Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-22-2005, 08:56 PM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by funniegrrl
You know that's not only unethical, but also illegal, right? If you want a copy of a video you need to purchase it, even if you purchase a used copy.
Wait, I'm confused. I thought that if she's just using it, and she paid for it once, she could make a copy of it to use for her own self? 'Fair use backup' or something? Am I wrong? I mean, I can burn things onto my iPod, right, and that's making a copy...?
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 09:11 PM   #17  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I just figure even the lurkers on a thread have right to their money's worth...

actually I guess I should add my opinion...if I'm here already...

mousie - I think she only rented it - that's why she had to make a copy?

I do think that if ya want something that someone spent time and money creating and is trying to sell you should pay for it...

Now on to the real reason we can here in the first place...ellipticals being boring...at the gym they have nifty flat screens and cable...the only problem is one time I was watching Comedy Central and I almost fell off I was laughing so hard...so be careful out there...maybe stick to recent SNL...anything after Dana Carvey left....

Flipafart....WTF is that screen name? I've tried and tried...it just makes me giggle..thanks!!
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 06:28 AM   #18  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

I use the elliptical at my gym, but I have to go mid-afternoon (between jobs), so the only thing on the tvs there are soap operas, which I can't stand! So instead, I listen to music on my iPod and read girly magazines (Cosmo, MarieClaire, etc.). I find that those magazines (especially Cosmo) have just the right balance of long articles and trashy little quizzes and blurbs to keep me interested for at least 30-40 minutes--plus, I've learned more about G-spots, orgasms, and the best hairstyles to catch the man of my dreams than I ever cared to know
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 02:53 PM   #19  

I decided that I was bored with exercise equipment too so I'm taking some time off! Instead I started taking the stairs in my office 3 times a day (9 floors), going for walks after lunch and dinner, and still doing the ab rolling. I say switch it up so it's not so darn boring!
futurecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:42 PM   #20  

Default ...tgif

FlipaFart = ditto to Gina.....

About the copy rights topic, I will not comment since the last 'hot' topic on my normal thread wasn't fun.... And I like to stick to fun...

About doing cardio machines, I do treadmill, elliptical and recumbent bike at the gym. It is a 'discount gym' and so they have tv's but you can't hear them So I listen to music and sometimes talk to the person next to me (we all know one another). I can't really read magizines, cuz Im usually going too fast, but I do look at the pictures

I guess if someone ask me what I do for fun, it wouldn't be cardio on a machine, but hey a chick has to do - what she has to do

I recently joined a Jazzercise class. It was mainly so my DSIL would start to workout. Well guess who didn't sign up NO DSIL - just me, so now I workout in the morning before work and 3 nights a week I'm at Jazzercise. The funny thing is, I thought it would be way to easy for me, well it's not. I guess using the machines as opposed to using your body is different, becuz this chick works up a good 'glow'.....
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 04:51 PM   #21  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

I do the ellliptical 3 times a week for 30 - 45 minutes and find that the best way to beat boredom is to varying "what I do" so I don't get bored -- meaning how I do the elliptical AND what I do to occupy my mind. I find that going backwards on the elliptical (at the highest elevation) distracts me a bit because I need to focus on staying in the "groove" as I find it a bit difficult. I also sometimes challenge myself to do the entire 30 - 45 minutes without holding the handles (which has the added benefit of working some of your abs), and I REALLY have to focus on staying balanced -- so that's a distraction, too. Sometimes I listen to music, sometimes I read, and sometimes I study for school.

And sometimes I'm bored ANYWAY and when I reach THAT point, I watch myself in the mirror (which is across from the machine) and think "Okay, soon those hips will be smaller" and things like that.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:58 PM   #22  
(Male)

Height: 5'9.5"

First, I try to use the elliptical only as a last resort. I find basketball much less boring.

However, when I do use the elliptical, I have two general strategies:

1) If the intensity is high enough, I don't get bored. Once I'm up at 70-80% MHR I don't have to worry about boredom.

2) Distraction - books, tv, music, (discreetly!) looking at hotties in the gym. It's interesting that if my intensity gets high enough (see #1) I can't focus on any of these distractions.
Jman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:51 PM   #23  
redhead veggie

I've been doing the elliptical a lot recently and the only thing that gets me going after that fifteen minutes is the fact that I already did fifteen minutes, so fifteen more can't be that bad!

And I count down like a fiend. 14 minutes, 30 seconds...

Someday I'll like the exercise thing, but until I can, then I'm just going to make myself do it! It's only 30 minutes! Then do something fun, like crunches! (jk!... sorta)
superchar42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:56 PM   #24  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchar42
I'm just going to make myself do it! It's only 30 minutes! Then do something fun, like crunches! (jk!... sorta)
Actually, this works for me (I know you were JK), but you reminded me of
why I do the elliptical FIRST when I get to the gym. I LOVE weight training (I always have), so another one of my self-motivators is that I "get" to weight train once I finish the elliptical. That probably won't work for a lot of people, but it works for me. Usually . I also do the "I just did 15 minutes, so I can definitely do 15 or 20 more" thing. That helps, too.
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote