Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-20-2004, 09:56 AM   #136  
Running Babe

I'll run today and Sunday and hopefully do some WT tomorrow and maybe a bike ride? I'll see.

Tig: Gotta love airports. I remember having to walk through Heathrow once, I think my flight to Montreal was at the absolute farthest gate and I weighed 243lbs at that point. I don't think it was a coincidence that I joined WW the week after Sorry about your flight though. BTW (sorry to sound Geographically challenged here), were you affected by teh Hurricanes at all?

Ang: I am running for 3 walking for 1 right now and notice my actual speed has increased tons. Next week we'll have a 4 and 1 split. We're working to a 10 and one.

Tanya: just letting you know you're not alone with the binging (I have struggled with it for the past 2.5 years, but it is under control now). The reasons for binging can be so complex too, mine was to avoid I think mostly. Take care eh!

Cheers!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:34 PM   #137  
Persistent and Stubborn

Tanya - I hope the running club works out for you. I think 12 out of 5000 is amazing. I'm hoping my running club picks up its enthusiasm soon. GReat job with running almost everyday. Still pain free?

Tig - I can't believe how much you worked out while you were away. You are an inspiration. I will think of you when I go on my trip next month and try to get in some exercise. Welcome home!

Ali - so good to hear your speed has increased. Did you run today as planned?

Nothing at all for me today and very bad eating out for the last 24 hours. I need to get back on the 'program' tomorrow and get this new weight back off and get on track. It always seems to happy that as soon as I start to lose and do well I have a relapse. I'm sure there is some psychology to it all (subconscious sabotage?).

Tomorrow I hope to mow some of lawn then bike to farm (~9.5 miles) where I will do farm stuff (light activity these days), and then bike home (mostly up hill I am afraid). Sunday will hopefully be a 6 mile run in the morning with club but only time will tell.
shyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 09:20 PM   #138  

Well, I went running yesterday (Saturday); it went ok, steady 2/4 min run/walk splits. I did something a little wonky to my ankle, though, and it has given me a few twinges. I was able to stretch it out today and go for a hike with a friend (2.5 mi with some hills) as well as do some weeding in the garden.

I'm going to have to adjust my running schedule this week since my fall night class starts on Wednesday. Happy new week, everyone!
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 10:04 PM   #139  
Ilene the Bean

Hello gang...

I'm fairly new to running. I've been running since December and I really like it. I'm trying to ween myself away from the treadmill and getting outside. I've only done it outside once so far , yea pathetic I know! I ran 3K in all and slowed to a walk only 3 times once to warm up, once to take a break, once to cool-down. I can run 5K on the treadmill going up and down between 4.5mph - 6.mph...

Sorry to be so long winded here, but my question is this. Should one run every day? Or take a day break inbetween? I'm not sure. I also bike, I do 20K pretty much daily but not when I run. I also don't do cardio on days that I weight train legs.

Was just wondering what everyone else did...Thanks and TTFN ....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 10:57 PM   #140  
Persistent and Stubborn

Laura - how did your ankle hold up with the hiking? Injuries are not a good thing. What is your fall night class in?

Welcome Ilene. Great job with your running.

Running outside is definitely different from running on a treadmill and you will have to get used to it. Don't be surprised when you can't run as much at first outside. Just keep at it. From most of the things I have read about running, especially at the beginning you should not run everyday to avoid overuse injuries. Since you bike you would probably be better off running 3 or 4 days a week and then biking the other days with maybe one day of complete rest. How often are you training your legs each week? This could be your rest day.

My goal is to run 3 (or 4) days a week and then bike (or some other aerobic activity) 2 other days a week. I know this is only moderate but it should be doable and that is the name of the game for me. I just want to lose weight and be healthy and be able to get in a routine I can maintain. What are your goals? Weight loss, running a marathon, etc.? The answers to these questions could change my response to your question. Glad to have you here and with more info I'm sure we can fully answer your question.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:49 AM   #141  
Running Babe

I ran twice this weekend, 5kms on Saturday (alone) and 3.6 yesterday(with the group). I really need to cross train though. My weight is plateauing although my eating has been fabulous. Ah plateaus are soooo humbling, but hey no giving up from me. I have been getting into clothes that have been too tight so that's good Weight is just a number, weight is just a number, weight is just a number...

Illene: Welcome! Running inside and outside are so different, but I prefer the latter, especially as the fall is quickly coming. Hills add resistance and hey the beauty and splendor of nature always adds fun (especially dodging the chipmunks that run across the trail near my house). I have been running recreationally for 4 years and decided to join a group and that has made a huge difference too. Son't worry about taking walks every now and then, we do that in my clinic to help us build endurance. My clinic instructor has said 3-4 times a week should be good enough, crossing that with biking on other days should be good since they both used the muscles differently.

Laura: I so want to go hiking. I am getting a friend of mine to go hiking in a few weeks and hopefully will convince the boyfriend to go sometime in October during the absolutely beautiful fall display of colour. Becareful of your ankle, I have naturally weak ankles which I have built strength in in recent years (dropping 100lbs helps too), so I have to make sure my shoes have excellent ankle support.

Ang: How did your run go yesterday? Just curious, do you have any incling to run a marathon? I really think it would be awesome to run one, so I am thinking about it.

Cheers!

Ali
Old 08-23-2004, 12:09 PM   #142  
cac

hi all,

Not sure what happened yesterday. I walked instead of running. Could not get the energy to run. Todya I ddi interval training on the tredmil for 20 minutes and upperbody.

cac
cac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 12:28 PM   #143  
Ilene the Bean

Thanks for your answers Ang and Ali...

To answer one of your questions Ang yes I would love to do a marathon or triathlon. There was one here a couple of weeks ago that I would love to do next year. There were several levels but the easiest one was the Try-a-tri which was 300m swim (in the St.Lawrence river!) 20k bike ride, 5k run... This is very doable for me, I just could not do it this year because of the swimming part I needed to train for this, this winter hubby and I will join a pool to do just that. The running "outside" was also detering me... Loosing weight, well who doesn't want to loose a few #s, but really I'd be happier if I lost body fat and went down in clothe size instead of the #s on the scale. I really think that if you do everything right, meaning exercise and eat healthy and clean unprocessed, don't fret too much about it, the weight and body fat MUST come down... It just takes patience... When I run on the treadmill I put it at a 2% incline, a guy at the Running Room suggested this would simulate being outside more... I think it has helped. I did run 3K in the neighborhood last week. It wasn't too bad, but boy my butt hurt when I got home, a good hurt tho...... Does anyone elses butt hurt after running?

Ali, I see that you're from Ottawa, I'm in Cornwall. There were several people from Montreal, Brockville, Kingston and Ottawa competing, maybe we could do this together? Wouldn't that be something?? I went this year as a spectator and I was impressed with some of the people doing the race and envious too... Your area has some beautiful trails in the Gatineau's I'd love to do that myself... Are you still running the 5k for "Run for the Cure" in October ?

I
Old 08-23-2004, 01:48 PM   #144  

Ilene, hi - I run every other day, and I would think that every day would be too much particularly if you're doing lifting and biking as well. I usually get some distance in walking everyday, though not too fast. My butt hurts some days after I run - it seems like every time another muscle sorta comes to the forefront and needs strengthening.

The hike was nice - 2.5 mi and it goes a lot faster when you have a friend to gossip w/ My ankle didn't give me any trouble once I stretched it out, but I sure can feel my hamstrings and quads this morning thanks to all the hills!

Ali, I did some damage to my ankles playing tennis in HS, so I'm not surprised that they're a little picky now. Usually I don't have trouble with them, but I should be careful to stretch, I know.

Ang, I'm taking a 20th Century European History class this semester; I'm getting my MA in history.

Cac, I have those days too - good for you that you stuck it out and did walking. Maybe you were just tired or fighting off a bug or just not in the mood. You'll get back in the swing of things, I'm sure.

I get to skip running today (thank goodness after that hike) and do it Tuesday, so that I'm on Tues/Thurs/Sat to accomodate my class. TTYL later!
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2004, 04:50 PM   #145  
Running Babe

Illene: Yup I am running the "Run for the Cure" and I am so thankful for the date of it. My bday is the day before so I will have added inspiration (and an excellent excuse)not to go overboard with my food and probably will ignore the alcohol (I rarely drink anyway, I think all summer I have had 1 beer). I am so fortunate to live where I live. I live about 1km from the Ottawa-Carleton Trailway (goes from Bell's corners to Carleton Place). Did you see the National Capital Race weekend? I just saw it letting out since I was downtown that day and I thought to myself "I should be there running". It would be awesome to get a 3FC contingent at a race one day! BTW are there any Running Rooms in Cornwall? That's who I do my clinic through. It's really terrible though, I've lived in Ottawa for three years and never have walked through Gatineau Park. Don't worry my butt feels sore after running.

Laura: my BF still occasionally feels an injury from his high school rugby career days. He's fine most of the time. Awesome about the MA in history. I have my BA in history and love the subject loads. I specialized in Canadian and American history.

Cheers!

Ali
Old 08-23-2004, 05:21 PM   #146  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Ali -- I think I saw the National Capical Race on the news, I'm not sure if it was that race or another ... There are so many on the go these days...UNFORTUNATELY, there are no Running Rooms in Cornwall...I was at the one on Bank in Ottawa a few weeks back. We go to Ottawa quite regularly, it's just a nice drive to get there. I go to the Eye Institute on Smyth and DD goes to CHEO ... I wish someone would open a Running Room in Cornwall, maybe eventually, because there is starting to be alot of runners around.

I did 5K on the today, I'm disappointed because I really wanted to run outside then it rained so I went to the gym and now it's clear as a bell outside, except for a good breeze! There's no way I could run again... Well maybe I can try after supper... Oh I'm babbling I know I probably won't go...

TTFN
Old 08-23-2004, 08:01 PM   #147  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

It was great to read what everybody is doing. I ran a total of three times last week on the DTM.

We ran early this morning before daybreak. I ran 20 minutes, walked two minutes and then ran another 15 minutes. It's starting to feel a tiny bit cooler. Not any less humid though. It felt great to get back to our early morning oh-dark-thirty routine.

I was in Orlando when Hurricane Charley headed towards Florida. We were sent home the day before Charley hit Orlando because of the storm path. We got a lot of wind at our house - we're about 60 miles east of Orlando, but no rain to speak of. We didn't get the severe weather like Orlando or even just north of us, and of course nothing like the southern part of the state. The power of wind and the ocean is humbling.

September is coming up - the beginning of the 5K races!! Hurray, hurray!!

Last edited by Tig; 08-23-2004 at 08:08 PM.
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 09:47 AM   #148  
Persistent and Stubborn

Hi Everyone!

Wow, everyone is running so much. I wish I could get inspired again to really put running as a priority but it is not happening right now. I put the bf before running this weekend so I did not run Sunday morning. I did run yesterday at lunch for 30 minutes though. I felt bad when I started (legs tired) but actually seemed to feel better as I continued to run and loosen the muscles maybe. I could have gone another 10 minutes or so but always feel stressed and rushed when I run at lunch because it takes so long and I don't want to abuse the flexibility I have at work. Maybe tonight I will run with my club but I am so tired right now that I'm not sure what will happen. I also need to mow my lawn - isn't that what husbands are for? Since that's not going to happen I guess I need to get my butt out there.

Have a great Tuesday!
Old 08-24-2004, 11:15 AM   #149  
singletrack chick

hi everyone, i'm new to the board. i love to run but have had a hard time getting motivated to do so. i plan on checking in with this thread so that i have someone to answer to. hopefully that will get me away from the computer and out into the street. i used to run quite frequently and gave it up for a while to focuss on my riding. now i am using running as a cross training method but i have lost a lot of the progress gained by giving it up for so long. my goal is to get a run in 3 times a week right now and start building up. well, happy trails, im off to run.

laura
laura_on_a_bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:34 PM   #150  

Hi everyone sorry that I have not been on for awhile. Love seeing all the new People BIG WELCOMES.
Well have been getting my runs in. We have been having cold wheather and rain. I am so glad that we have the treadmill. I hope to get back on today .
Well I run about 4 days a week. I think that if you don't over do the runs you could go more. What I mean by don't over do is like only 2miles a day not the 6 or miles like some people do. I try to keep to 2-4 miles with one long run about 6 miles.some training show that you can go 6 days a week. I thin it just depends on what you are training for.
Well everyone have a great run and how to check in soon.
Tanya
P.S. I am getting my weight back down only 3 more pounds to go.
2cutekids is offline   Reply With Quote