Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-09-2006, 08:19 AM   #16  
Keep going Keep going

S/C/G: 240/191.5/150

I am telling you My when I had my first boxing class I was hooked I think I am going to take up more classes a week I love it makes me feel great. I didn't think I was going to like it.
NikM789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:17 PM   #17  
No description available.

Nancy, One of the reasons I was inspired to join Taekwondo was that there were many women of different sizes and ages already involved...and they were having a blast. My club is very family friendly and that was important to me. No one expects me to be a brilliant athlete...but now that I am doing it, I feel kinda like an athlete....shhhh....don't tell anyone! Age and size don't matter...simply a willingness to do your best and work hard. One of the ladies has lost 60 pounds simply from increasing her activity level with TKD. I know I am already stronger and more flexible...and I have more endurance too.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 12:05 AM   #18  

Hi,

I just started Shaolin Kung-Fu a few weeks ago. It's just amazing how quickly my balance and flexibility have returned! I enjoy it so much, I go anytime I have someone to watch the kids (2-3 times/week). Although somehow I have managed to gain 8.5lbs! The other guy in the class who started at about the same time gained 10. I don't know what a back kick is, but I am having a hard enough time with round snap kicks and what not.. and all the squatting!
sleepyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 05:13 AM   #19  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Hi sleepy me!

I think the gain might be water retention in your muscles, when you suddenly start exercising you puff up a bit, because your muscles are trying to repair themselves and they need that fluid and nutrients to help. I wouldn't worry about it, your shape will change dramatically, so don't worry too much about the scales!

I took a double class last night and my muscles have popped out to say hello again! After a week off they were looking VERY saggy! I did the plank for a whole minute, which is a first (I think) for me, and I held the side plank the longest in the ladies class. We were pretty much conditioning last night, although we did do some strange kicks too, and I got to practice my stuff for my next grading. I seem to have improved without practicing... I love it when that happens!

I've had my private lesson cancelled (the instructor's wife's just had a baby), so I am FREEEEEEEEEEE on Saturday. I can't think what to do... I might go for a run!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 08:12 AM   #20  
aka Superwoman!

I'm letting you all in on a little-known secret!

I get bruised CONSTANTLY at kickboxing, and at any other time come to think of it, I'm clumsy and I bruise easily! Anyway, I read that drinking pineapple juice every day helps bruises go away quickly. I smacked my arm yesterday on something and it went all pale blue, like it was going to come up in some nice interesting colours. This morning it's pale yellow/brown like it will fade soon. So no more bruise for me!

I'm quite dissapointed - I missed all the pretty colours, but at least I won't look like I've gone a few rounds with tyson!
Old 03-10-2006, 08:56 AM   #21  
Keep going Keep going

Default Ouch

Well Girls my 1st kickboxing class last night OUCH is all I can say. If I have to kick that bag one more time put a pillow under my because I am about to fall.
I am a little swore not as much is I thought I would be but probably because I do Boxing. But wow intense LOVED IT but intense.

BUT on a good Note TGIF...LOL
Old 03-10-2006, 11:20 AM   #22  

LOL about the bruising. We do an exercise called "wooden man blocking" where basically you do all your blocks at once. When you don't have a partner, you use the metal pole. I did this so much last night that my forearms were bright red. Sifu has stuff he uses for bruises, which is some powder mixed with jack daniels, and it reeks, but everyone swears it works. I passed on the offer, but I didn't bruise. They also have these instruments, they look like wire whisks, but have thicker and more rods. Anyways, they use this to "condition" the forearms and shins. I'm scared of when I'll have to start using those.

It must be water. I'm not fatter, I swear I'm not. How do I deflate? Oooh, my glutes hurt.
sleepyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 01:19 PM   #23  
aka Superwoman!

That whisk sounds odd...

You'll deflate when your body's good and ready! When it gets used to the exercise it'll be all ok!

I had a day off training today because of instructor's baby! I might squeeze in some weights, so I can get back in the swing of things. Then I'm going to have a nice nap with Wallace and Gromit and perhaps David Attenborough, if I can be bothered to watch more ants!
Old 03-12-2006, 04:50 PM   #24  
No description available.

I am SORE today, in my gluts! Yesterday I did an hour of kick cardio/pilates and then an hour of TKD. Whoooo. I also did 45 minutes on the elliptical today, the glut trainer emphasis. It will be interesting to see if I can walk tomorrow!

The plank is hard! I haven't figured out which muscles it uses yet, cause it is just hard. My wrists hurt the most the few seconds I have done it.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 06:47 AM   #25  
aka Superwoman!

Have you tried the plank resting on your forearms? You clasp your hands together and make a kind of triangle with your forearms - elbows under shoulders and hands together. Then it just hurts your abs!
Old 03-14-2006, 07:28 AM   #26  
aka Superwoman!

Hello!

I was teaching littlies their grading things last night. I've just realised I think I taught them wrong! Wupps! They won't remember! One has ADD and the other one is about 4! Ah I'll tell 'em it right next week.

Got training tonight - I'm super-hydrating. I'm on my 5th pint of water so far! It might help with my kickboxing hangover!
Old 03-14-2006, 08:56 AM   #27  
Keep going Keep going

Default Its offical

I finally got my Membership Card for Assembly of the Fighting Arts.
Can't figure why I am so happy about that...LOL I have Boxing tonight. If
I make is It is like 100 degreed in this office I am sweating everywhere.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:09 AM   #28  
aka Superwoman!

Wooo! You're all insured and things now then? You are a proper martial artist now

I want to try proper boxing too. That's next on my list after my 2nd dan black belt! I'm only orange/red at the moment, so it will take a while!
Old 03-16-2006, 11:11 AM   #29  
Keep going Keep going

2nd dan black belt huh YOU GO GIRL. Is it Friday Yet I have kickboxing tonight so not wanting to go TOM is in the building but I guess I will suck it up pop some pills and go...LOL And if I get pains I will just ake it out on somebody
Old 03-17-2006, 03:38 AM   #30  
aka Superwoman!

I've got my Red Belt test tomorrow. I've still got a long way to go to 2nd dan black! Funny thing, my instructor last night asked when I wanted to do my grading, so I said tomorrow. Then I have no time to stress out about it, and no time to practise!

I have enough crap to deal with today so I think I'll go home and go to bed.