Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-12-2004, 10:01 PM   #46  

After reading this thread, I checked around and found some classes in my neighborhood. A new one started August 4th, but I was not motivated to take it yet. I plan to take the one starting in September. She has classes starting every month. I think she said her beginners class was every week for 4 weeks. I just hate to have everyone see my body in spandex! She said no loose clothes so she could be sure we move correctly. Actually I found her class from the Belly Dance link. I hope to be motivated in September. I really do not like exercise.
TerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 10:40 PM   #47  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Thanks Aphil!

Glad you enjoyed your classes nelie!

Terry - I am sure you will enjoy yourself. Why don't you try yoga pants? They are comfortable but not as form fitting as spandex but your teacher will still be able to see you move.
mauvaisroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 08:58 AM   #48  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Yeah-Wal-Mart or about any large retailer sells the yoga style pants. That is what I wear for class also-they are form fitting through the waist and hips-but flare out a little looser through the legs. I think it gives a slimmer look. If you are uncomfortable with wearing a crop top-a lycra blend athletic tank top should be form fitting enough for her to see your chest and ribcage work. I hope you enjoy it! It is a good workout...but fun!

I have some news on the belly dance front...first-I tried the Jillina instructional dvd level 1. This was actually tough-more geared towards the intermediate level dancer that is familiar with all of the basic moves. She runs through a quick 10 min. run down of basics-shimmies, snakes, shoulder shimmies, hip lifts, figure 8s...and then goes directly into putting them into combinations. She doesn't go slow! She goes right into it-and you better keep up! This is more like what we do in my intermediate/advanced classes...I was thinking in my head-"Wow-she is going QUICK...if this is level 1...what is level 2 & 3 going to be like? " It is more of a choreography video as well-the point in it is not to learn basic bellydance moves and practice them-it is to learn certain moves put into combinations-then putting those combinations into a choreography to a certain song. I would recommend this video for someone who has a lot of experience and time with other "beginning videos" to learn all the moves first-because this would be too fast for your first belly dance video. There are some really cute choreography combinations in it though that would be great to throw into your own choreography in the future. It definitely has some merit to it. Plus-she uses some popular belly dance music-such as Hakim in it.
It has a nice set-a hardwood floor with lots of nice rugs and tapestries to warm the place up. Very pretty...not "sterile" like some videos are. I enjoy a video with pretty things to look at. It is a good video when you want to use all of the basic moves that you know and learn how to combine them into a "dance." She is darn cute too...long red hair with little bangs and snow white skin. There is nice performance footage of her doing the dance in full costume at the end of the video as well as an added bonus.

We had our first rehearsal Tuesday night for the Best Of The Midwest show...and we started the choreography. I found out that during this piece (a 9 woman sword balancing act) that a few of us are going to go away from the group during it and do a mini solo...and I am one of the soloists!
Actually-I am the first one! So far-the whole group goes out at certain times and gets into their positions...and then I pretty much make my grand entrance onto the stage and start doing some balancing...then I cycle back into the group and my instructor goes out for her solo part. I am pretty excited about it all. During my part I am doing some knee balancing with some plies...some ribcage work and belly rolls...YIPPEE! I finally get to perform belly rolls!

I am meeting her at the fabric store today to pick up fabric for part of our costumes. I have the belt and skirt done for her assuit costume I am making...when the bra is done I'll take some pics and get them up here for you to see.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 07:03 PM   #49  

Thanks for the info on the yoga pants. That may be more my style. I am sure it is a fun class, but I m not very coordinated, so I may not be able to keep up.
TerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 11:02 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Don't worry...the thing about a live class that differs from doing it at home with a video-is that if you aren't getting something-the instructor can come over and correct you or show you how to do something properly-rather than you just trying to keep up. The basic isolations are usually taught in basics pretty thoroughly as well-so you learn the basic moves before throwing them together into a dance of some sort.
If you have trouble with something-don't despair. Everyone has trouble with something. One person may do beautiful snake arms-but have trouble learning to play zils...another person may be able to do all of the moves easily-but may be corrected a lot on her posture-we all have something that is tough for us.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote