Old 12-17-2011, 09:06 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

I learn so much reading your post Rosebud thank you!
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #32  

Height: 5'11"

You lighten up my day, rosebud.

Certainly, controlling your emotion can make you lose weight because you are learning to control yourself.

How many times do you think that we eat because of the sake of living and not for pleasure?

That is why we need to heal our emotions first then we can proceed with the physical stuff.
wanzulfikri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #33  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Thanks, ladies ....

Quote:
How many times do you think that we eat because of the sake of living and not for pleasure?

Probably more than we realize, I think. Might as well work on both the emotional stuff & physical as we go along -- well, that's how I have been doing it anyways. It just worked out that way.

Life stressors will always be with us, so we have to continually find ways to handle them without using food. They keep coming up though, and from many different sources. I've been making up a list of helpful Mantras lately (lots of good ones on this site); I'll use whatever tools work ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #34  
Rosebud

A Cherokee Legend ... posted by Astrophe

An old Cherokee is teaching his grandson about life. "A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy.

"It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves. One is evil -- he is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego."

He continued, "The other is good -- he is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. The same fight is going on inside you -- and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his Grandfather, "Which wolf will win?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

--------------------

Love this post by Astrophe. I really think this legend/story is a great reminder to us how our emotions can get the best of us at times. Then we just need to stop, refocus, and feed the right wolf ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-16-2012 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #35  
Rosebud

Cool Good Health Mantras ...

Here's that list of Mantras & Wise Sayings -- most of which came from people right here on this site ...

-------

"Be good to yourself. If you don’t take care of your body, where will you live?" – Kobi Yamada –

-------

"A year from now you'll be glad you started today."

-------

EAT LESS & MOVE MORE; then PLAN, TRACK, and PLAN some more!

-------

For me, the best eating plan is one that I enjoy; and the best exercise is one that I can do! moi

-------

Motivation will get you started, but only commitment will carry you through ...

-------

I commit to do the best that I can each and every day -- to stay with this lifestyle change, while I am learning.

-------

"Learn from the past, plan for the future; but, take it one day at a time ... BeverlyJoy

-------

Just getting started is half the battle won.

-------

Every day do something to make a better tomorrow.

-------

Decide; Start; Commit; Plan; Track; Tweak; Work it!

-------

No matter what -- Continue to work it ...

-------

"Love yourself enough to do what is required to succeed."

-------

You have time for whatever you make time for ...

-------

Don't neglect what you want most, for what you want now.

-------

A minute on the lips = a month on the hips! (or more?)

-------

Motivation may get you started, but only Commitment will last.

-------

"A slip doesn't have to become a free fall." ~ theox

-------

If an apple doesn't satisfy, then you're not really hungry!

-------

Keep on diggin' ... keep on fightin' ... keep on tryin' ...
Keep on, Keepin' on ... and you will win the prize!

-------

When you're truly committed to something ~ you accept no excuses, only results.”

-------

Scheduling can help you keep those commitments.

-------

Decide; Commit; Plan; Track; Goal; Account; Persevere!

-------

I am committed to doing my best each day.

-------

"Don't look at how far you have to go, look back at how far you have come."

-------

Fall seven times, stand up eight ... Japanese Proverb

-------

Sometimes it's easier to avoid a temptation than try to fight it! (Kaplods; paraphrased; moi)

-------

It's easier to stay on plan, than to get back on plan!

-------

*I keep telling myself, "Hunger is not an emergency." *

-------

A journey of 1000 miles begins with 1 step ...

-------

There comes a time when we all need to stop saying "I wish" or "I will", and start saying "I am", so we can later say "I did".

------- To me from me ------- A Pep Talk -------

We have to forgive ourselves for yesterday and all those mistakes, and focus on today ... Today is a new day. Today is the beginning of a new healthier lifestyle. Today is what matters. Today, we can correct the mistakes. Today, we can start fresh. Today, we can make better choices. Today, we can learn. Today, we can do better. Today, we can succeed.

-------

"In short, I need to have many ways to enjoy life -- food shouldn't become a central symbol. A diet shouldn't be too restrictive, and a person should cultivate MANY outlets for Joy in their life." Quote: unknown

-------

I've now realized that I can enjoy food without it being the center of my life. (tessendicott)

-------

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." ~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

-------

Weight Loss does not take Perfection. It takes Persistence.

-------

The stomach is a funny thing...the more food you feed it, the more it desires -- the less you feed it the less it requires!

-------

I love myself too much to eat that!

-------

"The future is based on the present..."

-------

"The only thing standing between who you are now and who you want to be ~ is YOU"

-------

"Nothing happens until something moves." ~ Einstein ~

-------

Physical fitness can neither be achieved by wishful thinking nor outright purchase. ~ Joseph Pilates ~

-------

~*~*~Don't let today's moment forsake tomorrow's dream~*~*~

-------

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading." ~ Lao Tzu ~

-------

"Self-esteem is the most important thing, not weight. Life is for being happy and making others around you happy." ~ Tracy34

-------

I Choose: To live by choice, not by chance; to make changes, not excuses; to be motivated, not manipulated; to be useful, not used; to excel, not compete. I choose: self-esteem, not self pity. I choose to listen to my inner voice, not the random opinions of others.

-------

Just Keep On, Keepin' On ...

-------

Plan to stay on Plan ...

-------

I CAN ... one-step-at-a-time!

-------

IT'S OK TO FEEL A LITTLE HUNGRY ...

-------

PERSISTENCE PAYS ...

-------

Don't give yourself permission to fail; you only fail if you quit!

-------

The best eating plan is one that you like; and the best exercise is one you enjoy ...

-------

Give yourself permission to win!!!

-------

Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit! ~ Conrad Hilton ~

-------

Decision + Commitment + Perseverance = Success

-------

Don't throw yourself down the stairs because you slipped on the first step.

-------

Live between the steps ... EZMONEY (Gary)

-------

Whatever plan works for you is the best plan for you.

-------

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow.”

-------

Use diet for weight loss & exercise for fitness.

-------

"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." ~Christopher Robin to Pooh ~

-------

"Decide what you want; decide what you're willing to exchange for it; establish your priorities, and go to work." ~ H.L.Hunt ~

-------

If you Want it, you’ll find a Way. If you Don’t, you’ll find an Excuse. ((Thanks, Meg))

-------

A glass of water is what it is ...
it's only our own perception that tells us
whether or not it's half empty or half full
... it's just a matter of Choice!!!

-------

The best eating plan is the one you can stick to; and the best exercise is the one that you will do. *uh-uh*

-------

Never give up what you want Most, for what you want at the Moment!!

-------

"Life has hills. Set the treadmill at an incline."

-------

The Only Thing I Want From Tomorrow Is To Live It Better Than Today.

-------

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance. (Karen31)

-------

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow, will be our doubts of today. ~ Franklin D Roosevelt ~

-------

“Far away in the sunshine are my highest aspirations. I may not reach them quickly, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them, and follow where they lead.”

-------

"Never give up, even when the obstacles seem sky high. There is something extraordinary in all of us." ~ The Eighty-Dollar Champion ~

-------

If you love the results, learn to love the process.

-------

Discipline is remembering what you want.

-------

You cannot out-exercise bad eating habits.

-------

Nothing is impossible! The word itself says 'I'm possible'! ~ Audrey Hepburn ~

-------

Worry looks around; sorry looks back; faith looks ^up^ ...

-------

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes." ~ William Gibson (good point, William) ~

-------

When the body is pushed beyond limits, rely on your heart to survive.

--------------

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

-------

You must find something you can live with -- and maintain at the worst of times ... Resolute

-------

You have to believe in what you are doing, and see it through ~ no matter how you feel ... (Resolute; mm)
-------

There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going...the road to success is never an easy one. Stay strong and focused on your journey. MJ5

-------

THERE IS NOTHING THAT YOU WILL FACE ON THIS EARTH, THAT SOMEONE ELSE HASN'T ALREADY OVERCOME! So, you can do it too! (Moi)

-------

"People often say that motivation doesn't last. Well, neither does bathing - that's why we recommend it daily." ~ Zig Ziglar ~

-------

That's not sweat, it's your fat cells crying! KEEP GOING! LOL!

-------

Eat to maintain the size you want to be, and eventually that will be your reality. (a food scientist said this once)

-------

Being overweight is hard; losing weight is hard; being sick is hard; maintaining is hard; so pick your hard ...

-------

NOTHING TASTES AS GOOD AS BEING HEALTHY FEELS!!!

-------

If you can dream it, you can achieve it; if you can imagine it, you can become it ...

-------

"The most exciting, and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself." Tanee

-------

Doing this one day at a time. Canadian Cutie

-------

"Be who you are, say what you feel. Those who matter, don't mind. Those who mind, don't matter." ~ Dr. Seuss ~

-------

PLAN, PLAN, PLAN ... and PLAN some more; and, eat piles of veggies ... RockinRobin

-------

My piece of advice for you is to throw the word 'motivation' out the window. Motivation may get you started but it will not carry you through out your journey. You need to replace that with commitment. COMMITMENT everyday to having the 'best' day you can. NEBMom

-------

-------

"A year from now you'll be glad you started today."

-------

"There is nothing you can't have tomorrow so there is no reason to eat it all today."

-------

You don't have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great.

-------

"Keep going, you are getting there."

-------

Just go at it ... one-day-at-a-time ... one-meal-at-a-time ... one-bite-at-a-time ... and one-lb-at-a-time! (Kaplods/moi)

-------

"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off the goal"

-------

I will always be a member of the Clean Plate Club...my plates are just smaller now.

-------

"You're stomach should not be a waste basket"

-------

"No matter how slow you go, you are passing everyone on the couch"

-------

"Sweat is just you're fat crying from all that hard work!"

-------

"Never give up on a dream! Just because of the length of time it will take to achieve it ... The time will pass anyway!"

-------

"If you hit a brick wall, aim higher and climb over it!"

-------

"When you're going through ****, KEEP GOING!!" Winston Churchill

-------

Ya, baby -- just keep on, keepin' on ...

-------

Each day is a choice. Scars tell you where you have been, they don't have to dictate where you are going ... Jill

-------

Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do ~ Johann von Goethe ~

-------

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." ~ John Wayne ~

-------

"You can be a Warrior or a slave ... it's up to you!"

-------

Positivity goes a long way towards making one's goals a reality!

-------

Quitting Is Not An Option ...

-------

Consistency matters. Consistently creating a calorie deficit results in weight loss and consistently creating a calorie surplus results in weight gain. Cheryl

-------

*Never give up and Never stop believing!* Kendra

-------

-------

LOVE is the best diet ...

-------

Sure I have a boyfriend, His name is Gym! BornToFly

-------

BTW... I've decided mosquitos are natures way of saying "Run fat girl, RUN!" :wink: AuntyJam from Calgary ... LOL

-------

Trying like crazy not to fit into my genes.

-------

Waddle fast ... and Flap hard ... then FLY!

-------

by Klein Helmer ...

I'll just consider it a happy accident. I have had worse things happen to me than stumbling into a forum full of voluptuous babes. (too cute; luv it)

-------

The “perfect” diet is the foods you’ll eat and the “perfect” workout is the one you’ll do. ~ Michael Marsh ~

-------

NEVER let your body image stop you from participating in your own life! ... Beach Patrol

-------

You CAN have ANYTHING you want, but you CAN'T have EVERYTHING you want! (Beach Patrol's mom)

-------

'You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step' ... Martin Luther King

-------

Change can be wonderful if you are willing to make it that way.

-------

Your past does not dictate to your future ...

-------

The day you change your eating habits is the day you let go of denial.

-------

Keeping it off is a hundred decisions a day that help you maintain what you achieved. And that's the hard part. ~ L Sanders ~

-------

"The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible." ~ Arthur C. Clarke ~

-------

"You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."

-------

It is never too late to be what you wanna be; or do what you wanna do ...

-------

"Laughing heartily five times a day has the same beneficial effects as ten minutes on a rowing machine." Really???

-------

"I'm through accepting limits, cause someone says they're so.
Some things I cannot change but 'til I try, I'll never know!"

-------

The only limit to our realization of tomorrow, will be our doubts of today. ~ Franklin D Roosevelt ~

-------

Failure: Neglecting what we want most for what we want right now!

-------

"You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it." ~ Margaret Thatcher ~

-------

Do what you gotta do ~ to get where you wanna get!

-------

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated failures. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent ~ Calvin Coolidge ~

-------

The procedure is simple. You work by continuous repetition of an idea, plan, or purpose, until it is accepted by the subconscious mind. ~Napoleon Hill ~

-------

"No matter who you are, no matter what you do, you absolutely, positively do have the power to change.” ~ Bill Phillips ~

-------

Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still ~ Chinese Proverb

-------

The tragedy in life doesn't lie in not reaching your goal. The tragedy lies in having no goal to reach. ~ Benjamin Mays ~

-------

"Knowing trees, I understand the meaning of patience. Knowing grass, I can appreciate persistence." ~ Hal Borland ~

-------

Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, handsome, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God ... from CherryPie

-------

No one can make you feel inferior without your permission.

-------

I can't lose 100 pounds....but, just maybe I can lose five pounds twenty times. BeverlyJoy

-------

You don't have to be great to start; but you have to start to be great; so hop to it ... Karen

-------

"Blessed are the curious, for they shall have adventures" ~ Lovelle Drachman
-------

"Vision without action is a daydream ~ Action without vision is a nightmare" ~ Vladadog

-------

“It always seems impossible until its done.” ` Nelson Mandela ~

-------

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world... "

-------

Government: if you think the problems we create are bad, just wait until you see our solutions!

-------

"There's no such thing as failure. There's only feedback. Stop judging yourself & start recognizing it for what it is, an entry point for learning. The truth is, if you're not failing then you're not really reaching & really trying. If you don't like the outcome of a situation, learn from it, make corrections & reapproach wiser & stronger until you achieve your goals." ... Peanutt

-------

Sweat Pea from Sucker Punch - "Who honors those we love with the very life we live? Who sends monsters to kill us, and at the same time sings that we'll never die? Who teaches us what's real, and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live, and what we'll die to defend? Who chains us, and who holds the key to set us free? It's you. You have all the weapons you need. Now fight!"

-------

I Choose: a repeat but worth it!

To live by choice, not by chance;
to make changes, not excuses;
to be motivated, not manipulated;
to be useful, not used;
to excel, not compete.
I choose self-esteem, not self pity.
I choose to listen to my inner voice,
not the random opinions of others.

-------

"My religion is kindness." -- the Dalai Lama

-------

Age is mind over matter; if you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

-------

A friend is someone who reaches for your hand, but touches your heart ... <3

-------

Growing old is inevitable, but growing up is optional.

-------

You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old.

-------

Remember, all things are possible for those who believe!

-------

Love doesn't make the world go round, but it sure makes the ride worthwhile ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-28-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #36  
Rosebud

Talking Positive Food Tape ...

I have read that it is helpful for us to make a positive "FOOD TAPE" -- a tape or file with positive affirmations and thoughts that heal. You listen to the tape before you sleep; or just read it, if you don't have a tape recorder or mp3 player. Here is my list; you may find this helpful ...

* My Food Tape * positive statements for change:

-- Today is the best day for success
-- eat healthy today; you are worth it
-- I am improving the quality of my life
-- I am taking good care of my body & my health
-- I am committed to living better

-- Know & respect your food history
-- to gain control & prevent binging
-- which is really self-sabotage
-- history reveals triggers & patterns
-- but patterns can be mastered
-- find substitutes for trigger foods

-- If you don't buy it; you won't eat it
-- let no food tell you what to do
-- what's not in my kitchen is not on my hips
-- I am choosing the best foods for me
-- eating well makes me feel well

-- Monitoring is being aware
-- scheduling aides commitment
-- I'm planning to stay on plan
-- I allow no excuses ...
-- preparation prevents problems

-- I have a doable plan
-- less is more
-- keep it simple
-- limit variety
-- live the vision

-- I am taking small steps
-- just one-day-at-a-time
-- I am making positive changes
-- I am learning from past mistakes
-- I have only a few patterns to master

-- Don't give up, no matter what
-- quitting is not an option
-- keep diggin' & tryin' & fightin'
-- just keep on, keepin' on ...
-- I am making headway every day

THINK STRATEGY ...

-- My strategies give power to possibility
-- eating it all doesn't make you happy, just heavy
-- foods don't solve problems; solutions do
-- don't eat your feelings: feel your feelings
-- eating less makes me feel lighter

-- Avoiding temptation is easier than fighting it
-- eating smaller servings leaves more room
-- smaller servings have less calories
-- less food in smaller plates & bowls
-- leads to better weight control

-- What you did in the past didn't work for you
-- so make changes, so the future will
-- ask what is my history with this food
-- or even this type of food, first
-- then decide whether you should eat it or not

-- Watch out for trigger foods: junkies/salty nuts/sweets
-- trigger behaviors: boredom/keep busy; emotions/manage them
-- trigger situations: holidays, parties, trips/plan ahead
-- trigger times: afternoon and evening/be prepared
-- trigger temptations: little bits = slippery slopes

-- Be food-wise
-- don't miss a meal
-- don't mindlessly munch
-- pre-measure servings
-- substitute & switch

-- You cannot do what you have always done
-- and expect a different result ...
-- instead of eating foods for comfort
-- eat foods that make you feel good afterwards
-- like fruit, fiber, vegetables, and low-fat dairy

-- Order smaller servings or split a meal
-- use a fork & knife to eat pizza (or finger foods)
-- have tomato juice or V-8 instead of alcohol
-- munch vegetable sticks instead of junk
-- prepare a bag of these to go with you

-- You are smarter than food
-- commitment reigns over motivation
-- awareness destroys complacency
-- your strategies will save the day
-- happiness is a better reward

-- Savor the foods you love
-- and be a selective gourmet
-- healthize your favorite dishes
-- working towards life enhancement
-- achieving my highest goals

-- It's not about good or bad
-- it's not about right or wrong
-- it's not even all about you
-- it's about finding strategies
-- that will go to work for you

-- I deserve to be healthy & comfortable
-- I have overcome so much in my life already
-- I am strong & smart & in control
-- I am decided & determined to succeed
-- Persist & Persevere to win the prize

-- I will not waver through the stages
-- I understand the process: the ups & downs & flats
-- I know this is a continuous process
-- a magnificent journey of life lessons
-- and a marathon for long-term health

-- YOU are a Winner & an Achiever & an Overcomer
-- and remember, when all is said & done
-- that this one thing remains true ...
-- ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE, with GOD; and,
-- I CAN do all things through Christ who strengthens me
@ Philippians 4:13

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-03-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:48 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 200/183/150

Height: 5'7

I'm a emotioal eater myself
mrslosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #38  
Rosebud

You are not alone in that department; so so many of us are emotional-response eaters, but we can learn to manage them better with some strategies, practice, and time ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-17-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #39  
Rosebud

* LIFE ISSUES -- That Affect Our Emotions *

The Life Issues I want to talk about are the relationships and circumstances that come up that affect our emotional well-being -- especially the ones that cause us to turn to food for comfort.

Issues like our personal relationships with our spouses, our children, our families, friends, neighbours, and co-workers. These groups affect us more than any others, and often on a daily basis. Sometimes, they are a cause of anxiety, worry, sadness (depression), and a lot of on-going stress.

One of the biggest mistakes we can make is to ignore the effect that our personal relationships have on our well-being. As Dr. Phil likes to say, "Self Matters". However, too often women (and some men) put their happiness & well-being BEHIND that of their spouses, children, and families. This can be a huge & very costly mistake, especially for our health.

Women in our society have been raised to be "nurturers" and have been socialized to fulfill that role. Many times they stay in that position simply because it is necessary for their family life to work well. Often women are the "glue" that holds the family structure together; and without them, it would tumble to pieces.

I often hear women saying that they are depressed, discouraged, tired, anxious, worried, and stressed. Then they admit that they know that this is causing them to eat and live in an unhealthy way, but they don't do anything to change their circumstances, then they ask why they can't get better.

They ask, "What's wrong with me?" Or, "What am I doing wrong?" Really there isn't anything wrong with them -- they just haven't learned the life skills that they need to deal with all of these stressors. They haven't learned how to "manage" their emotions.

Not only do you have to learn how to manage your emotions better, but you also have to be willing to make the necessary changes in your life so that you can remove the harmful stressors out of your life for good. Now, life will always have stress, but you can make a difference in how much you have, and for how long.

For instance, many people hide the fact that they are in unhappy and/or abusive relationships until they get out. They try & try to "fix it" themselves; and some may even get some counselling, but sometimes that is just not enough. They end up just accepting "their fate" to become perpetual door mats; or they stay until they get sick, or become angry & bitter, or feel hopeless.

SO, WHAT ARE THE SOLUTIONS?

Many times you can make enough changes to salvage the relationship and/or marriage. It may mean just standing up for yourself more. It may mean demanding a say in how money is managed and dispersed. It may mean getting a job to help out, or to make sure you have some spending money of your own, or to improve your standard of living. It may mean learning how to negotiate your way around the marriage much like you might a business contract -- how to bargain & compromise.

It may mean learning a new way to communicate. It may mean that you need some counselling together or apart, if needs be (as some partners refuse to go to counselling); but some help is better than doing nothing. It may mean limiting the time you spend with difficult people (i.e. inlaws). It may mean making new friends. It may mean changing the church you go to, or the clubs you belong to.

It may mean taking a rest or a vacation. It may mean changing your priorities. It may mean downsizing. It may mean changing your lifestyle choices. It may mean getting help. It may mean learning how to sew or cook (i.e. as in taking lessons or classes).

And sometimes, you may have to make bigger changes like moving or changing jobs or going back to school, but these kinds of changes are well worth the bother in the long run. Plus, seek out solutions to your problems that doesn't involve food. Don't be afraid to ask others for advice & help whenever you need it, even if you have to pay for it (i.e. personal financial advice: don't forget that many banks offer this service for FREE to their customers). Often you can find answers over the net, also for FREE: the only cost is the "time" you spend to find it.

TO SUM UP ...

This is why some people can't seem to manage their emotions -- simply because they are not managing the stressors that are causing the emotional upsets in the first place. Some people may need counselling -- such as CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy); or one that focuses specifically on their emotional responses to people and life situations, like EFT (Emotional Freedom Techniques; google it).

Regardless of what your issues are, do something -- do whatever you need to do to make yourself happier and your life better. Yes, it is true that some things can't be changed (like other people), but do what you can. If nothing else, you can at least change how you respond to difficult people and tough situations. That's a good start, and can make a world of difference.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-05-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:37 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 146/138/120

Height: 5'2 1/4

I'm sitting here in tears...

I've been struggling with emotional eating, binge eating and purging for 10 years. 2 1/2 years ago I came to Christ, and though my life has changed in so many wonderful ways, I've still battled these food issues daily.

I've been feeling so defeated, so removed from myself and out of control. I've tried countless ways to fight the temptations and depression that follows.

I've recently been feeling far from my faith and overwhelmed by my struggles, but reading this post had reignited it all! I know that through Him all things are possible!

I need only to lean on Him to get through this! Thanks you all for your wonderful words, being able to read them is a true blessing and inspiration <3
aleigh3890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #41  
Rosebud

ALEIGH ~ hello, from a former binger here ... we sure know how you feel! I'm glad that you find this thread helpful. Will send up some ^prayers^ for you too that the LORD will help you get the victory over your emotions and heal the stresses that cause problems for you. Yes, with GOD all things are possible!!!

RE: BINGING & PURGING ~ People binge for three basic reasons --
1) you are just truly hungry [i.e. from skipping meals, eating too little, or lacking nutrients]; 2) you are stuffing your emotions & eating your feelings; 3) you are re-acting to stress in your life.

People purge becuz they are trying to undo their binging -- they are trying to correct their mistakes the wrong way. The purging will stop when you stop punishing yourself; and, when you FORGIVE yourself for not being perfect. You need to re-learn how to love yourself, accept yourself, and forgive yourself for being human.

You do this by accepting GOD's Love into your heart and life; and by acknowledging His acceptance of you (for He loves you just as you are); and by allowing His forgiveness to heal you (claim His mercy & grace in your life).

Also, don't try to deal with this all by yourself ... ask JESUS for strength and wisdom how to avoid temptations (not fight them). He handled them with scriptures, prayer, praize, and thanksgiving. To get away from stress -- JESUS would go somewhere peaceful and quiet (into the mountains, by or on the sea, or to gardens). Ask the Holy Spirit for power and self-control; let Him help you.

Ask GOD to show you what stressors you can change, and how to do that. Then ask him to show you the things you can just learn how to re-act to better, and how. I did what I call "a life inventory" to see what I needed to change. It does take some time, but with practice -- you can get better and better as time goes by. Here's one of my most favorite prayers ...

THE SERENITY PRAYER

GOD grant me the Serenity ...
to accept the things I cannot change --
The Courage, to change the things I can
and the Wisdom, to know the difference ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 05-05-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #42  

Thank you so much for starting this thread. I really needed to hear the things that have been said here.
CurvyNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #43  
Rosebud

CURVY ~ you're quite welcome; I re-read this thread every now & then as well, just to make sure I am focusing on the right things. Today, I came across another Mantra that I had in another file that I thought was so fitting for this thread ...

"TO REACT IS NEGATIVE -- BUT TO RESPOND IS POSITIVE"

Don't react to stress or problems or people by eating; instead, look for a positive solution, and find a way to de-activate the stress that you are facing at this moment.

Sure needed this reminder right now -- we've had a stressful day here today. Thank the LORD, I just came in here; so I have been singing worship songs and did not turn to food. What a wonderful victory that truly is ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 06-18-2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

We lose our way, we get back up again
It's never too late to get back up again
Get up, get up, you're gonna shine again
You may be knocked down but not out forever

- TobyMac
treadmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #45  
Rosebud

Quote:
We lose our way, we get back up again
It's never too late to get back up again
Get up, get up, you're gonna shine again
You may be knocked down but not out forever

- TobyMac

Thanks for that reminder, TREADMILER. That is so true. No matter what life throws at us, we can get back up and shine again!