Old 06-27-2009, 09:05 AM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Default DAILY DEVOTION ~ Saturday 6/27

Daily Devotions from Lutheran Hour Ministries

"Hopeful "

June 27, 2009

In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. John 1:4-5

Today is Saturday, a wonderful day of rest.

That's the way it was on another Saturday in the beginning of the last century. On that summer's day, a man and his family were driving through a mining region. Their trip was interrupted when they noticed a large number of mules out in an open field. Stopping in curiosity, they asked about this unusual sight. The family was told the work animals had been brought up from the dark mine passages below to preserve their eyesight.

The company had found that unless the mules were regularly exposed to the sunlight, they would eventually go blind.

I imagine the same could be said for humans, not that most people are kept underground for years at a time.

No, I'm saying people need regular exposure to the love and light of God.

Without seeing the hope God can provide, we can easily get used to the darkness of this world. Our minds start to believe there is no hope, no love, no joy, and no goodness. Our souls are soon brought down by the darkness that is so much a part of the news. No, we need to see Jesus, the Light of God.

We need to see the light of His love, His sacrifice, and the joy of His salvation. And we need it regularly. If you haven't seen it lately, it's time to take a look. God doesn't want you to go blind.

This is why He'll be looking forward to seeing you at worship this weekend.

From a devotion originally written for "By the Way"

THE PRAYER: Dear Lord, sometimes the darkness of the world intrudes and tries to convince me that's all there is. Let me regularly look upon Your love as it was shown on Jesus' cross and at His empty tomb. Then, having seen, may I reflect His light to those who are still in darkness. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

In Christ I remain His servant and yours,

Pastor Ken Klaus
Speaker of The Lutheran HourŪ
Lutheran Hour Ministries
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote