Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-04-2005, 12:04 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Question How to measure fat percentage?

I hope it's all right to post this here?

Several people in this forum have persuaded me to think that fat percentage is much more important than pounds, especially when doing strength training. I want to know that I'm losing fat and building muscle, especially when I'm in a plateau like right now.

That said, I'm having trouble finding an accurate way to measure my fat at home. I know there are some calculations on the web, but they have never jived with what I'm told by the fat analyzers at my doctor's and nutritionist's offices.

What is the best way to analyze fat percentage? I've been thinking of purchasing one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...301599-7403213

Or would calipers be better? The product above is very similar to the type of fat measurement our doctor's office uses.

Thanks, chicks!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 12:39 PM   #2  

Calipers are supposedly better, but only when used by a very well-trained and experienced person, and I don't think you can use a caliper device on yourself successfully.

I know a lot of people here aren't fans of Tanitas or other electronic body fat monitors, but used under the right conditions according to the directions provided the Tanita scales aren't bad. (Tanita basically invented the technology, so I'd trust them over other brands. You might visit their web site to read up on it.) Also, I would be sure that I got the right scale for me -- they have different scales for "average" people vs. athletic types. The thing to remember about any measurement device (except possibly the water tank method) is that they can have a variance of up to 5 percentage points even when used perfectly. So, it's not something to use every day or even every week, but once a month or so.

And yes, body fat % is the best way to measure fitness/size rather than weight. Weight is much too general.
funniegrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 01:37 PM   #3  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

www.mybodycomp.com

great site!
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 06:17 PM   #4  
I can do this!

Thanks, Funniegrrl. Do you think that the scales you step on are more accurate than the kind you hold in front of you (like the link I posted)?

Looks like a great site, Lottie! Thanks!
Old 02-08-2005, 04:07 PM   #5  

The omron body fat analyzers are actually pretty good, much better than the scales. But read the directions carefully for the best results. Of course calipers are a bit better (when used by the right people), but submersion tests are the best. I'm glad you decided to track body fat rather than pounds. If you hit those weights hard the change in your body should be dramatic.
Alisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 10:59 AM   #6  
I can do this!

Okay, so calipers are best, but only if used by trained people. Does anyone use calipers on their own body, or do you need it to be done by someone else? Could a husband or friend be trained to do this or would it need to be someone at a fitness club?

Barring that, the hand-held fat analyzers are better than the scales. Did I summarize that right?
Old 02-28-2005, 02:07 PM   #7  

Thanks Lottie...I will give it a try.
apriltx is offline   Reply With Quote