Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-29-2005, 12:05 PM   #1  

Default Bikram yoga advice needed

Hi,

I have a following dilemma. I am doing yoga for 6 years and was teaching for about 3. I am not a flexible person but I love yoga and feel great after the practice. Recenltly I felt exhausted after my classes - mainly I felt like I am giving too much away without leaving anything for myself - so I applied for silent year in teaching. Finally after 3 years of structured classes I am able to go and discover the world of yoga.

I tried some classes and did not like them. I am advanced student by now - most of the classes are beginners. Some of them ar OK, but I feel bored after about 2 classes and don't like to come again. Most of them make you pay for session after first class which is free, and so far I still did not find one which I would like to invest. So I am doing my practises are home alone (which is rewarding but I'd like to use my silent year to learn something from other instructors too). Yesterday I walked into Bikram yoga studio. I always thought that the idea of doing yoga practise in heated room is weird, but after it started to be warm outside and freezing cold in my office due to air conditioning, idea of warm yoga practise seemed attractive.

Does somebody tried it? How do you feel? Do you like it? It is only so many poses - do you get bored? They are quite expensive - is it worth the money?

Any advices will be appreciated. Please also if you have any ideas - I am asthmatic - mainly sport induced asthma - is it making things worse or better. Also, I am a "warm" person - I sometimes microwave my tomatoes to make them warm - so probably I will like the temperature...

Thanks,
Sandy.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 09:24 AM   #2  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

i have done yoga for a number of years off and on and love the bikram style. it is tough though, but you being an advanced student would not have the problems it think most would just beginning. it is a little wierd at first in a heated room, but it does help the muscles stretch further so be careful of your limits.

my concern would be with the bordom...why are you bored? what are you needing that you are not getting from the class? i find that when i am bored it maybe that i am on a break through in my practice. (I am currently in a slump...big time...but that is because there are things in my life i need to figure out)

just some thoughts.....
metta,
kat
ckatgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 01:33 AM   #3  

Bikram yoga got me in shape like nothing else ever has. I felt amazing, clear headed and looked fantastic when I was doing it.

I never got bored and felt that each time I did it, no matter how much better I became, there were still new and interesting challenges.

I loved it but had to stop due to a very rare medical problem I have. The yoga was causing my joints to slip out of place.

But I do miss doing it a lot and would do it again if I could.

I must it admit though, it is pretty expensive.
cobweb is offline   Reply With Quote