Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-28-2006, 08:35 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/188/150

Height: 5'7

Default Question about excercise and weight loss

Hi everyone! I usually post on the calorie counter thread, but I thought I would come over here to get some input about excercise.

I am 26, 178 pounds, 5'7, and my maintenance calorie intake is 1946.
I have been counting calories for about 2 months now, lost 12 pounds very quickly at first, without excercising.

I started adding excercise and free weights 3 weeks ago, steadily increasing, and now I do it 4 times a week for 45-60 minutes. aiming at 5 times a week. I eat around 1400 calories per day.

My question is, for the past 3 weeks, the scale has not budged. I am wondering if this is because of the excercise and weight lifting. And, am I doing the right thing? I love excercise, and it has helped me feel better, but I'm concerned that I haven't lost pounds in a while. Is this normal when increasing excercise? Will I continue to slim down?

Thanks in advance!!!
judes26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:46 AM   #2  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

How long did it take you to lose those first 12 pounds? Often our bodies will drop a lot of weight quickly when we change our eating and exercise habits (most of which is water), then seem to go into slow motion or even stop losing all together. Your body is still adjusting to your new levels of food and activity.
Not only that, but sometimes exercising will seem to slow down the movement of the scale for a number of reasons. You are burning fat and building muscle, and that is a good thing.
Have you tried taking your measurements? How are your clothes fitting? You may be showing your weight loss in other ways than just the number on your scale.

Overall, you know you feel better, and you admit that you love to exercise. You ARE doing the right things, and you ARE being healthier, right? Your body--and the scale--will realize that eventually, just as long as you don't stop doing it.

~Elisha
miss_elisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:54 AM   #3  

I'm having same trouble. Have lost 25 lbs since Jan 1. Have been doing water aerobics 2 nights a week and Walk Away the Pounds on other days. Now that the weather is nice, I've started walking 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 miles outside (stopped doing WATP but still do water). Now my weight loss has stalled! Any suggestions?
Jen412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:06 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/188/150

Height: 5'7

Elisha, I lost the first 12 pounds in about 4 weeks- very quikly.

And you are right- my clothes do feel a bit looser. I guess i just get nervous when I don't see the numbers move. I wanted to get other people's opinions to make sure I'm doing the right things. Some people say muscle weighs more than fat, others say that is a myth... some say muscle is more dense than fat,- that's why you weigh the same but look smaller. So, I guess it's a litte confusing for me.

Jen, you sound like me. You know, walking outside might be working different muscles, and you might be gaining muscle in those areas, so maybe that's why it has stalled. What is your eating like?
judes26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 10:40 AM   #5  

My eating hasn't changed. Still get my alotted number of points each day including fruits/veggies and milk. I drink lots of water too. Guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.
Jen412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 11:19 AM   #6  

I tend not to weigh. In the last six weeks I have had at least 20 people say how much weight I have lost since Christmas and how fabulous I am looking, I had dropped a jeans size, and all my tops are getting loose around the arms and back.

How many pounds have I lost in the last three months???? Um according to the scales last time I looked, three pounds.

Don't stress, and as miss_elisha says, measure! It's more accurate in many cases than the scales.

It is unlikely you are building muscle yet, in just three weeks. I think it could possibly be fluid retention from your muscles, and it might be worth revisiting your eating, and if you don't already do so, to journal. It's really easy to overeat when you exercise, I find when exercising regularly I am physically hungry a lot of times, which isn't a feeling I am used to!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:26 PM   #7  

I am new to the forum, but understand your situation. Like you, I have been on a program for 6 weeks and instantly gained five pounds then lost ten. My clothes fit better and have more room in them. I think that is most important. Even though I am not seeing it on the scale nor with the measuring tape. I know something is right. At the beginning of the program I could barely complete five minutes on the elliptical, now I am up to 35 minutes easy. My trainer says overall health is what matters. Everything else is extra!!
I agree with everyone, all have great advice. Don't be so focused on the scale. Do you feel better? It will come, keep up the good work!
MissaMe is offline   Reply With Quote