Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-29-2005, 12:09 PM   #1  
We're TTC!!

S/C/G: 303/281/Goal#1:271

Height: 5'3"

Default Curves gym-type question

About 2 weeks ago I joined a local gym that is very much like Curves with the stations that you go around 3 times. I really like it. It makes my heart pump harder and I get a little sweaty. I do the stations each time I visit, which varies from 3-6 days a week (depending on my schedule). Also, I normally do a 25 minute walk @ 3.5 speed, 3-4 mins on the elliptical, and 5-10 mins of the recumbent bike. Sometimes I am in a huge rush and can only fit in the stations and no cardio. My question is...do you think that I am getting enough of a resistance workout in? Do I also need to add free weights? When I do the cardio and stations it usually takes a little over an hour as it is. I am just hoping that my workout is well rounded enough. If anyone has any other suggestions please do so! Thank you!
rebelridergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:35 PM   #2  

well, I've been going to curves since June 30th, 2004 and I'll just say some of their beliefs... you might not agree with them- Personally I do, because I've seen it work for me and so many other women.

"It makes my heart pump harder and I get a little sweaty."
Make sure you keep your heart rate in target range because if not, you're just burning the muscle you're building... your heart rate has to be in range in order to burn FAT.

"Sometimes I am in a huge rush and can only fit in the stations and no cardio"
The curves model is set up in 30 seconds. is this how this gym is? Curves believes that your muscles can only sprint at their peak for 30 seconds and you need 30 seconds of cardio (the recovery station)- jogging in place or whatever in order to recover. When you said you do the stations, does that mean the recovery stations as well? you really should if you don't...

and yes, i think your workout sounds well rounded. I've just been doing curves 5x a week and owe my success to that and low carb dieting. I recently started doing the gazelle 30 minutes in the evening too because I want my thighs to be more toned than they are, and I got really good results when I was doing the gazelle before.

keep it up!
KandiceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:37 PM   #3  

That's a tough question. It's my personal opinion that those types of gyms are great for people who are nervous about going to a traditional gym, want a woman-only environment, or who just have never really exercised before and need something "easy" and fast. It's the something-is-better-than-nothing theory.

Only you can really answer the question about whether or not the resistance part is "enough." When you are doing weight training the idea is to work the muscles to failure, or close to. You are trying to overload the muscle being worked so that it breaks down a bit and the repair process makes the muscle stronger. You are supposed to wait at least 48 hours before working that muscle again to allow the repairs to take place. If you are not waiting a day between these circuits, you may be defeating the purpose if you ARE working close to failure. If you're not working to failure, you're not doing any harm but you're not really building muscle strength, either.

So, what if you suspect the circuit is not sufficient for you to build strength? I would not ADD free weights, but I would do weights INSTEAD of the circuit. Continue with your cardio and add weights. You can still get a good well-rounded workout in an hour. Are there trainers at this gym who could help you build a weight routine? If not, take a look at the Kathy Smith book Lift Weights to Lose Weight. This book (and the videos by the same name) have good, efficient beginner routines.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:22 PM   #4  
We're TTC!!

funniegirl- I guess I never thought of joining the gym as "It's the something-is-better-than-nothing theory" When joining I was actually pretty positive about doing it and had been working out at home for a few months before that, so I'm used to doing some exercise. I really (no matter how fit) LOATE exercise. I thought that being in a gym setting would maybe teach me to have fun with it and meet other like-minded people. Basically, when I do the circuits I dont feel "worked" in my arms. Sometimes I do in the abs and legs. So, that's why I'm not sure if it's the right thing for me. I do...weird enough...feel more toned than I have with jogging at home. Even my mom commented on that. I am going to have to check out that video you mentioned b/c I know very little about weight training.

KandiceS-Thanks for pointing all that out about the target heart range...and yes I do the recovery stations, too.

Thanks ladies for helping me out! There are so many comflicting ideas with diet and exercise sometimes I feel like I am doing the right things then I find out I was wrong!
Old 03-29-2005, 06:16 PM   #5  

Of course starting any kind of exercise program, even working in more daily activity, is a positive step. You made my point exactly -- that Curves and similar facilities offer an alternative to people who don't like exercise at all or who have never done it. However, as you've found, those programs aren't optimal for long-term overall fitness. Yes, you are absolutely burning calories and building stamina and probably a little muscle too at this point. You should certainly feel proud for taking a step to do something you don't like for the sake of your health. So I did not mean to dismiss that aspect, I was just trying to answer your question and tell you the reasons behind my answer.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:29 AM   #6  
We're TTC!!

I agree with you totally and probably within a year (or sooner) I will be more in the habit of exercise and in better shape that I will move on to a more conventional gym or take up another form of exercise. At some point I will need to challenge myself even more. Right now the challenge for me is just doing it! LOL. I guess that the type of exercise isn't set in stone and from month to month we all tend to change what we do and challenge ourselves more. I am REALLY hoping to start enjoying exercise!! I think that the gym, for now, is helping. Thanks for your advice!
Old 04-01-2005, 03:04 AM   #7  
Do or Do Not

S/C/G: 302/267/135

Height: 5'5

I have to disagree with u funni.... i was at a gym for over 2 years, doing hours and hours of cardio and lifting weight 2 to 3 times a week. I was also going to aerobic classes that my gym offered. Recently i tried curves and LOVED it, and im use to excercise and spending tons of times. Its different than a regular gym because the machines are NOT like free weights, which dont make you sore...why most people dont think they are getting a workout. It is a resistance machine, the more reps the harder you work. Anyway, you just made it sound like people who do curves or other gyms like that, dont want to spend the time to excercise...or dont know how. Its a different setting....everyone i know thats tried it (even my old personal trainer) LOVES it... you get what you want out of it though...anyway....

have a nice week everyone!!=)
CutieCourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 07:08 AM   #8  

I really enjoy curves and have dropped 30 inches since Dec 28th. I tell ya if I was to work with weights right now I would look TOO buff and gross. Still need to drop the pounds and when I get to goal I will work with weights. Im focused on fat loss and inches right now.
ItstimeforME is offline   Reply With Quote