Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:26 AM   #1  
Failure Is Not An Option

S/C/G: 250/145/138

Height: 5ft6

Default How Do You Stay Motivated?

i have found that i am one of those people who gains and loses weight rather rapidly. i can easily put on 5 lbs every other week if i let myself go, but if i'm dieting, it also comes off rather quickly as long as i'm staying on plan.

Right now i have hit the weight that i always seem to hit before i give in and go back to my bad eating. Maybe it's knowing that i'm back in the normal bmi range ( even if it's at the far end of the spectrum ), that...well...i don't exactly know why i just stop there, to be honest. This is the first time in 3 years that i'm there and still focused on my goal. Jeans are fitting better, cheeks aren't as filled out...and yet i feel this tiny urge to say " oh, it's ok to have that doughnut now ", even though i know better. To clarify, i WANT to deviate from plan, but i'm not even though the pull is strong to do so.

So, what keeps you motivated to continue and stick to plan? Could really use some ideas or inspiration please.
thinnythighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:21 AM   #2  

Default A picture tells the story

For me too stay motivated is too take a picture of myself at my all time highest weight. I have the photo put on my T-Shirt so when I go walking it's on, I also keep my photo on my desk at work, on my refrig everywhere. I have even taken a picture of a person who is 50+ lbs more than me and put my face on the photo. I work in a hospital and know that the gaining and losing of weight is terrible on your heart in the long run.
Silverfox59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:16 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Thinny -- thanks for asking that question, I am in that place right now, actually I'm 5 lbs up from my comfort zone... I'm looking forward to othe answers... I can't even motivate myself with nice clothing lately...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

That is such a hard question. Obviously I'm not motivated enough because I've had 10 pounds to lose for a year now (I've been as close as 3 pounds to go and as far as 17 to go). Right now, the motivation is just seeing the scale each morning and hoping that it stays at 143 or below. I also have this skirt in my closet that will look SO much better if I lose 3-4 or more pounds (and I need to wear it in 2 weeks! EGADS!).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:57 PM   #5  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

What works for me is to set a long-term goal of how long I am going to stick to plan. Sometimes I just randomly pick a number of months, sometimes it is an upcoming event. For example, right now, my goal is to stay on plan until I go home for the holidays. I'm not going to worry about what the scale says, my goal is to just follow my diet and exercise program (the exercise part is easy, it's the diet I struggle with) until then, no matter what happens with my weight. I tell myself that at the end of that time period, I'll assess my progress and decide if I want to continue what I am doing or change something. And, in this case, I'll also have a few days off-plan while I am visiting the folks. Having that end date in sight really helps me stay on plan in the interim.

I work out with a personal trainer three times a week and I think that also really helps me stay motivated. I'm not sure I can explain it, but the training makes me want to improve myself, be thinner, tone more. I couldn't really put my finger on what it is about the training that I find so motivating. My trainer doesn't tell me I need to work harder or be thinner; if anything, he's tells me the opposite. But I definitely feel like it is a really important factor in my staying on plan. If you are having trouble getting to goal, I would definitely recommend personal or small group training.

I find exercise in general to be very motivating. If I am having an off-plan day, I can sometimes get things back under control just by working out. If I know I have to be off-plan for lunch, I will sometimes purposely hold of exercising until after lunch because I know the workout will help me get back on plan for the day. If I workout before lunch then eat off plan for lunch, I'm likely to eat off plan for the entire rest of the day.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:03 AM   #6  
focus creates results

S/C/G: 167/125/110

Height: 5'0"

What works for me really is looking at it as a one day at a time thing. I have a long term goal of general health and well being but to keep working out and eating right to attain that long term goal I don't use anything other than today.

I'll eat right today because I may get busy and not get in my exercise. (I exercise in the evening). IF I'm feeling tired, I'll say to myself, Well get on the treadmill and only walk but exercise because, what if you can't tomorrow.

That sounds silly but it really works for me. Plus once I do exercise....I feel great so that's motivation enough.
Lekhika is offline   Reply With Quote