Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-21-2005, 10:30 AM   #1  
I CAN do it!!

S/C/G: 175/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

Default Winter Workouts.....for a cold canadian girl!

What kind of exercise does everyone do in the winter? I live in Quebec, Canada, so it's quite cold, lots of snow, and I am not about to be jogging, walking, or anything really outside in 2 feet of snow, ice and slush!!

At the same time, it seems that everything costs so much, so I find it hard to stick with classes or gyms, as I really can't afford it...
Any indoor exercise ideas?

Thanks!!!
Megan
MeganMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:37 AM   #2  
Lovin' Life

S/C/G: 300/too much/155

skiing? I really miss having cross country trails close by. How about a trampoline, they give you an awesome workout or a jump rope? Browse thru the video workouts.
RobinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 12:38 PM   #3  

Hi, When it's raining or cold out, I just put on loud, upbeat music and just keep moving. I do some punching and kicking for kickboxing, some standard aerobic stuff like jumping jacks, high knees etc, running in place, grapevine, etc. I also do dancey stuff too. I just keep moving no matter what! I set a timer and don't let my self stop until 40 minutes has gone by.
Cherryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 12:50 PM   #4  
wannaBaloser

Default Winter workouts

Megan,
Just walking can be useful--if the snow is not too deep. Or find a mall to walk indoors. The array of tapes to work out with can be intimidating. First decide what you want: cardio work out, strength building, flexibility workout and then choose the ones you like best. I have some of each to help me work out. I have a Leslie Sansone Walking tape ( walking in home) I have several flexibility tapes (stretching and some yoga)---but i am looking for a good hand-weight work out tape. Ask your friends and family if they have tapes you can borrow to try out before you buy--check and see if a video store has some to rent to try out before you buy. A stationary bike can help or as someone said a jumprope is a great work out. The hardest part will be the motivating of yourself. If you cannot afford a long-term contract with a gym, check out if they have a day-pass thing and try to go once a week or twice a month. When you go talk with the instructors and get all the advice you can to use at home with your work outs. Most of them are very helpful. Check with your friends and see if they have some equipment they are not using and beg, borrow or buy if you can. Once a week find a tall building and spend 20 min just climbing the stairs, it can be an amazing workout. Sometimes the creativity of just finding some interesting places can be an adventure. Is there some place you can drive to and walk, or do some kind of work out. Dont limit yourself, be open to interesting and different things to do.

best of luck,

wannaBa loser
wannaBaloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:20 PM   #5  
I CAN do it!!

S/C/G: 175/ticker/145

Height: 5'8

Thanks guys for all your ideas!
I will take a look into those. I think it is mainly a daunting thing to be stuck inside, or at least not have great outdoor weather sports to do, and not have a clue where to start.
I am a big fan of sports as a form of exercise. I hate jogging, lifting weights, things like that. I will try to ski as much as I can afford this year and maybe skating too? If it's cold, there must be ice!!
I am just starting out with my exercise program, so I feel like I will try and put it off come the cold weather if I don't start planning now. Though there are some tapes I would like to try, so I'll convince my roommate to join me in trying them, instead of standing in the doorway laughing at me writhing, huffing and puffing around on the living room floor....lol.
Again, thanks guys! This place is just amazing for support!

Megan
MeganMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 12:31 AM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Megan, you're from Montreal and I am an hour away from you 20 minutes away from the Ontario border, the cold here is just as bad as there. I don't let anything stop me from going in the great white winter wonder land. I actually prefer to work out in the -20 to -30C weather. The only trick is to bundle up and go out! I jog now but for years I walked and walked in the snow. If it was too deep I would walk on the street. If you live in Centre Montreal you can walk downtown and window shop. I love to walk or run in the snow as the workout is more difficult and it's like walking/running in the sand. I also ski.

Don't let the weather deter you from bundling up and going out to get some fresh air.
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:58 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 230/230/130

Height: 5'3"

If you have a PS2, for cardio you can play Dance Dance Revolution. It has a calorie tracker mode and it's alot of fun. You don't have to start off on the insanely hard mode like you see the kids in the mall doing either. It has a beginner mode that's really easy, but still gets your heart rate up. I like it because you really only have to have enough room to lay the mat down and not to kick anything once you get going. Plus the music is great!
knitbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:21 PM   #8  
hara hachi bu

Default Excellent Post!

Thank you for posting this. I was wondering this myself recently.

Here are some things I haven't tried recently, but might work for you:
  • ice skating
  • snowshoeing or hiking
  • have a snowball fight with a kid
  • build a snowman or a snow fort

Here are some things I'm going to try this winter:
  • going for a walk (weather permitting) at holiday get-togethers
  • mall walking on weekends
  • skyway walking on lunch breaks (Minneapolis has a great skyway system)
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote