Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-14-2005, 09:15 AM   #1  

Default Indoor Cheap Workout: gazelle or trampoline??

So winter is coming and, while I plan on doing my cardio outdoors as much as possible, one cannot excape those days with too much snow on the ground here in the mid-west. I'd like to buy a cheap alternative and am thinking of either the gazelle or a mini-trampoline -- because they are CHEAP! I am in my 13th week of exercising (this time around) and pretty fit, despite my size. I am now doing HIIT. Would either of work for me? Oh, we don't have a TV so videos will not work for us. TIA.
irishgreengables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 02:14 PM   #2  

Well...for me the gazelle has been wonderful. I purchased it back in February when I decided to get serious about this weight loss. I was at 190 or so then. Along with changing my eating plans and the gazelle twice a day for 30 mins. I see a big difference. I am at 164 now. I also walk outdoors but the gazelle really works me out, my arms, my legs...all of me. I see a difference in my butt...which is sadly pretty flat, but its starting to show shape after using the gazelle. I also notice a big difference in my inner thighs that no longer rub together. So if I had to choose again, I'd purchase the gazelle for sure. Thats just my opinion...hope you get what you need/want and do well with it!!
shydoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:35 PM   #3  
We're TTC!!

S/C/G: 303/281/Goal#1:271

Height: 5'3"

My SIL gave me her Gazelle, which is in great shape and I have been using it for a couple months now. I really like it and think its a great, fun workout. I have a cd player holder thing that goes around my waist and I listen to upbeat music while I workout. JMO, opinion, though. I do wish that I knew how many calories it burns!
rebelridergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:26 PM   #4  
the muse of memory

I bought a gazelle about a month ago. At just under $100, it was supercheap (!) and it fits (sort of) in a closet-of-sorts downstairs. It helps me get cardio first thing in the morning when I'm half-dressed and un-showered, and I use it evenings too if it's too dark for me to walk. I do like it and I am more intense w/it than I am walking, but it also has some drawbacks. The motion is weird, and sometimes after I finish a workout, I feel like I'm still in motion. It's a bit like climbing off a boat onto dry land, and still feeling the movement of the ocean beneath your feet. I also a think that a motion natural range of motion might be better for the joints than the constant "no-impact" extension that your ankles and knees take on the Gazelle, but it's working for me at the moment...

If you're really quite fit, you might consider the baby tramp. I thought about it, but was worried that it would be too difficult for me considering my weight and that I would get discourage, making it counterproductive.

Hmm. You might also try your local Freecycle group (go to Freecycle.org and search for your local group). I've seen several treadmills offered on mine lately, b/c the people don't have the space. I'd love a treadmill, but at the moment I don't have the space either. Maybe once I finish fixing up the second bedroom.
mnemosyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:22 PM   #5  

While the mini trampoline does sound like loads of fun, I'd have to go with the Gazelle. I absolutely love mine, and wouldn't trade it for the world. I actually have one with the resistance, which is a bit more expensive usually, but I bought mine out of the paper for $100.00, so I got a pretty good deal. Maybe you could buy one of them now, then get the other one later so you can have something else to do if you get bored?

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 05:31 PM   #6  
prepare for the BEST time

I've never tried the Gazelle (any model)...

I have the Urban Rebounder and love it for the fact that I can do high impact aerobics and get my HR UP without hurting my old knees or back...It's much harder than you think to maintain a pace, so i do interval type training with wt. sets in between.
marbleflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:26 AM   #7  

Thanks so much for this. I went ahead and got the UR with the intention of getting the gazelle after Christmas bonus. I am so excited to get my UR for now!!
Old 10-21-2005, 11:37 AM   #8  

Did you order the one from HSN? with the springs instead of elastic and stabilizer bar?
Old 10-21-2005, 01:17 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbleflys
Did you order the one from HSN? with the springs instead of elastic and stabilizer bar?
I did. I was tempted to get a cheaper one, but read too many negative reviews.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:30 PM   #10  

Good! i originally bought the $20.00 elastic version from Wally-mart...and really HURT MY BACK!!! worthless, unless you weigh only 40 lbs.

The UB is very well made ( my cats love to sleep on it when I'm not using it)...I always do it barefoot..but you probably should wear sneakers...but on some good old rock/roll and see if you don't crack a sweat within 5 mins.

One of the best moves (for me) is to hold the stab. bar lightly and really raise each leg up in a high jog...if you point your feet outward slightly you will feel it on the side of the buttisimo.

heel digs also work nicely, a bit lower impact.

I can work at a higher target range which I hope burns more calories..I'll be back to it as soon as I recover from my back sprain pain. I can't do a thing for the last 2 days.

Good luck, enjoy and let me know how you like it....
Old 10-21-2005, 01:34 PM   #11  

Oh no. Tell me more about your back because I have heard people say you should not do this if you have a bad back. But then others have said it's great for a bad back if you do it right. Your thoughts?
Old 10-21-2005, 01:42 PM   #12  

Relax Irish....it's the springs that make the difference...the elastic has no give, it's stiff. the cheap WM version wasn't comfortable.....the UB has spring construction, it's much better.

I am "older than dirt" (just ask my daughter, I'm 48) and have knee /joint issues...the UB is perfect.