Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #1  

Default Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink

X

Last edited by allifiend; 07-01-2014 at 09:25 AM.
allifiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:24 PM   #2  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I love the book. You are correct. I knew much of this already. But, it is an excellent reminder to be mindful about everything that goes into my mouth. I also like the concept, that our bodies can be fooled. By eating just a few hundred less calories each day, our bodies are not aware that we are reducing our food consumption. No starvation reaction. This makes some sense to me.

Incorporating small changes in my eating habits really is what this journey is all about. If I can re-train myself to eat the correct amount of food, I will be able to maintain this loss. Probably the biggest revelation to me through this process is how I got "fat" over 8 years. An extra 100 calories a day is all it took to put on those 80 lbs. I WASN'T eating massive quantities of food. But a 50 year-old doesn't burn as many calories as a 20 year-old does. I never adjusted my calorie intake as my lifestyle changed. DUH! Sometimes you CAN teach an old dog new tricks

This book is a more "practical" approach - skimming the surface of why we eat what we eat. Beck is a more in-depth approach, a cognitive therapy approach, with a structured plan.

Last edited by CountingDown; 03-09-2008 at 05:27 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Thumbs up Beck Diet Solution

This is a good book but you have to have time to do a great number of written exercises. I started out following the plan but fell by the wayside as I had to devote more and more time to it.

It is designed to reshape your eating behaviours through cognitive therapy. It is very useful in that it gives you a number of tools that make you pause before you binge/eat mindlessly.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:30 AM   #4  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

I absolutely LOVE Mindless Eating, though I used it more as an interesting reference/point of view than to actually make changes in my life. I just picked up the Beck Solution on Saturday at the library, and plan to read it this week. I'll let you know in a few days what I think!
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #5  
Tired of cold and rain...

S/C/G: 150/145/130

Height: 5'6"

Ok, I'll be going to the library to check out these books. Thanks for the tips!
Jill Tha Thrill is offline   Reply With Quote