Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 04-17-2007, 09:11 AM   #1  

Default Breakfast Suggestions

Looking for some high fiber/low sugar breakfast ideas.

Caveats:
1. I am burned out (completely!) on oatmeal
2. I am taking a break from frozen waffles

I do have time to make omlettes, burritos, healthy pancakes, etc.

Do we have a Sticky here for recipes? Ilene, do you want to think about starting one?

Thanks for sharing your ideas and have a good week. Maybe it will eventually be sunny here (Mass.) again.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:37 PM   #2  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

What about a high fiber/low sugar cereal like Kashi, Fiber One, etc.? My favorites are High Fiber Cereal and Flax Plus, both available from Trader Joe's. Or Shredded Wheat...6g of fiber and 0g of sugar.

Another thought would be non-traditional breakfast foods. How about pinto beans (or whatever kind of beans you like--black beans are supposed to be especially good for you), rice, and salsa. Or beans scrambled into eggs (or egg beaters/whites) with salsa on top.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:11 PM   #3  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Was that a do or dont have time for omelettes? Because my omelet is usually ready before my oatmeal

Chop lots of veggies...freeze in ziplocs. Also freeze lowfat ham or whatever. I keep a bag each of onions, mushrooms, ham, celery in my freezer. Add beans and or fresh spinach for extra oomph. I rough chop the spinach and add it with the cheese to just barely wilt it.

Heat pan with PAM, sautee frozen veggies til done. Remove from pan. Turn heat down to med. Add eggbeaters (or whatever) put lid on and cook until just set, add veggies and cheese, fold (no need to flip), turn off heat, put lid back on for another minute while cheese melts. Top with salsa Serve with high fiber toast like ezekiel.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:02 PM   #4  
Bikini Dreader

S/C/G: 141/120/120

Height: 5'3''

I usually have some fruit with a bit of fat free plain yogurt and some high fibre cereal sprinkled on top. It's pretty much a standard for me.
Bikini Dreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

If you're in a hurry: whole wheat tortilla, spread it with 1 T peanut butter, put in microwave for 10 seconds, once out of the microwave, sprinkle 1/4 cup Fiber One cereal on it and then wrap it all around a banana. Yummy!

I also like egg whites cooked with Morning Star Farms crumbles and wrapped in a ww tortilla with a little bit of cheese and some salsa
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:15 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I can certainly stickie a recipe thread
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:17 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

If you have time for an omelette you'll have time for this protein pancake...

1/3c oatmeal
1/3c cottage cheese
1/3c eggwhite
Splenda and vanilla to taste
Blend till smooth and cook like a pancake...Makes one large or 2 smaller ones ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:00 PM   #8  

These all sound great. Variety in my life at last! I am having a terrible time on Core this week--not eating enough at breakfast and lunch, then starving, irritable and making (shall we say) bad choices by end of day. I just ate 3 brownies and a handful of cashews. Of course, I feel disgusting (remorse and physically just yuck).

Tomorrow--9 a.m. Aerobics class, then some strength

And a better breakfast!

Have a good night.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

Most days of the week I eat a WW english muffin with natural peanut butter and 1/2 banana slices. It is really satisfying to me and keeps me full till lunch. I'm sort of a creature of habit and I don't need a lot of variety!
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote