Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-24-2006, 03:15 PM   #16  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

I am really relieved to hear that treadmill running is an alright way to go about doing the C25K program. I don't know why but I feel so much more comfortable at the gym here than at the track. I think it's got something to do with the fact that no one can really tell how slow I am on a treadmill. And I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has a complex about this. I think some of you are lot braver than me in terms of facing up to these issues... I'd rather just avoid the place.. lol.. I will definitely take your advice to heart, thank you all. I'm sure I'll have more questions too soon enough.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 04:05 AM   #17  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Just wanted to add this, something I just remembered last night, when I started C25K I did one of my first week sessions running up and down the living room. I wan't going to let the fact that it was dark outside stop me running!

Where there's a will there's a way - oh and what it says down there in my siggy
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:26 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I'm another who was intimidated by a gym when I started at 295! We have a treadmill in the basement I made extensive use of. When I felt more comfortable I joined the Y (at 250!). You know, once I got past it, I didn't feel uncomfortable there! Easing into it is fine!

Now we joined a new gym and I KNOW I would not have been able to join it 100+ pounds ago.

So, we get it. Treadmill is a great way to start! When you start getting bored, you'll know it's time to try something new!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:14 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

I agree with the other posters that you can certainly do the program on the treadmill...after all, the most important thing is to build your strength and endurance, and I am sure that the treadmill can be used effectively to do so.

But, if you want to tackle the track again, here's a practical suggestion for you. I was intimidated by the idea of running on the running path near me too - I was sure everyone would know I had no clue what I was doing and would be aghast at how out of shape I am. But I don't like the gym and would rather be outdoors, so I decided that if I wore a baseball cap and sunglasses, I could hide behind them whenever another runner was near. I know it sounds silly, but having those barriers to limit eye contact worked for me in getting over that initial fear thing. Now (a whole week later!), I feel much more comfortable out there, having realized: (1) that no one is really looking at me, let alone laughing and pointing; and (2) that the runners out there come in all shapes, sizes and strides.

Bottom line - do what you are comfortable with, the most important thing is to get in the exercise....but if you really want to be outdoors, give it a try!
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:38 PM   #20  

When I first started losing all my weight, I was a bit intimidated by any new activity or sport. I became an expert at getting folks in my life to try things with me. As a result, I've learned to snowboard, mountain bike, surf (yes, futuresurferchick, SURF)...wouldn't trade all of that for the world. What I'm trying to say is, how about getting a friend or family member to share your discomfort with this? Drag someone off the couch along with you. Trust me, the more you try new things, the more confident you'll be, it's a positive cycle. My friends and family are now terrified of me--they know they'll be dragged into some adventure or another. : )) Good luck, I respect your efforts to try new things!
boarderchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 03:18 PM   #21  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

Futuresurferchick, I feel yah! I had the same problem going to my ex-college gym. It's so disheartening and I know it's all in my head, but it's hard to get past it. I've set up a little gym in a corner of my basement; TV/DVD, radio, treadmill, set of handweights, yoga mat, and stability ball. It lets me be private and focus all my energy on my workout rather than my insecurities.

On a side note, I had never heard of the C25k program, thanks for introducing it to me! My mom is a runner and had done a couple of marathons, it'd be nice to at least do a 5k with her!
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:34 PM   #22  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2frustrated View Post
when I started C25K I did one of my first week sessions running up and down the living room.
That's fantastic... I may have to try that on a cold winter day! My living room is very small so it would be very challenging!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn View Post
Now we joined a new gym and I KNOW I would not have been able to join it 100+ pounds ago.
I know what you mean.. when I first started going to the gym I was too afraid to go to the one here on campus so I paid way too much to travel to a YMCA one instead. It was ultimately unsustainable and then I realized that the gym here wasn't so scary afterall. I'm sure the same would be true of the track, but for now I think I'll stick with the treadmill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityChick View Post
But, if you want to tackle the track again, here's a practical suggestion for you. I decided that if I wore a baseball cap and sunglasses, I could hide behind them whenever another runner was near. I know it sounds silly, but having those barriers to limit eye contact worked for me in getting over that initial fear thing.
That is a really creative idea! lol wow. Thanks for the tip. Maybe one day I'll try that out. Good for you for conquering your fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boarderchick View Post
When I first started losing all my weight, I was a bit intimidated by any new activity or sport. I became an expert at getting folks in my life to try things with me. As a result, I've learned to snowboard, mountain bike, surf (yes, futuresurferchick, SURF)...wouldn't trade all of that for the world. What I'm trying to say is, how about getting a friend or family member to share your discomfort with this? Drag someone off the couch along with you.
I totally admire that you are out there trying all of these activities and sports--that is a huge part of why I am losing weight. I've recruited an athletic male friend to run with me in the spring so I have to be ready to take him on... I think that is motivation enough to keep me going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theobviouschild View Post
I had never heard of the C25k program, thanks for introducing it to me! My mom is a runner and had done a couple of marathons, it'd be nice to at least do a 5k with her!
I found it through 3FC too.. it's a great program. I'm enjoying it so far, my 3rd workout is tomorrow. Good luck with it!
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote