Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 152/152/140

Height: 5'7"

Unhappy Any ways to get back on track after huge setback?

Hi everyone, im new to 3FC haven't ever posted on here before. I read your posts quite often to give me some support on trying to lose weight. Here's my stats:

I'm 5'7" and weigh 11 stone. Thats a BMI of 24.12 which is in the "normal" area, but I've gained a stone in the past year and half and would love to lose it.

I recently lost a grandparent who i was very close to. For two weeks leading up to the funeral i binged on chocolate and crisps and anything I shouldn't be eating. Beofre this i'd managed to lose 4lb, and put it back on again sue to comfort eating.

I'm now at a loss as to where to start again. I'm finding it difficult to get back into a routine of healthy eating and more exercise. If anyone has any tips that could help me I'd apprecite it!
jellybaby247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #2  
Grandma on the Go!

S/C/G: 143/127/125

Height: 5'4"

jellybaby 247 - Welcome to a great support group.

Everyone has to find a way of eating and exercise that works for them.
Read as much as you can about nutrition and fitness.

I eat alot of fruits and vegetables and lean meat.
Having fiber and protein with every meal helps me.
Some people eat only 3 times a day. I eat about
5-6 times a day. I eat a bowl of oatmeal everyday.

Exercise.
Exercise.
Exercise.

Don't give up.
Don't give up.
Don't give up.

Start your journey and check in with us often.

You can do it and it will get easier over time.

Last edited by danni; 03-25-2010 at 12:36 PM.
danni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 02:12 PM   #3  
Gemma :)

S/C/G: 143.6/115.8/110

Height: 5"2

Hi jellybaby247
Welcome to 3FC!
I had a loss recently to and I'm another one who comfort eats! It's a coping mechanism really. But you stopped now and that's great you want to make it right again! You could've gained a **** of a lot more and I really am impressed that you're trying to go back to a healthier lifestyle . Seriously if it's support you're looking for this forum is the best I've only been on here about a month and it has helped me change so much and in so many ways, the girls (and guys?) on here have kept me going! Like Danni said all people have there own ways of doing it and you have just got to trial and error until you do find a way you enjoy or at least can do . I reccomend healthy eating and portion control rather than obsessive calorie counting, you know what's healthy and what's not so work with it. Some counting is good though to make sure you're not having too much or too little but never let your life revolve around it. I'm speaking from all of the mistakes I've made and I'd never want to go back to that way of life again. Another thing is you don't want exercise to become a chore so if you miss a workout don't feel bad about it, just get back on track the next day. Find an exercise you LIKE. I like workout videos and the elliptical more than going to the gym. I just prefer doing my exercise in privacy but that's my preference. I will go to the gym with friends though because I find they bring out my competitive streak :P. This is a bit of a ramble now but I hope you soon work out a way of doing things you enjoy and keep us updated! Have a great day!
xgemziex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

out of lurkdom..

Just start by consciously chosing the right foods at your very next meal...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 167/148.2/144

Height: 5'8"

Hi Jellybaby!

I've been working on getting my weight down for the last few months - this last week was not pretty (too many meals out and no exercise), but I'm getting back on the wagon right now.

What's done is done. Sounds like you know what you need to do if you lost those four lbs before - you can do it again! We're all here for you!

Silverstar33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/152/140

Height: 5'7"

I know 4lbs isnt very much compared to the amazing amount everyone else seems to have lost on here, but it was my own personal little achievement.

I was following weight watchers casually, allowing myself treats here and there. I know i could have lost more but it was a steady thing. Its now getting back into the frame of mind of eating properly and exercising more. At the time of doing my weight watchers, i could happily pass up the chocolates being passed around the office but now i'm just gorging!

Does anyone have any low cal ideas that could satisfy cravings until i properly get back on track?

And a big thanks for making me feel so welcome guys
jellybaby247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:26 AM   #7  
Gemma :)

S/C/G: 143.6/115.8/110

Height: 5"2

Oh 4 lbs still ia a great achievement yes . Low calorie snacks? Erm well Ifind popcorn is great, low calorie hard boiled sweets to suck on, veggies, fruits, snack a jacks, ryvitas (: The list goes on, what type of foods is it you enjoy?
xgemziex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:52 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 167/148.2/144

Height: 5'8"

Yes, don't down play four lbs! That's great!

As far as snacks go, I try to stick to having either a protein, fiber, or veggie type snack every 2-3 hours. Anything from cottage cheese, hard boiled egg whites (with a little garlic/lemon seasoning), light string cheese, carrots, red bell pepper, broccoli, 0% Greek yogurt, half a cup of Fiber One cereal with half a cup skim milk, 100 calorie microwave popcorn pack, apples with a wedge of laughing cow cheese.

I'm not sure if these are available in the UK, but the chocolatey flavor Vitatops are great substiute for baked goodies, and peanut butter flavored Gnu bars will keep you full for a long time. I'm going to start to add the strawberry Special K protein shakes to the rotation, a good amount of protein and not too shabby on the fiber.
Silverstar33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 145/ticker/125

Height: 5' 2"

I've been trying to lose four pounds for a year and only just started seeing some movement of the needle a half pound at a time, so to me, your loss is very impressive.

As for low-cal snacks, I make smoothies for dessert every night now. Half a frozen banana, a handful of another fruit (blackberries, strawberries, mangoes, whatever you're feeling) soy milk and some spinach if you want an extra serving of veggies in there. 200 sweet, creamy calories and I'm set for the night. I also make homemade pudding sometimes with a cup of light soy milk (I'm lactose intolerant, but you could use skim if you're not), a tablespoon each of cornstarch, sugar, and cocoa. Stir stir stir in a pot over medium heat until thick, refrigerate, and with some fat-free whipped topping you have a wonderful chocolaty indulgence. You could even make triple that amount and fill a graham cracker crust for a "silk pie"

And, of course, you have the ever-popular air-popped popcorn with a sprinkling of a sweet seasoning (check out the chocolate marshmallow, caramel or apple flavors from these guys: http://www.kernelseasons.com/shop_seasons.php), frozen grapes, Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches or sugar-free Fudgesicles.
tkm256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #10  
Doughnut

S/C/G: 161.4/158.6/130

Height: 5'5.5"

Hi Jellybaby. I have nothing much to add to the others but had to say that if you weigh 152 you no longer weigh 11 stone - you're 10st 12 and that's great psychologically!
Doughnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Hiya jellybaby.
It sounds to me like you started eating when you started grieving. I'm so sorry for your loss and want to let you know you will get a lot of support here along your journey. It takes time for the pain of loss to be replaced by the glow of fond memories.

When I am feeling down, even though it isn't nearly like the loss you've had, it helps me to just walk around the block. That isn't very much, but every little thing helps. And I know ahead of time it will only take a few minutes, so it's not like I have to make a major decision or a complicated plan. I just throw on my jacket and go. There are always dogs in the yards, or deer, or the wind is blowing or the sky is pretty. something to help me get a few minutes' relief. I often find that I wasn't really hungry, just needed a change of scenery.

I first learned to do this when I quit smoking a little over a year and 1/2 ago. Sometimes it just takes one thing to break a cycle, a single distraction and if you do it enough times, it becomes a new and healthy habit. If you can get to that point, the rest will be a little easier. Don't beat yourself up, and don't try to change everythng at once. Make small goals you can achieve easily. Maybe just no crisps for a week. Maybe a glass of water before each meal. Just some tiny thing you can do. You will be successful and that will build up your confidence again and you can set another tiny goal, maybe a little bigger, and so on.

Good luck and hugs!

Barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote