than happy to cook your food the way you like!
lilmissPope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:22 PM   #5  

OH thats so smart!! Thank you!! I will have my chicken and veggies cooked without the sauce!! SO smart! Do you think if I dip the veggies and chicken in the sauce that it will be that bad calorie wise? I still want some of the sauce but dipping wont be going overboard would it??
Old 10-13-2010, 06:26 PM   #6  

Of course! *smacks forehead* Always ask for food done your way. Good point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne042425 View Post
OH thats so smart!! Thank you!! I will have my chicken and veggies cooked without the sauce!! SO smart! Do you think if I dip the veggies and chicken in the sauce that it will be that bad calorie wise? I still want some of the sauce but dipping wont be going overboard would it??
It really is better to dip your fork in the sauce and use that to pick up your veggies and chicken. The calorie count is lower that way. That's a good way to eat salad, too (and I would ask them to put the dressing on the side for your salad).

Dipping isn't as good an option, but if you are careful with how often and how heavily you dip, it is certainly better than getting the food cooked in sauce.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 10-13-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #7  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Eat lightly the day before and the morning of and when you go just eat what you want, dude. Japanese steakhouses are hardly a daily affair!
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #8  

haha Krampus, I love your who gives a hoot attitude. I am doing really well on my diet (well doing good relative to how I normally diet), and I dont want this meal to set me off track. I think Ill take everyones advice and have them specially cook it. hah I can just see my fams reaction and thoughts now "Oh no, shes dieting again" lol
Old 10-14-2010, 11:17 AM   #9  

Good for you, Chelsey! Seriously, I agree so wholeheartedly: you have been doing so well, and it's so early in the process, that you really shouldn't tempt fate and indulge. It's easy to fall back into the wrong eating patterns if you go off track early on your path. I know this well. The water weight alone that a person can put on at a place like that can be discouraging and lead to falling off the wagon, so eating sensibly is super smart. Your plan of action makes perfect sense. You are going to do it this time, I just know it!

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 10-14-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:44 AM   #10  

Awwwwwwww thanks so much petite for those encouraging words!! That is so kind of you! I really am determined and hope I do it this time. I cant imagine how good it will feel to "get it over with" and finally be happy with my body/weight and not have to worry about every single calorie, macronutrient, etc. I plan on eating healthy the rest of my life but once I am in maintenance, I will allow myself to actually go out and drink and eat out once a week! Oh I cant wait!
Old 10-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #11  

I was just thinking that, while one might not go out to a Japanese steakhouse every day, most people face a lot of challenges like this on a regular basis. Your friends want to go to a bar and unwind after work, your coworkers or family or friends are celebrating something at a restaurant or just at home with party foods—food is so often the center of celebrations, isn't it?—your kids want to go out for ice cream, and on and on.... These really aren't isolated events, so if you can't learn how to deal with the food responsibly you will never reach your goals for weight loss.

ETA because I just saw your latest post, Chelsey: I totally agree with indulging from time to time—even once a week—at maintenance. I am doing this and it is working, though I am still mindful of what I eat at those times.

Last edited by Petite Powerhouse; 10-14-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:15 PM   #12  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianne042425 View Post
haha Krampus, I love your who gives a hoot attitude. I am doing really well on my diet (well doing good relative to how I normally diet), and I dont want this meal to set me off track. I think Ill take everyones advice and have them specially cook it. hah I can just see my fams reaction and thoughts now "Oh no, shes dieting again" lol
And your decision totally goes with what I said - "eat what you want" in this case, and you want to have your food prepared minus truckloads of butter and sauce.

I'd never try to sabotage someone's hard work or anything. I just hate seeing people stress out for days and weeks dreading a social meal! What's the point of living if you're going to feel anxiety every time you have to eat, you know?
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:46 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by krampus View Post
And your decision totally goes with what I said - "eat what you want" in this case, and you want to have your food prepared minus truckloads of butter and sauce.

I'd never try to sabotage someone's hard work or anything. I just hate seeing people stress out for days and weeks dreading a social meal! What's the point of living if you're going to feel anxiety every time you have to eat, you know?
I agree 100% with what you are saying. I didnt think you were trying to sabatoge my work! lol Sorry if I came off that way. I dont think any "diet" is sustainable if you are miserable doing it. So you are right; you need to live and enjoy social meals!
Old 10-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 136/118/115

Height: 5'4

YAY Chelsey! You are doing so great, I think you will be SOO happy and impressed with yourself if you choose to have your meal prepared without sauce. And as for dipping I 100% agree with petite, dip your fork that way you get the taste but it isn't drenched in it!!! Also, try not to worry what everyone around you thinks! I am sure people will say something and even try to pressure you to do otherwise but just ignore others comments when it comes to your eating!

I wish I was coming with you!!!
lilmissPope is offline   Reply With Quote