Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-18-2006, 02:07 PM   #16  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Well, not lately, becasue I haven't put in anything, because I've burnt out. But you know what I mean... When I *was* exercising, it wasn't giving me the big payoff. Which, I guess, is why Ive stopped.
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 02:11 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Let me at that trainer! What load of horse crap! Golf is indeed a worthwhile exercise! Remember move more and eat less. Golfing is moving more! And it counts!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:20 PM   #18  

Ditto Susan, I was about to whack the trainer over the head with an organic carrot!

It all counts. I just happen to be an exercise lover. I don't know how that happened really, as I spent 32 and a half years avoiding it. Now I swim, do cardio at the gym, weight train, I've started classes like dance and body combat and I do yoga and pilates.

If you hate it, you hate it. Your doing the right thing by adding incidental exercise and your golf.

The world would be very boring if we were all the same (and my gym would be even more crowded!!!)

I tend to exercise at the end of the day, due to my schedule, so have a shower at the end of the day. I too hate showering during the day. I get a bit tired of changing clothes all the time too.

Do what you can do without going more nuts than you already are It's no use doing something that you hate, and for what its worth, it sounds like you are doing the right things, given your base hatred of exercise.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:37 PM   #19  
Ilene the Bean

Lena -- The "big payoff" as you call it takes a LOT of time and commitment and patience, we alllll want the magic pill and pooff we're slim!! Ain't gonna happen ... find something you like and just do it, golfing counts too, just move it to lose it ...

You know something? When I weight train I barely sweat ... You could do weights then wash your face, pitts, anything else you want, then you're good to go... Just a thought...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:19 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

I think it was JillyBean 720 that described exercise as a "necessary evil." That is the best way I've ever heard it put. I hate exercise with a passion, but I force myself to do it 17 times a week. I also had the mentality that if I didn't see results right away, why bother taking the trouble to exercise. So that's why I jumped in a bit excessively, but saw results fairly soon. I liked what I saw, so I've continued working out the same amount (granted, I cheat at times too).

The biggest thing for me is that I love to read. If you can find a really good book that can suck you in, it's a little easier to take your mind off the horrible torture you're inflicting on yourself. It at least makes time go by more quickly (make sure it's an interesting book, boring books actually make the time seem longer; I've made that mistake). With tv, there are commercials that allow the mind to wander back to how much you hate exercise; with just music, your eyes are free to wander back to the clock; so I find a book to be the most engaging activity.

Also, I feel no shame in admitting this: I don't shower after I work out. There are others at my gym who don't either; we just can't spare that kind of time during the work day. I towel off the sweat and wipe myself down with a wet paper towel, apply the deoderant and go on my merry way (oh yeah, I put some clothes on before returning to work ). Understand though, that I'm not insensitive to those around me. I've even asked my coworker who sits next to me (she's someone I can trust for an honest answer) if I ever smell after working out, and she's said that I don't. I've been around coworkers who also go to the gym and don't shower, and I have yet to find an offensive odor. Even if you're a heavy sweater (I sweat like a man), you don't necessarily smell bad enough to warrant a shower after every workout. Although, I do go through 3 sets of clothes during the day, which really makes my laundry pile up - another unfortunate side effect of the evils of exercise.

I have found that I'm starting to 'almost kind of sort of enjoy' working out with my weights and stability ball at home, but only the ten minute portion when I work the upper body. I guess that's a start, but I doubt I'll ever be able to say that I enjoy exercise, but at least I'll be able to say that I enjoy being slim and fit. Good luck trying to convince your body that something that feels so bad is in actuality really good.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #21  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodbye Chubby
The biggest thing for me is that I love to read. If you can find a really good book that can suck you in, it's a little easier to take your mind off the horrible torture you're inflicting on yourself. It at least makes time go by more quickly (make sure it's an interesting book, boring books actually make the time seem longer; I've made that mistake). With tv, there are commercials that allow the mind to wander back to how much you hate exercise; with just music, your eyes are free to wander back to the clock; so I find a book to be the most engaging activity.
Oh, one thing my sister does that I wish I could do (I don't have any exercise equipment at home) is she sets her treadmill so she can see the tv and then plays the old season episodes of Gilmore Girls on DVD (I love that show!). Of course, this would work with any show--an hour episode is usually at least 45 minutes on DVD, and a half-hour show I would think is maybe 22 minutes. That way, no commercials, and you KNOW it will be a show you like!
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:08 PM   #22  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
A good book is great on the mill when you are walking, especially one with large print. What helped me throught the "I don't want to but have to exercise" mentality was my portable DVD player. My husband bought it for me so I could put it right on the treadmill. (Yes, he makes sweet and helpftul gestures sometimes. )

Some people like to watch action movies. I prefer movies with both a great musical score and lots of dialogue. Also, I watch movies that I have seen before so I am free to watch parts or just look up and listen as if I were listening to a book on tape.

Of course it takes at least 2 workout sessions for me to finish an entire movie. But there are no commercials. Just me and my favorite movies. After doing this for awhile I've found that I don't need the DVD player as much anymore. Sometimes just walking and looking out the window is enough.

I don't care for sweating. But I love what the exercise does for me and how it makes me feel afterward. I also really enjoy a shower after a workout. It feels good to be disgustingly sweaty and then freshly clean with loose cotton clothes on.

I like eating certain junk foods. I mean I could really enjoy the experience, except that afterwards I know I will feel ill. So actually I can say I HATE lots of junk foods.

I don't always like exercising. I mean I don't always enjoy the experience, but I love how I feel afterward. Physically and mentally.. so yes, I have to say that I DO enjoy exercising. It's all a matter of perspective.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 06:37 PM   #23  
Ilene the Bean

Another thing that may help are books on tape or CD or you can download them on a MP3 or iPOD... That would work better for me because I get too intense in my workout to read. When I run I have a radio where I can listen to all kinds of music and the news and radio hosts silly jokes, yea I LOL when I run ...
Old 04-18-2006, 08:13 PM   #24  
Embracing My New Normal

I tried watching a movie once while treadmilling. It was a terrible, horrible awful movie, incredibly boring and made treadding that much worse. I used to try to tread during American Idol (barely tolerable), but ever since Mandisa got booted I lost all interest in the show and haven't watched it since. Come to think of it, I don't think I've treadded since then, either .

Maybe a better movie would help...

I can't read while treadding. I bounce too much.

Quote:
I don't always enjoy the experience, but I love how I feel afterward. Physically and mentally.
I wish I could say that. If I could anticipate loving how I felt after, I'd have more incentive to do it. Instead, I dread how I'm going to feel. Before, during and after.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:40 PM   #25  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

I felt like that for a very long time, Lena. I still do sometimes. In the beginning I HATED exercising. I avoided doing it at all costs. But it came to a point where I had to decide which I hated more: being fat or getting sweaty. I think you can tell which one won out.

I love to dance. I've never taken lessons or anything, but I love just shaking my groove thang. When I don't feel like "exercising", I dance for half an hour. I usually have so much fun that I don't even feel like I've done anything. And you know what they say, "Time flies when you're having fun" Keep going, Lena.
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 10:26 PM   #26  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I do find cardio on a machine boring if i'm not listening to music. The music helps the time go by faster. Today, I had the image of the girl in "Run Lola Run" while I was on the elliptical and I did 25 minutes total.

Lena, I do think you will get there. Don't beat yourself. I think there are very few people who actually enjoy every aspect of exercise.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:51 PM   #27  

Quote:
I

Also, I feel no shame in admitting this: I don't shower after I work out. There are others at my gym who don't either; we just can't spare that kind of time during the work day. I towel off the sweat and wipe myself down with a wet paper towel, apply the deoderant and go on my merry way (oh yeah, I put some clothes on before returning to work ). Understand though, that I'm not insensitive to those around me. I've even asked my coworker who sits next to me (she's someone I can trust for an honest answer) if I ever smell after working out, and she's said that I don't. I've been around coworkers who also go to the gym and don't shower, and I have yet to find an offensive odor. Even if you're a heavy sweater (I sweat like a man), you don't necessarily smell bad enough to warrant a shower after every workout. Although, I do go through 3 sets of clothes during the day, which really makes my laundry pile up - another unfortunate side effect of the evils of exercise.
Count me in the who the heck needs to take a shower camp. When i workout, i sweat a clean, healthy sweat that doesn't smell like BO... it smells like sweat but not in the bad, nervous BO way. It is hard to explain, but very true. I have a good friend who is in phenomonal shape. She is an educational therapist and Tae Kwan Do champ (in the women 40+ category she was actually nationally ranked for a while) and she told me once, not being able to shower was not an excuse not to exercise. That is why we have deoderant... towel off, slap some on and get on with your day.

As for hating to exercise, i do too. Ill go thru phases where i am great about it (and my doctor loves that bc it has great mental health benefits) and times where for two or three weeks i couldn't make myself run if my house was burning down. You definitely arent alone, but the fact that you are trying to figure something out is a good start. Eventually you will find something that works for you.
eadavenp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:50 PM   #28  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

i hate to see that you feel so adament about not exercising. I might go Dr. Phil on you for a minute, but you have GOT to change your mentality about working out. No one said you have to work out for long periods of time.. start with ten mins. Then go from there.

I for one know.. that when you are very heavy that exercise DOES feel like a waste of time, because you dont see results as quick as someone who is smaller does. Eventually though you will start to see bones you have never seen before, collar bones, wrist bones, knee caps, cheek bones, ect. Then eventually you will see muscles youve never seen. I have been there, I know exactly what you are going through, but you have to change your mind. Like someone else said.. I decided that I hated being fat, more than I hated exercise. Yes, the scale is a motivator but know that losing more than 2lbs of fat, a week isnt healthy and if fact is highly unlikely.. 52 weeks in a year 52*2 = 104. Thats an enormous amount of weight.

Another thing that helps me is I look at older people, 50,60,70's who walk like snails, and have canes. The human body isnt meant to freeze up on you.. its not something that "just happens" unless you have some type of disease that freezes the joints. There are 80 year olds out there, that have more endurance than I do at 24. Ive seen them, and I am in awe. What did they do different? They took care of themselves. We were built to move. Humans werent built to drive cars everywhere, sit in front of the TV on the sofa, in front of the computer.. ect.

You may not have health problems YET.. but you will. My grandmother is 73 years old. She has always been overweight, never exercised intentionally, and never really ate like she should. At 73 ( which is not that old), my grandmother can barely walk, she cant eat the things she once enjoyed because she over endulged in her "healthy" years, so for her... there IS NO moderation, she cant have it at all. My grandmother has been on a downward spiral since she was 50! For me.. thats in 25 years.. I have too much to do, and that is too little time for my health to go south. My grandmother barely knows who her loved ones are anymore. Yes I attribute this to her weight, I have researched and there are studies that have proven that obesity kills brain cells and is linked to Alzheimers and other brain disorders. She is also on a plethera of meds... its sad that her whole day revolves around taking her next pill, and eatting what may as well be cardboard. Especially when the 80 year old at the gym is leaping on the treadmill like a freakin gazelle. Makes me very sad that she didnt take care of herself because she will never really know what we have become and who our children are. I do not want my children, grandchildren or even great grand children to know that feeling. Thats my motivation. Sorry I have just come so far, Im very passionate.
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 10:36 PM   #29  
Ilene the Bean

Ready2ShedLBS -- Thank you for going Dr. Phil!! Excellent post and oh so true!!
Old 04-20-2006, 12:34 AM   #30  
Embracing My New Normal

I really appreciate all your responses, even when you go all "Dr. Phil" on me . Your comments, coupled with some self-analysis, are helping me crystalize what it is I hate about exercise.

To be honest, I have to say, as politically incorrect as it may be, I still hate exercise. I just do. It's always been my contention that one can't control feelings or emotions. Feelings/emotions are what they are. They just happen. However, one can control how one deals with or acts upon those feelings and emotions. And that's what I'm trying to do with this extreme, lifelong dislike of exercise, trying to figure out how to deal with it.

I think I've identified 5 major points as to the Why.

1) Exercise is "punishment" for not having been born with one of the "good" bodies.
Addressed in a prior post.

2) The Exercise Police
No matter what I do, it's never enough. Never enough quantity, never enough quality. The Exercise Police are always inside my head, calling me a slacker and demanding MORE MORE MORE. They remind me that everyone else is doing MORE MORE MORE. You did 10 minutes? Great! Now do 15 more!!! When does it stop? If I already feel like I'm being tortured, why would I want to do MORE MORE MORE?

3) Lack of emotional and/or physical results
If I derived enjoyment from exercise, I'd probably be more inclined to do it. If I saw tangible results, I'd probably be more inclined to do it. Sadly for me, I get neither. Gym, classes, personal trainer, workout DvDs, none of it is really enjoyable for me.

I haven't seen any real, measureable results. I'm not asking for extraordinary results (although extraordinary results would probably motivate me to do MORE MORE MORE ). I just want to get a payoff commensurate with the effort I expend. And, aside from clothes feeling ever so slightly looser, I'm just not getting that.

I've also never, ever gotten that endorphin rush everyone promises, even when I do MORE MORE MORE. I've gone to classes and mingled with super sweaty spandex'd tanning booth babes who rub water bottles over their foreheads while grinning from ear to ear and proclaiming how Grrrrreat! they feel. Me, on the other hand, all I ever feel is drained and gross (and inadequate, because I don't feel grrrreat!). I've never, ever felt grrrreat after exercise. That leads me to the next point.

4) Sweat
I absolutely positively hate being sweaty. Plain and simple. Don't like the feeling at all. I avoid getting sweaty whenever I can. Because getting sweaty means that I have to...

5) Shower (and head to toe lotioning) after
It's required. I can't bring myself to just towel off and slap on more deoderant and cologne. I'd spend the rest of the day or night worrying that I was stinky and offending others. All together, it just sucks up soooooo much of the day.

So, all of this bundled together leads me to conclude I have some sort of Exercise Anxiety. I dread (in advance) how I know I'm going to feel after (yucky), so I avoid because I don't want to intentionally make myself feel so yucky for no tangible payoff. Then, I feel guilty for not doing it. So I end up feeling bad either way.

((sigh)) Don't think I've resolved anything with all this, but I guess it helps to try to sort through my thoughts. Thanks for your help.

Oh, and I'm one of those "older" people... and I don't walk like a snail .