Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-05-2005, 09:17 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 10"

Default Curves Question

Hi - I'm new to this forum, but I have been reading journals and forum entries for a long time. I joined WW back in late January and so far lost about 25 lbs. - I was really super motivated so I then went and joined Curves and thought it was pretty good. I've never been a fan of exercise so I was really excited when I discovered I actually liked it. My only problem now is that since I joined my weight doesn't seem to be going down as steadily. I would love to know what people think of Curves and see if they think it is as effective as I thought it would be. Thanks.
FeelingGood05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 11:01 PM   #2  
Ilene the Bean

Hi FeelingGood05 Welcome to 3FC... Sounds to me like you've reached a weight loss plateau...As you do the same things over and over, same exercise, same foods, etc, day-in-day-out your body gets used to it and stops or slows down in its weight loss...

Here are a couple of suggestions:

1... Change up your workout. I'm not sure if this is doable with Curves, in a regular gym you would lift heavier, change your workout around, do different exercises.

2... Add a very brisk walk during the day or on alternate days from Curves.

3... Change up your food intake don't eat always the same foods.

4... Eat more often 5-6 small meals in a day instead of 3 square meals.

Here is a very informative site for you to look over...
http://www.fitfaq.com/index.html

Hope this helps...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 10:28 PM   #3  

You could try the power workout at Curves. If your branch doesn't have one let me know, I can tell you how we do it at the one I belong to. It is an awesome workout and you can do it a couple of times a week. It really revs things up and you feel great after.
yoyogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 12:12 PM   #4  

Yoyogirl - could you tell us all more about the power workout?
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 06:45 PM   #5  

Hey Im curious myself about this power workout. Please share.
ItstimeforME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 07:01 PM   #6  
back on the wagon

S/C/G: 196.2/187.8/115

Height: 5'1.5''

Yes, share about the power workout!
lateralus98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:37 PM   #7  

The power workout takes about 45 minutes. You do each machine three times in a row with a recovery station between each set. Example:leg press,recovery,leg press,recovery and so on. You still do all of the machines it is just more intense since you do the same machine three times in a row before changing. (So you don't hold other people up, if there is someone in front or behind you just do an extra recovery until they finish.) You really do feel great after you finish.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:37 AM   #8  

YoYogirl -Thanks for sharing the power workout.
FeelingGood- I also do weight watchers and Curves. I experienced the same thing you did when I joined Curves. I didn't lose any weight for one month. I was doing the Core Program and I have know switched to the Flex Plan to see if I can get things going again. However I feel so much better and my meds for diabetes have been cut in half. I am going to add a 3 mile walk on Saturday mornings which I can do with my DH. Are things moving for you again?
Mercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:27 AM   #9  

Wow...that power workout sounds great...
I wonder if my Curves would give it a try...
I would imagine that you would need to set up a specific time to be able to do it so you don't mess anyone else up..

Di
didi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 12:37 PM   #10  

Thanks,I do some machines twice if there is no one around me. We also have the hoop I told you all about then I do some crunches and Butt workouts Im usually done after an hour and half.
ItstimeforME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 11:05 PM   #11  

didi123 - you really don't need a specific time to do the workout if you just look out for other members around you and if someone is near your station you just do an extra recovery station until they finish. That is one reason why it takes a little longer. Not only do you get a more intense strength workout you get in extra cardio as well. (Just remember this is not meant to replace the original curves workout it just gives you a little boost)
Old 05-02-2005, 04:13 PM   #12  

Thanks Yoyogirl....I just saw your response today. I may give it a shot..since there are many times when I go and there aren't alot of women there....
I appreciate your explanation..

Di
didi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:25 AM   #13  
JesusFreak

Height: 5' 11"

I joined curves about 2 months ago. I loved going but my ankles were REALLY hurting and started to swell........ VERY BAD!!!! On Easter I went to the emergency room and found that I had torn all of the LIGAMENTS in BOTH legs. Yes BOTH legs. The doctor told me that EVERYTHING that adjoined to my achiles was TORN! Also I had tendenitous. I went in and told the people at Curves and we realized that the leg press is what caused this problem. I am 5'11" and the trainer failed to tell me the machine was designed for a 5'5" person and that I needed to put a cushion in between my legs for it to work properly on me. Needless to say.... I loved CURVES, but now I am in the recovery stage of my injury and I am TERRIFIED to go back!!!

Last edited by ncjenni; 05-04-2005 at 10:24 AM.
ncjenni is offline   Reply With Quote