Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:52 AM   #31  

Height: 5'2"

i'm at work right now..my summer internship just started this past tuesday. i've been pretty good with working out while being 12 hours jet lagged. i used the elliptical this morning for 20 minutes, and once work is over..i'm heading to the gym for a jog or maybethe cross trainer for 30 minutes. after that, some weight training. i am determined to get this weight off! for some reason, the summer gets me more motivated to workout? heh
kateconfessional is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:19 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

While I'd rather have a day off alone at home and do whatever I want and eat whenever I want ... working really does force you to slot these things in. It's like a farmework for your life. kateconfessional ... I'm sure you'll be just fine now.

I was gonna say somethin else ... oh Catstongue ... I'm working at reviving the chapter discussion threads for Ann Fletcher's Thin for Life. Maybe you'll find some comfort and insight there too.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:28 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 140/137/125

Height: 5'2.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whittlin View Post
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Jen, which link are you using? The link I posted last night above has worked fine for me today from several computers. If you still can't get it, just search yourself for Time magazine and choose "TIME Magazine - U.S. Edition".
Right after I posted that I tried agan and it worked go figure.
canadian mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #34  

Height: 5'6

GreatChoice: Mexican food is ALWAYS my weakness. I have a hard time ordering anything healthy there (and always end up having a regular Coke with the meal!).

I just got back from walking. My new walking buddy bailed on me today...maybe time for a new plan. I did manage to keep up with two elderly men in front of me . They were actually going pretty darn fast!!! I ended up doing 2.6 miles in 40 minutes (but it was a pretty hilly track). Wish some of you guys were local! My ticker has moved again though (in the right direction this time). The slimfast plan is working so far...so good! If I can just get it down to 146, I will really be motivated to keep going. That is the weight that I usually give up at and start gaining back up...not this time!
michelinwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:25 AM   #35  
April

S/C/G: 165/ticker/130

Height: 5'6"

UGHHHHHH TOM!!! You are the bane of my existence!!

At least I hope that's why the scale's stuck at 149 for the last two days. I started off so well, I can't believe that one hefty mexican food meal 4 days ago could throw me off so much!! I've been running almost every day and doing pilates...I simply MUST see a change!!! GRRR!!!
midearthseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:23 AM   #36  
Token Rooster? ;)

S/C/G: 185/138/~135 to maintain

Height: 5' 6"

Morning all,

I've been waking up early this week and have been able to squeeze part/all of my exercises in the morning (as opposed to after work), I definitely feel better during the workday. It also helps me stay on-plan too, since I don't want all that hard morning work to go to waste -- however, I'm not sure if I can get up early enough EVERY morning to do this (usually I roll out of bed barely in time to put myself together to go to work )

Heading to the mall after work today, so looking forward to better-fitting clothes! There's also a seafood restaurant there that I absolutely LOVE, and there are lots of healthy options available. The only downside is probably the drive (about half an hour, though I expect longer given rush hour in L.A. :O )
AquaWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 12:05 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
Then there's the old how light is light enough struggle. Hovering under 130 has been my goal for months. 125 or so? I do slosh about 3 or 4 lbs easily. Maybe 122 would be safer. That'd be 40 lbs lost which sounds good
That is exactly why I changed my initial goal of 135 to 133--just to give myself 2 pounds leeway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whittlin View Post
At this rate, at least I know I can say to myself that in 2007 I will be at goal. Just hope it's not all the way to Christmas!
I am hoping the same--although I'm hoping for the end of Summer--maybe the first of October at the latest. LETS GO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelingwoman View Post
Mexican food is ALWAYS my weakness. I have a hard time ordering anything healthy there (and always end up having a regular Coke with the meal!).
Me, too--but I can't stay away from those margaritas!!

I was on track all day yesterday and my scale did not budge. Usually I see fluctuations daily but it is not happening this time. I think my body was really used to seeing 141 and my mind didn't worry when it fluctuated to 142, so then my body got used to 142 and my mind didn't worry when it fluctuated to 143. So here I sit at 143.5 when just a few weeks ago I was at least 2-3 pounds lighter. It's gonna be work now!!!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #38  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Susan - I just have no idea what my final goal weight will be. I THINK somewhere between 120 and 130. Probably around 125 ish. I think/hope, I will know it when I get there.

I am finding myself really looking forward to july 4th when I officially move to maintenance for 3 months. Not that I am losing very fast right now, certainly not fast enough to hurt marathon training, but then at least I can stop feeling badly about it!

Then I think in october I will hook up with a personal trainer and focus on weights and building some muscle in the cold dark rainy season. Try to do that final push to goal then.

Whittlin/Catstongue - 2 lbs/month seems like a really good rate of loss for me at this point. I have been hovering right around there too. Pretty soon I think I might have to start thinking in terms of 1 lbs/month just to keep my spirits up!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:59 PM   #39  
Token Rooster? ;)

Allison Looks like you're right about the water retention thing, the 3 pounds fell off now (and I drank lots of water over the last two days). For a moment I was worried about having to do a 10k calorie deficit (which I'll still work on, at a much steadier pace -- eyeing that final 10 goal by end of '07).

And speaking of final goal, 135 is an arbitrary figure for me too -- but it will be 50 pounds from my highest weight and put me smack in the middle of "normal BMI" range (21). But as I get closer to/reach goal, I expect to shift to more strengthening/flexibility exercises to build muscles, which may or may not result in some weight gain - and that's OK too.

EDIT: Got a humorous compliment from the boss today -- he said "You got skinny!" then, realizing the potential for a faux pas, added, "you were normal-looking before, but you got skinnier!" followed by the sharing of what I'm doing, etc. But it was a good (and internally) funny moment, and proud when he's amazed at my ~35 pound drop over the past year.

Last edited by AquaWarlock; 06-06-2007 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:56 PM   #40  

Good evening! I'm home from work. One more shift and then a day off ... ah! I can hardly wait.
I don't really have anything to say. I'm just not tired yet. I've been starving all afternoon so I should go to bed before I eat something unwise.

Well, Allison, I guess we'll have to work it then. I can almost smell 125 lbs and it's driving me nuts!
Old 06-07-2007, 07:49 AM   #41  

Height: 5'6

SusanB: Just hang in there. It'll happen!

p.s. I'm wearing some junky "surfer style" shorts that snap at the waist...they have drove me nuts for years because every time I bend forward the top snap comes undone....I never wear them for this reason. I have been bending forward all day and they are staying snapped! I checked my waist the other day and it is 34" now (it was 36")...maybe the exercise is paying off a little more than I thought! I think I will skip the coffee today again and go with tea. I read something that says coffee inhibits fat loss because it raises your insulin levels and "locks" in the fat temporarily. Have any of you heard similar things and do you believe it? (Coffee: I love you and can't give you up right now! )

Last edited by michelinwoman; 06-07-2007 at 07:54 AM.
michelinwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:54 AM   #42  
Token Rooster? ;)

MichelinWoman As long as you drink it in moderation, I don't think coffee has a negative impact on weight loss. In fact, many think the antioxidants & phytochemicals in coffee has a positive effect on regulating insulin & helping to prevent diabetes and some forms of cancers. (reference on Slate.com). Now, like any other thing, this isn't a reason to go on a coffee diet or what-not (though I might already be on it by default ), but I do feel less guilty about 2-3 cups a day

My right tricep has been mildly sore for the past day or so, I hope I didn't overwork/stretch it (I try to squeeze in a little upper body toning every day, esp. when watching TV) Maybe I'll take a break from that today.

Yesterday I had a wonderful dinner @ a seafood restaurant and managed to make relatively healthful choices so felt pretty good about that: 2 oyster shooters, 1 slice of sourdough from the bread basket with butter, seared-rare ahi tuna steak with a papaya-salsa relish with sauteed veggies and cheesy mashed potatoes (which I had only half off). Guesstimating 800-900 calories, which I had planned for by eating lighter lunches & snacks and with extra exercises.

Hopefully today will go as well! I already know what's cooking for dinner and can't wait!
Old 06-07-2007, 10:27 AM   #43  
Ilene the Bean

Warlock-- So, what is cooking for dinner? Enquiry minds want to know Yesterday's supper out sounds really good ... my kind of meal... on the compliment

Michelin -- Way to go go on the snaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinel
I was on track all day yesterday and my scale did not budge. Usually I see fluctuations daily but it is not happening this time. I think my body was really used to seeing 141 and my mind didn't worry when it fluctuated to 142, so then my body got used to 142 and my mind didn't worry when it fluctuated to 143. So here I sit at 143.5 when just a few weeks ago I was at least 2-3 pounds lighter. It's gonna be work now!!!
THAT is the story of my life for the last 2 years, ugh, I'm so sick of it... It's like my body refuses to lose those last 10#....

I also agree, 2# per month, for is a very good rate of loss... I just wish I would be persistent with it... Not lose 2#/month, gain 2#/month, I AM so sick of doing that... I was doing well last week I was at 146 then after a weekend of "cwap" I weighed in only this morning, being too chicken to get on the scale Mon to Wednesday, and now I'm 148 ... My own fault no one to blame but myself... I have to be more persistant ....

Just back from a 9k walk/jog/run .... I'm a took me 1h11m .... but I did burn approximately 440 calories later I am going for a bike ride...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:47 AM   #44  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I swear Ilene, my favorite number on my Garmin is the calories burned. I dont wear my HRM so it is just weight based, but the GPS takes elevation into account and I have been running hills a lot. I tell you Saturday when I did my long run and I got home I looked at that number and almost fainted...a whole days worth of food. 1896 calories burned.

And my brain still doesnt process metric at first pass, I saw 1:11 9 MILES and went who does she think she is kidding!
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 10:51 AM   #45  

Morning!

Warlock ... I love the idea of sneaking a little resistance exercise in in the evenings. It'd at least make TV useful for health But ... don't do your triceps each day, man. Let those microscopic tears heal!
You could create a TV split for us!