Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:30 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/156/133

Height: 5'7

Talking Am I really a Featherweight??

Hey everyone! Someone recommended this forum to me since I have about 20-25 lbs to lose, but it doesn't feel like a "featherweight" size challenge to me

Is there anyone else out there who is about the same height/weight as me with the same goals? I always find it easier to lose weight when I have a buddy to do it with and share tips and tricks with.

Thanks Everyone, I look forward to making some buddies
CoCoCouture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Hey, we are close in stats and goals.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 182/132/135

Height: 5'7"

You probably got the featherweight suggestion because you are in the "normal weight" range for your BMI given your height. In other words, while you have room inside the "normal" or "healthy" weight range to drop twenty or twenty-five pounds, you are not considered overweight medically speaking. For the people on here who have 50+ pounds to lose, that may make you seem like a featherweight.

Anyway, we are close to the same height, and it looks like your goal is about the same that mine was...or I guess is...since maintenance is an ongoing thing. Welcome to 3FC!
Schumeany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #4  

Thighs Be Gone - Yay! We are pretty close, and if your name is any indication, you carry weight in the same place as me...the thighs! I look like I have gymnast legs still, but now they are not toned

What type of program do you follow??
Old 01-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #5  

Coco,

I have designed my own program. I stay under 1500 calories a day and eat mostly whole foods. I run every morning three miles--alternating intervals with straight jogging on the other mornings. I also started the 30DS yesterday. What are you doing?
Old 01-08-2009, 03:18 PM   #6  

I do about 1200 calories a day, and also try to stay away from starches. I don't avoid carbs all together, but I do limit myself to whole wheat, unless I am eating sushi. I was running/jogging about 2 miles or so a day, but I injured my back recently and I am having a hard time getting back into exercising.

Pardon my ignorance, but what What is 30DS?
Old 01-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #7  

Schumeany - Thanks for the explination and for the encouragement! It does make me feel better to see someone with similar stats to mine that has achieved their goal! I have gotten down to 125 at this height, but not in a healthy way, and of course put it right back on...so this time I am trying to do it the right way!

I am sure you get this a lot, but what plan did you follow/how did you do it?
Old 01-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Hi, love your user name.

We also have a similar height and goal. I was where you are several months ago. I know what you mean about featherweight. It took a while for me to feel like that was me! If you're interested in how I've done it / am doing it, click the link in my sig - the last or close to last post on that thread is me answering that question to someone.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I'm pretty close, too. My stats are a little off, but I'm only going to change them on Mondays. Right now I'm 153 at 5'8".

Good luck to you. Come join us on our weekly chats!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #10  

Hi Coco,

I used calorie counting, averaging about 1500 a day. I also used calorie cycling -- which, if you don't know, means I had "high days" of around 1800 calories and "low days" of around 1300, and "medium days" at 1500, but over a week they averaged to my target level of 1500. There is research that calorie cycling keeps your metabolism "tricked" from realizing that you are getting a consistently lower level of calories...thus keeping it from getting more "efficient" and making weight loss harder. Oh, and I liked cycling for fitting in "special occasion" meals on days I had more calories to spend. I also changed to a largely "whole foods" diet, not super strict about it or anything just more mindful of my food choices. Oh, and I increased my protein intake quite a bit and decreased my carbs a bit as well.

On the exercise front, I ride/rode my exercise bike for 45 mintues 5-6 days a week. I do 30 minutes of High Intensity Interval Training cardio and 15 minutes of Steady State cardio. I also do/did about 30-40 minutes of strength training 3x a week with a mix of "body weight" exercises such as crunches, leg lifts, push-ups, etc. and resistance training with resistance bands that have handles and a door attachment for things like chess press, bicep curls, triceps, delts, etc.

Oh, I also lost down to 125 a few years ago, and I maintained it for 4 years before I got pregnant with our first child...but I also did it in a not very healthy way...this time I wanted to do it much, much better.

On this regime I averaged about 2 lbs. a week most of the way down, and I have been in maintenance for around a month...I'm still a newbie at it.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #11  

Coco,

The 30DS is 30 Day Shred. It is a 20-minute combination cardio/strength training designed by the trainer @ The Biggest Loser. Some people swear by it. I will reserve my judgment until I finish my 30 days. Although it is just 20 minutes, it does give you a good workout if you are using it in conjunction with other activity. If you have ON DEMAND, it is free on there.

Like Schumeany above me, I mostly calorie cycle as well. I try to watch for my body cues. There are days I just want to eat more. There are other days I don't want food as much. I am careful on tracking my calories and know I hover at 1500. Like Schumeany too, I eat mostly whole foods but I have some crutches. I like using the cooking sprays (0 calorie varieties) and I also like using Fat-Free Miracle Whip and the Starbucks Sugar Free syrup in my coffee. I eat no red meat. I eat lots of fish and seafood--probably three nights a week.

I am glad you are here. Shumeany and Julie have both been very helpful to me so I am glad they have this thread too. PM anytime.

ETA: Yes, I do have my screenname for a reason. ARRgghh! My thighs are 22.25! Thank heavens for clothes that hide them for now. What will I do for swimsuit season???

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 01-08-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:13 PM   #12  

Thanks Thighs Be Gone!

Coco, if you have any other questions about anything, etc. feel free to PM me as well
Old 01-09-2009, 12:24 PM   #13  
Counter-Hipster

S/C/G: 184/ticker/140

You would definitely fit into our "club", in my opinion. I'm 5'7" and my SW/CW are about the same, though my goal isn't as low as yours (I would love to be 130, but I don't think it would fit my body type. I haven't been 130 since probably high school).

I think the term Featherweights would more refer to where you're at BMI-wise than how much you have to lose. You're at the top of our normal BMI range for our height, maybe scraping the edge of overweight. At 140-145 you'd be squarely within normal range.

Don't worry, it's not like we'd kick you out anyway.
dominodreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:31 PM   #14  
Counter-Hipster

S/C/G: 184/ticker/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
ETA: Yes, I do have my screenname for a reason. ARRgghh! My thighs are 22.25! Thank heavens for clothes that hide them for now. What will I do for swimsuit season???
Re: Swimsuit season, let me tell you how I overcame my "fear" of my thunder thighs. I went to Greece.

I'll wait for you to stop laughing... lol

But seriously. I think European/Mediterranean women have much less of a complex about weight than we silly Americans. Mostly because they have a very different idea of attractive women. I don't know much about other countries in Europe, but you go to a beach in Greece and you'll see women of ALL shapes and sizes, just baring it all (so to speak - I didn't go to any nude beaches, but I'm sure they're the same way there). And believe me, standing on a beach next to a woman twice your size in a bikini makes you forget about your thunder thighs.

Disclaimer: I really don't mean this to be offensive to larger women at all, and please forgive me if it came across that way. I'm saying this to point out that self consciousness is all a matter of perspective. I don't mean to imply that larger women have ANYTHING to be ashamed of. It's just really awesome to go to a beach and be reminded that it's okay to enjoy being in your own skin, however big or misshapen you might think it is.
dominodreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominodreams View Post
Re: Swimsuit season, let me tell you how I overcame my "fear" of my thunder thighs. I went to Greece.

I'll wait for you to stop laughing... lol

But seriously. I think European/Mediterranean women have much less of a complex about weight than we silly Americans. Mostly because they have a very different idea of attractive women. I don't know much about other countries in Europe, but you go to a beach in Greece and you'll see women of ALL shapes and sizes, just baring it all (so to speak - I didn't go to any nude beaches, but I'm sure they're the same way there). And believe me, standing on a beach next to a woman twice your size in a bikini makes you forget about your thunder thighs.[/I]
I want to have this experience some time! To visit Europe, including the beaches, and see all the differences. It fascinates me, but I'm sure the ideas I get from media can't compare to reality.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote