Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-26-2004, 02:47 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 196.3/185.2/160

Height: 5'4"

Question Recumbent Excercise Bicycles

Hi ya....

I was just wondering if anyone out there has a recumbent bike (stationary) and if so which one ? What are the pros and cons of your bike?

I am planning on buying one for myself, but I thought I would check on everyone's input first.

Thank you!
JSorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 04:58 PM   #2  

Default Best to try them out first

I had an upright bike for 12 years or so. I tried several recumbents in the store and didn't like the pressure they put on my knees.

Everyone's different, though. I've heard recumbents are better for the knees, but not in my case. I'd recommend going and trying one out for 20 minutes or so in a store. Each brand is built differently and you may like one more than others. I ended up going with a treadmill finally, which I like...but if I bought a bike again, it would be an upright, IMO.
jaschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 05:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196.3/185.2/160

Height: 5'4"

Default RE: Testing 'em out....

I have a treadmill too...which I enjoy thoroughly (outdoor allergens cause me to have asthma attacks ), but I thought I might check out a couple of bikes for a little variety in the work out. I do plan on trying them out (whichever are on display that is )

For whatever reason, the recumbent bikes are tougher to pedal for me, but much kinder to my rear end. Not to mention, when I get to pedaling on the uprights, some which are not so sturdy, I feel like I'm going to go over with the bike on top of me!

What ever I end up with, I will post for those who are interested. Thanks!
JSorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 06:26 PM   #4  

Have you checked any of the consumer magazines such as consumers reports to see if they have done a recent article about these?

I have both a treadmill as well as upright stationary bike and alternate them when I cant walk or play outdoors.

Jan
jansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 08:49 PM   #5  

My son has a recumbent bike - a Schwinn - don't know the model number or name. It has a computer on it so that you can adjust the difficulty of the pedaling, I think it is done with magnets. I find that it is easier to use than an upright, which hurts my back because of the leaning forward position. The recumbent is just that, there is a slight lean back just as in a regular chair, very comfy. I cycle while watching tv as it takes almost no concentration to do the task; I wouldn't try that on an upright, but again my problem with uprights may be only my problem. There are handles along each side of the chair, so you end up holding on next to your butt. Also there are handle bars in the front that can accomodate a leaning forward position, I have never tried that, as it is just too uncomfortable. You should definitely try out both kinds before buying if you are not sure what you want.
therubyslippers!! is offline   Reply With Quote