Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-14-2004, 12:45 PM   #31  

HI everyone I have been feeling better. I was albe to get a 5k yesterday and a 35 min today. They call it a tempo run. Start off slow and work up to your speed that you would run in your 10 k. and cool off for 5 min. It went better than yesterdays run.
I am sure hoping to do the 10 k run in Sept. I am trying to get myself in to a training. I found on on the net of a schedual to follow. It is a 10 week program. I am really looking for a good time like under 1 hour. I hope to be able to do that.
Well I hope that the weather gets better for you soon. I am happy that we have a TM. We have had it for3 years and if it was to break down we would have a new one right away.
Well I hope to get a nother run in tomorrow. Some strength trainig in too. Hope that all have a good day today.
Tanya
2cutekids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 10:22 PM   #32  
Persistent and Stubborn

Glad to hear you are feeling better Tanya. It sounds like you are right back into your running. Is it a specific training program that you are doing? Is there a link you could share? I think I have been fooling around long enough and need a little more structure in my training.

I am hoping that the weather gets better soon. Tonight it rained just enough (combined with some other issues for me) to give me an excuse to stay inside. Of course now I feel guilty but at the time sitting in front of the television seemed to be a happier alternative. Sometimes I lack motivation to get things started. I have also been more tired lately. Does anyone else get tired (at the muscular level) when you exercise too much? If so, how long until I am back to normal. My legs just feel like dead weights.

I should go for my 3 mile pub run with my running club tomorrow. Strength training sounds like a good idea too. I keep forgetting to start.

Keep on running. Ang
shyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 06:37 AM   #33  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

Tanya,
10 in 10 sounds really interesting. I'm with Ang - is there a link or name of a book that you can share? My dearest Hubster is planning on a 10K in the fall and I'm always happy to help out by tagging along. Well, tagging behind. But I'm always willing!
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 06:42 AM   #34  
Running Babe

Can I join you guys? I have been running on and off for the last four years... I am planning to do some clinics with the running room this fall. I would love to say one day that "I ran a Marathon"

Cheers!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 06:46 AM   #35  
Running Babe

My goals?

Relative short term (6months) lose the extra weight on me, run a 5 or 10 K and start winter running.

Long term: run a marathon

CheerS!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 09:14 AM   #36  
Persistent and Stubborn

Welcome Ali - we'd love to have you join. What is your present running plan?

Ang
Old 07-15-2004, 03:02 PM   #37  

Hi everyone I had my stomach act up again after my runn. Not happy about that. But so far I am feeling better to now.
Well the one place that I have found info is the runningroom.com and runnersworld.com I hope that will help you all.
Ali good to have you join us. I am glad to see that you have such great goal. I know that it is a great feeling onceyou have done a race. I know that my 5 K was a great feeling to have doneit.
Well I am going to that tomorrow off. I think that I will do my strenght traing. I never got it in today because of the way I felt. I will do a little walking to.
Well great to see everyone nad I hope that everyone has a great day.
tanya
Old 07-15-2004, 09:33 PM   #38  

Default good run today

hi all,

i hope you are feeling better soon tanya. it's good to take it easy when you are feeling sick. walkin is good because it keeps you in the groove. i find sometimes the hardest part is just getting up and doing it: putting on the shoes, walking out the door.

hey ali! i live in ndg in montreal. i'm taking a clinic at the running room right now. i just got back from our 1 min walk, 3 min run and was pleasantly surprised that i could do it. espescially since last week i couldn't complete the programme.

i think their programme is pretty good. i'm taking the learn to run (beginner's) clinic. we meet once a week and there is 1/2 hour talk on some topic and 1.2hour run. every week we add 1 min of running. it's a good incentive to get out and gives you a goal for the week.

ang i was wondering what a 3 mile pub run is? (is it anything like a pub crawl? )

take care
gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:10 PM   #39  
Persistent and Stubborn

hi everyone -

Tanya - what is happening with your stomach? I hope it is just a bug and that you feel all better soon. Good for you that you got to exercise though, hopefully the exercising isn't making it worse. Thanks for the links. I think I will have to check them out. I am always looking for things to inspire and motivate me to be healthy since I don't always find it within myself.

gen - congratulations on finishing your clinic program. Isn't it nice to see progress? All it takes is patience, or so I'm told.

Thank God a pub run is not a pub crawl. We meet at a local pub and run 3 miles, ending at the pub. We go in to have appetizers and drinks (I drink water) after the run. Everyone else in the club is fit so they can afford the calories in the beer but the appetizers are bad enough for me. It's just a fun run where we can socialize too. I like it, especially since I am new to the area and still trying to meet people. Isn't a crawl where you jog to each pub and have a drink before you jog to the next one? The pub run was good tonight. There is a fast woman who slows down for me on these runs. She helps me break 10 minute miles for the 3 mile run. Today was faster than last week by 20 seconds (29:27)! It's tough because she really pushes me but I like it because it is my shortest day so the pace is good. I still don't know how to get faster but I'll just keep running and see what happens.

Does anyone have any tips on getting faster?

Ang
Old 07-15-2004, 10:52 PM   #40  

Default pub crawl

hi ang,

a pub crawl is when you walk from pub to pub drinking all night and end up crawling to last one. i've never been on on of the official ones in university though. well thank goodness you weren't running from pub to pub, you could hurt yourself.
toget faster you have to incorporate sprints into your runs. usually you would have a short, medium and long day of running. there is a specific way of doing it and i don't how. ask a trainer or look it up on one of the web sites. it may also depend on how fit you are. right now getting faster for me is just running more. so it's good to get advice from someone who can evaluate you properly.

good luck
patient gen
gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 01:45 PM   #41  
Persistent and Stubborn

thanks for the advice gen. right now I have a track workout once a week with my running club so hopefully that will help with speed. I definitely need to up my miles per week but I think that has more to do with my schedule and priorities.

Congratulations btw on your continued weight loss. I wish I knew how to do it. Again, maybe more miles on the road will help. How much do you runa week?

Ang
Old 07-16-2004, 03:05 PM   #42  

Hi everyone I think that I have figured out the problem with my stomach. I think that i am having problems eating strawberries. We have a patch at our new house and I have alwaysloved strawberries and everyday that I have been eating them I have been sick sick sick. But the couple of days that I didn't eat them I have been OK.
Those programs are great. We tried to have someone come to our town but if we didn't have the numbers they wouldn't come and the number were not there. There poeple in the same boat as you is great help too. I have been lucky to find people close to the same level as me.
Well I am taking today totally off. I hope that everyone has a great day. Gen be carefull at the pub crawl
Tanya
Old 07-16-2004, 03:10 PM   #43  

Well it looks like my first post didn't get though. So far I am felling better today had a very rough night. I think that I am allergic to strawberries. We just moved to a house with a patch and I have been sick everytime that I have been eating them lately.
Well taking today totally off and hope that everyone is doing well. Gen have fun at the pub crawl and congrats on the loss.
tanya
Old 07-16-2004, 08:56 PM   #44  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

Default Running & Pubs

hmmm. Should we start a 10 in 10 thread? I am excited about training for a 10K, even if I don't run it. But WHAT IF I do? Wooooo Hooooooo!!!!

Didn't run today. It is so hot and humid, even at 6:00 AM here. I need to wait for cooler weather. XXX that out. I'm going to run tomorrow morning. The PLAN!!!

I think a Pub Run sounds like a lot of fun. Of course, I'm up for the Pub Crawl, too. We just have to run like maniacs the next jillion days to make up for it
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 09:18 AM   #45  
Persistent and Stubborn

Tanya - I'm so glad you figured out what was bothering your stomach. Bad news if you love strawberries though. Enjoy your day off.

I am taking running shoes with me to visit my family but I am not holding my breath that I will actually run. We'll see.

Tig - maybe we can combine goals and say that there should be a pub crawl after the 10k. Good motivation? I am hoping that training for something will help me get focused, like you, whether I run the race or not.

I'm off to see the family. Have a great weekend.

Ang